main
side
curve
  1. Welcome to the new boards! Details here!

Beyond - Legends Once a Warrior [TUF ?Missing Moment? ? Tahiri/Kunra?!]

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Thrawn McEwok, Sep 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thrawn McEwok

Thrawn McEwok Co-Author: Essential Guide to Warfare star 6 VIP

May 9, 2000
    [Yes? it?s another McEwok ?missing moment?. [face_mischief]

This one falls somewhere in the last two chapters of The Unifying Force? inspired, I suppose, by a hoojib that bit me while I was reading Tahiri?s encounter with Kunra in The Final Prophecy?

The usual disclaimers apply: STAR WARS is owned by George; this is just a personal, not-for-profit artistic response and critical commentary; and we?re all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the sea of stars?.

And? Tahiri/Kunra?! ;)

Um, yeah - you?ll see! :D]

Once a Warrior
    by Thrawn McEwok

My name is Kunra.

I am, for want of a better definition, a Yuuzhan Vong of the warrior caste.

Few Yuuzhan Vong warriors would seek my company, however. Even now, now that the old certainties of caste and honour are dead, old prejudices die hard, and certain crimes retain their stigma.

Not least for those who have committed them.

Coward. Traitor. Heretic.

I am all these things.

So perhaps it is understandable that I prefer to walk my own path.

Or perhaps I just ran away again.

I have made my eyrie in what was once a penthouse apartment, high in the upperworks of one of Coruscant?s ruined skyscrapers. Before the war, it was home to a prosperous human family ? typical members, I suppose, of the New Republic?s administrative élite. Framed holos of them still hang on the wall above the hearth. I have wiped away the dust and cobwebs from them.

Part of me thinks that they might come back one day.

I do not think anyone will mind me being here, though. In my heart of hearts, I doubt, that anyone else will ever return to claim this place. I have discouraged the wild animals who moved into the block after the conquest, and marked out my own personal space. I have claimed the main living area, part of the kitchen area, and one of the bedrooms.

My bedroom.

This is my home.

This is enough for me.

Now, I am crouched over the fire I have built in one end of the room. A simple hunter?s hearth, a circle of stones ? or, in this case, fragments of duracrete aggregate ? around a fire of salvaged wood, dried wrack, and charcoal.

I am cooking.

A fire-blackened pot of bubbling stew is bedded down at an angle on one side of the heap of coals. On the opposite side, two eggs that I scavenged from the nests in the rooftop hangar, frying on a broken slate. I squat beside the hearth, watching my eggs and my stew, using my knife to gut and skin a hawk-bat from one of my snares. With a little seasoning, it is surprisingly palatable.

First, catch your hawk-bat, as the proverb goes.

I am, I have to confess, enjoying myself.

It is approaching sunset ? I long ago stopped living by the precise rule of chronometers ? and the air is warm and balmy, in the pleasant way of a summer afternoon as the midday heat cools. Golden sunlight still falls through the vine-framed windows behind my back, warming my shoulders and the nape of my neck, and casting mottled patterns across the floorboards around me.

But the sunlight only reaches so far. At the far end of the main space, framed by shadows, a rank of windows stretches the width of the wall, reaching from floor to ceiling. If I cock my head to the side, and look along that way, I can see the first stars of the night shining through the blue-grey veil of the evening sky.

I stand there, sometimes, in front of the shattered panes ? surveying the view out across the abandonned city. Conquest, desolation, and liberation have only added to the stark grandeur of the skyscrapers, emphasising their strength. I like this wilderness of broken glass, chipped ferrocrete, scarred durasteel, and intermittent undergrowth. I feel as though I belong here.

I was never a terribly good Yuuzhan Vong.

I have seen the slow-burning sunrise, the colours of flowing blood and molten bronze seeping across the sky. I have seen the midday heat, the dead city shimmering beneath the empty blue sky. But as the day darkens and the air cools, the skyscrapers will become black silhouettes

2. flowerbee

flowerbee Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 29, 2004
    Very interesting Ewok. I will admit I was a bit creeped out when I saw the slash. But, =D=

3. FamousAmos

FamousAmos VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 9, 2003
    Thrawn, you've done it again! I came here expecting another A/M type story, but I never saw the Anakin = Kunra thing coming. Brilliant =D=

I like Kunra's/Anakin's thoughts in the begining - Very cool stuff. And the part about old prejudices dying hard is true. Very true :(

All in all, very enjoyable. Great job :)

4. YodaKenobi

YodaKenobi VIP star 6 VIP

May 27, 2003
    And? Tahiri/Kunra?!
    Um, yeah - you?ll see!

