main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

On the Toy Nature of Star Wars

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Darth_Ebriated, Oct 14, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Ebriated

Darth_Ebriated Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 20, 2002
    I remember watching the Star Wars films AFTER playing with the figures when I was a kid and being amazed at the idea of the plastic toys coming to life on the screen. The idea of AUTHENTICITY is forged, I think, in the comparison between the aimless movements of the figurines in the hand of the child and the purposeful endeavors of the characters in the film.

It may not be a coincidence that in recent years, the toys came out three or four weeks between the release of the movies. Suddenly, the little plastic Anakin is moving and speaking.

I'm still at a loss to explain my fascination with the Star Wars films, even the prequels. But I think it has something to do with the psychology of playing with toys.

The child is given complete control over what happens to the toy, and so is given the oppertunity to DOMINATE his or her own sense of play, to view the world as a personal playground.

Anakin Skywalker, the central character of the series, seeks to create a playground of his world. He is angered not by the reality of failure, but by the necessity of maturity. Every circumstance that promises an oppertunity to play (racing, courting, the idea of Jedi Knighthood) is welcomed and any suggestion of examination is condemned. "You are asking me to be rational, that is something I know I cannot do." He is only saved from this megalomania when he chooses to fulfill his responsibility as a father.

The main idea of Star Wars, to me, is that the child must eventually put away his toys to attain peace.

The first half of the story (the prequels) illustrate the attendant chaos of repressed maturity (both in the films, and in public reactions to them), and second half the order created by addressing it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.