main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph On Earth, Everyone Can Hear You Scream: The Prometheus / Alien Discussion Thread (Romulus)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Whitey, Jul 30, 2009.

1. Whitey

Whitey Jedi Master star 6

Jan 26, 2003
  2. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Hmm.. well it's certainly the most promising thing in the Alien franchise in ages (okay, since Aliens :p). But that doesn't necessarily mean it's a good idea, though. I'm trying to figure out what a prequel would be about exactly. Could be good, but we'll see.

-sj loves kevin spacey

3. Asterix_of_Gaul

Asterix_of_Gaul Jedi Master star 5

Sep 13, 2007
    I heard about this...I'm excited!

I actually like all three Alien films. The fourth one...doesn't count.

Unfortunately, for the prequel, one of the biggest draws for me was Sigourney Weaver's performance as Lt. Ripley (one of the most bad-ass female characters ever in my opinion)...

I'm curious about the casting...the creature is cool, but I don't think it's enough on its own to carry a film.

Ridley Scott is...AMAZING, so that gives me hope.

Darth Majestic likes this.
  4. hudzu

hudzu Force Ghost star 6

Jun 1, 2003
    alien vs. weird creepy elephant alien in giant chair?

5. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    If they follow the idiotic trend of movies of recent years, we will probably be subjected to some puerile idiocy where Ripley, as a little girl, witnesses her beloved pet dog get killed when a tapeworm bursts from it's stomach, and ever after swears to hunt and kill insectoid parasites that burst out of peoples' bodies.

Yeah, I'm looking at you Star Trek, Batman, Willy Wonka, Silence of the Lambs prequel, et cetera

6. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    This could work, but only if Ripley is in no way involved in the story. If she has any knowledge of the alein race, it really diminishes the original movies, imo.

I would suspect the plot will have something to do with the corporation learning of the aleins' existence, and their first attempts to "harness" them.

7. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Ripley's father built Bishop? Come on, that's so lame...

What?

8. hudzu

hudzu Force Ghost star 6

Jun 1, 2003
    yes. ripleys father built a robot that wouldnt exist until like 70 years after the events of alien.

par for the course these days.

9. Asterix_of_Gaul

Asterix_of_Gaul Jedi Master star 5

Sep 13, 2007
    I just, don't understand why they're doing a prequel instead of a remake--not that Alien REALLY needs a remake, but...I don't exactly understand how a prequel would work for this story's universe...

Maybe it goes into how the company knew about the xenomorphs in the first place...

I don't really want to know about the elephant-looking aliens because I think it sits nicer as a box...unopened--something for the imagination.

10. Ambassador Cara Jade

Ambassador Cara Jade Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 23, 1999
    I'll stick with my old school Alien movies, thank you.

11. DarthLowBudget

DarthLowBudget Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 17, 2004
    Great. It's not like Sir Ridley should be tackling new original ideas or anything.

12. lexu

lexu Force Ghost star 6

May 28, 2002
    A remake of Alien wouldn't just unnecessary, it would be blasphemy.

Yeah, we'll see if this is at all worthwhile when they actually have a premise. Ridley Scott gives the idea some credit, but I'm still dubious.

13. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    I don't know that they will go this route but keep in mind that in AvP we see that Earth has been visited before. Nothing to keep the space jockey(the thing in the chair) from doing that very thing. Earth has a long pre-space capable hisory. The point here is that there can still be a human element.

14. Jedi-Anakin-Solo

Jedi-Anakin-Solo Force Ghost star 6

Dec 26, 2001
    I would rather see AvP3, to be honest. I thought the goal of AvP: Requiem was to get them all off Earth so AvP3 could totally take place in space.

15. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon

Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 17, 2000
    I don't think it's a coincidence that Aliens is also the last time there was anything NEW about the aliens themselves.

Good horror/slasher films are rare enough, but good sequels to those movies are even more elusive. I think the reason for this is that half the fun of a good movie in this genre is getting to know the villain. In sequels you already know the villain, so all that's left is the killing people part - which tends to get pretty samey after a while.

It's also very hard to put a good twist on an existing villain. All too often a character whose scariness was rooted in their mysterious nature will be ruined by an overdone expansion of franchise mythology (In Halloween, Michael Myers is scary precisely because no one knows WHY he kills; in Halloween 2 he is revealed as the evil spirit of Samhain. Lame...). Or sometimes the extra mythology is just a poor excuse for the villain's ability to return from being killed at the end of the previous movie and/or why THIS time he'll be dead "for good".

Aliens managed to avoid these traps largely because the villain is not a specific being but rather a species in general. But more importantly it works because it jumps genres and becomes an action film with some horror elements rather than a straight-up horror film like the original.

But all subsequent efforts have seen the xenomorphs bring nothing new to the table. They show up and kill people, the same as they always have. Some people manage to fight back, others don't. But it's all pretty much a been-there, done-that affair.

16. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    Not sure I'll see this. I prefer the original Alien movies, thanks so much. :p

17. Vezner

Vezner Force Ghost star 5

Dec 29, 2001
    lol! You sir, have been paying attention. Bring on more prequels, Hollywood! Show us your amazing creative powers!

18. Vezner

Vezner Force Ghost star 5

Dec 29, 2001
    Didn't they even hint at the space jocky in AVPR? I think a skull was in the Predator trophy room or something. Oh well. The series is going downhill anyway. It doesn't really matter to me what they do at this point. I won't be watching it.

19. Aytee-Aytee

Aytee-Aytee Jedi Master star 5

Jul 20, 2008
    Not sure how to feel about this one.....

While I enjoy Scott's work and loved the first movie....

His original idea for the ending was to have the alien kill Ripley and then deliver the message to earth mimicking her voice.

20. Crash_Davis

Crash_Davis Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 31, 2006
    Hahaha, I remember hearing that somewhere! He must have been smoking some primo ganja that night!

[face_laugh]

If anybody's gonna helm another Alien flick, I'd rather have it be the man who started the whole thing.

And also, I want to see ADI kicked to the curb. Bring back Giger!

21. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    After four horrible movies starring the xenomorphs (although the two AVP films are very fun once you have guzzled enough alchohol) I think it's about time Ridley Scott returned to direct a new horror based instalment to the franchise. After all, I'm sick of the xenos becoming canon fodder, I want to see a hive all act like the xenomorph in Alien. That way you can truly see the power of what these creatures can do and why their design is so timeless.

22. Aytee-Aytee

Aytee-Aytee Jedi Master star 5

Jul 20, 2008
    I'd even appreciate Stan Winston Studios coming back on.

Speaking of which.....will someone at Fox PLEASE give Cameron enough money and asskissery to convince him to make a proper AVP film?

23. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
  24. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    This is awesome news. The AVP movies were stinkers

25. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    [image=http://i697.photobucket.com/albums/vv335/DarthVerrick/Funny/1239017324091.jpg]