I already don't like this :p

Well, I do like the first person perspective, and that of a simple Shamed One makes it all the more interesting.

I am cooking.

Should have titled this "I am warrior" or "I, Warrior" :p

I was never a terribly good Yuuzhan Vong.

I agree.

but a deeper instinct tells me not to.

That of a coward? 8-}

?Jeedai?? she asks. I smile. I like the way she pronounces the word, lightly mocking my attempt at subterfuge with the infidel inflection in her voice. ?Don?t you Jeedai me, Anakin Solo.?

:eek: :oops:

?You got me,? I admit,

Yeah, you got me too, Thrawn =D= well done!

I was wondering why Kunra would be in what I assumed was the Solo's apartment.

I?m supposed to be five foot ten, human, a Jedi Knight, and two years dead.
    Instead, she?s looking at six foot, seven inches of alien warrior ? very much alive, but for all my connection to the Force, you might as well swap me out for hard vacuum.

How is that possible? Is that just what she sees somehow, or how he sees himself?

I owe her an explanation, I suppose. That, after all, is what she?s here for.
    I?m not going to allow myself to hope for anything more.

I'm assuming and hoping this isn't just a one-poster :D Great stuff, Thrawn. You've surprised me once again.

5. Dantana Skywalker

Dantana Skywalker Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 7, 2002
    Morbid curiosity made me read this. And I liked it! :p Nice twist. [face_devil]

Dana

6. Abby

Abby Jedi Master star 4

Jan 7, 2004
    Wow.

Gotta say, I didn't see that coming!

Very eeeeeeeeeenteresting :D. Are we going to find out what Anakin/Kunra's explanation is?

More more!

~Abby~

7. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Jedi Grand Master star 9

Mar 26, 2001
    Whoa, that was beyond unpredictable! Holy Force! Well-done. There were subtle marks that led to the conclusion.

8. Babi_Tahiri

Babi_Tahiri Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 29, 2003
    I sorta saw it coming. I had an idea that it might be Anakin, but wasn't quite sure. I certainly hope there's more of this!

~^~ Tahiri ~^~

9. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    Like Dantana, morbid curiosity caused me to click. I've always like Kunra...now I know why. [face_mischief]

This was brilliant! =D=

10. Thrawn McEwok

May 9, 2000
    flowerbee: Very interesting Ewok. I will admit I was a bit creeped out when I saw the slash.

Aye... though bear in mind, it's less that it's not K/T, than that I made you reassess what K/T might mean... ;)

But, =D=

[face_blush] Thanks! :cool:

Amos:Thrawn, you've done it again! I came here expecting another A/M type story, but I never saw the Anakin = Kunra thing coming. Brilliant =D=

Shucks! [face_blush] :D Thanks! :cool:

But... what do you mean exactly by "another A/M type story"...? [face_whistling]

I mean... that was an incentive for you to read this?! :p [face_mischief] :eek: [face_laugh]

I like Kunra's/Anakin's thoughts in the begining - Very cool stuff. And the part about old prejudices dying hard is true. Very true :(

[face_plain] From a certain point of view... :p

All in all, very enjoyable. Great job :)

Thanks again! :D

YK: I already don't like this :p

Heh. You sure? :)

Well, I do like the first person perspective, and that of a simple Shamed One makes it all the more interesting.

:D Are you sure he's just a "simple Shamed One"...? [face_mischief]

Should have titled this "I am warrior" or "I, Warrior" :p

Nah... I thought about that, but it's not strictly true, is it...?

And besides, Anakunra isn't necessarily going to be the only POV character... ;)

I agree.

Noticed that, did you? :D

That of a coward? :rolleyes:

Hadn't thought of that! But, yeah - perhaps! ;)

" :eek: :oops:"

Hah! :D

Yeah, you got me too, Thrawn =D= well done!

What's with all this " =D="!? :eek: [face_blush]

But... thanks! I was worried that people would see straight through Kunra, or think that the "twist" was really jumping the shark... [face_plain] :p [face_frustrated]

Thanks! :)

I was wondering why Kunra would be in what I assumed was the Solo's apartment.

Heh. I was wondering if people would pick up on that... ;)

Well, the answer is, he came home...

How is that possible? Is that just what she sees somehow, or how he sees himself?

It's who he is. It's quite straightforward, I'm afraid. Just... painful... [face_plain]

I'm assuming and hoping this isn't just a one-poster :D Great stuff, Thrawn. You've surprised me once again.

