main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga On the (un)masking of Boba Fett...

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Duke Vadewalker, Oct 31, 2021.

1. Duke Vadewalker

Duke Vadewalker Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 5, 2016
    Let me preface by saying: I'm not an avid TCW watcher, and as far as the both the new and old EU are concerned, I've only ever bothered with a few key works. With that out of the way, perhaps those of you who have absorbed them all (for better or worse! :D) may have some canon knowledge or even just alternate theories on this:

Having just re-watched the last few Mandalorian S2 episodes (eagerly awaiting TBoBF), it occurs to me that from the OT onwards Boba never revealed his face under the infamous helmet until now. While we all know the real-world constraints, I've been contemplating the in-universe reason: Doubtless young Boba remained behind the mask while "on the job", thus his visage would not be known to the majority of the galaxy anyway, but as he grew up post-AotC, perhaps one of his associates remarked on a passing resemblance to the clones? Or perhaps one of his marks after Fett captured them... Either way I can imagine he wouldn't look kindly upon being compared to the clones (and I imagine whoever made the comparison never saw daylight again...), and after this he'd see a reason to keep the helmet on around all other beings, friend or foe.

What with both his armor being misappropriated after the Sarlacc Pit, and the vast majority of clones presumably being aged or dead by the time of the New Republic, it also seems logical that Boba would no longer bother to conceal his -now heavily burned/scarred- face.

Is there any canon detail (or even BTS commentary from The Mandalorian) that either gives support to or contradicts this idea? Does anyone have a differing view?

Ghost likes this.
  2. VaderBoyee

VaderBoyee Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 9, 2021
    I remember that fan film Wrath of the Mandalorian showing the back of his head as a shaved bald skull, and that's how he looks in the show!

3. Golbolco

Golbolco Jedi Master star 3

Jan 20, 2016
    I had this same thought this morning after watching the show. I think that growing up with a face shared with an army of millions would cause some identity problems for Boba Fett, so he probably formed his identity around his armor.

But also, physically speaking, Fett isn’t quite the same as the clones anymore. He’s been half-digested and then left out to dry under twin suns—that stuff makes you look different, probably sound different as well. Even if the bacta treatments have been healing some of that damage, I think Fett’s identity can now stretch far beyond being a man in a suit of armor.

4. SmokeMonster4815162342

SmokeMonster4815162342 Jedi Master star 3

Dec 31, 2015
    Seeing his face significantly lowers his appeal for me. The crazy faces Morrison makes doesn’t help at all, nor his distracting white teeth. Somehow he looks too friendly still, much less shady than Jango, and much less than behind the mask.

But maybe if they want Djinn to be the Mando who never shows his face, then they didn’t want to repeat it with Boba.

Intergalactic Lawman likes this.
  5. Intergalactic Lawman

Intergalactic Lawman Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 26, 2020
    They should have just had Pedro Pascal constantly removing his helmet and left Boba Fett as he always was...

6. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Boba Fett was unmasked back in 2002...

eko32eko7 likes this.
  7. IJjones41

IJjones41 Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 13, 2021
    Exactly. The moment we met Temuera Morrison as Jango Fett, learned that he was the template for the clones and that Boba was also a clone; the latter's face was revealed.

8. eko32eko7

eko32eko7 Jedi Master star 3

Jan 10, 2018
    Agreed. Reveled in 2002. Thus, there is no mystery and he should just keep the helmet on except when in personal quarters. Also, shoot more, talk less.