Nah... I feel there's an explanation owed... I just hope it lives up to the enjoyment everyone seems to have got out of this bit... ( [face_blush] :)!)

Dana: Morbid curiosity made me read this. And I liked it! :p Nice twist. [face_devil]

:cool: Thanks! [face_blush]

By "morbid curiosity", don't you mean "the resigned weariness of a Mod faced with a McEwok 'fic with an interspecies 'ship in the header line"...? [face_mischief] :p

Is your curiosity satisfied yet...? ;) :p

Abby: Wow.

Gotta say, I didn't see that coming!

Very eeeeeeeeeenteresting :D. Are we going to find out what Anakin/Kunra's explanation is?

More more!

Oh, okay then... :)

And yes, you'll see what happened to Anakin. Thought, that said, I'm worried it's going to seem kinda... obvious... :confused: [face_thinking]

DarthIshtar: Whoa, that was beyond unpredictable! Holy Force! Well-done. There were subtle marks that led to the conclusion.

:D And aye, that was what I was hoping - out of interest, when did you guess, and what did you pick up on? :)

Knowing me, it won't have been the hints that I dropped into the 'fic... ;)

Babi_Tahiri: I sorta saw it coming. I had an idea that it might be Anakin, but wasn't quite sure. I certainly hope there's more of this!

:D Aye, there should be more... and I'm really glad you liked it even when you had a hunch what was going on! :)

rhonderoo: Like Dantana, morbid curiosity caused me to click. I've always like Kunra...now I know why. [face_mischief]

Heh. It does make a funny sort of sense, doesn't it? ;)

This was brilliant! =D=

[face_blush] :cool: Thanks! :D

I don't normally get applause! :eek: [face_blush]

[:D]

:D :cool:

- The Imperia

11. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    WOW! I completely hooked on this one! LOVED IT! The language was powerful and you've really created something special here.

Instead, she?s looking at six foot, seven inches of alien warrior ? very much alive, but for all my connection to the Force, you might as well swap me out for hard vacuum.

I owe her an explanation, I suppose. That, after all, is what she?s here for.

I?m not going to allow myself to hope for anything more.

You MUST update soon!

12. Dantana Skywalker

Dantana Skywalker Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 7, 2002
    By "morbid curiosity", don't you mean "the resigned weariness of a Mod faced with a McEwok 'fic with an interspecies 'ship in the header line"...?

Well, I must admit, that was part of it. :p I had the thought, "I better check this out." But it was also the A/T 'shipper in me. I was just drawn to it.

Is your curiosity satisfied yet...?

Not quite yet. Will there be more? :-D

Dana

13. Vongchild

Vongchild Jedi Master star 5

Apr 2, 2004
    very wonderful!!!! :D Always thought Tahiri/Kunra was a good pairing. and the Kunra=Anakin was just hillarious.

He had it coming.... He had it coming.... he had it coming all along...

14. Jags_Scoundrel

Jags_Scoundrel Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2003
    Yes? it?s another McEwok ?missing moment?.

Yes, I've got to admit, my first reaction to that statement was " :eek: Uh oh." :p [face_laugh]

Seriously, that was, as usual, another brilliant piece of work. =D=

I had guessed that the apartment was the Solos', but (not surprisingly ;)) I didn't see Kunra=Anakin coming!

Patiently awaiting more! :D

15. LukesTheMan

LukesTheMan Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 30, 2004
    Very cool story, original and well written. Can't wait for more.

16. Thrawn McEwok

May 9, 2000
    VaderLVR64: WOW! I completely hooked on this one! LOVED IT! The language was powerful and you've really created something special here.

[face_blush] :eek: Thanks! I'm... a little awed... to be getting this sort of response... :cool:

You MUST update soon!

Um... define "soon"? :p [face_laugh]

Dana: Well, I must admit, that was part of it. :p I had the thought, "I better check this out." But it was also the A/T 'shipper in me. I was just drawn to it.

Heh... kudos to the collective unconscious! :D

Not quite yet. Will there be more? :-D

That's the idea, isn't it...? I mean, I assume you're wanting to know how the heck I'm going to explain a dead Anakin that Jaina could identify in the Force at the end of SbS, right...? :p [face_mischief]

Vc: very wonderful!!!! :D Always thought Tahiri/Kunra was a good pairing. and the Kunra=Anakin was just hillarious.

:D But in a good way, I hope? [face_loran] ;) :)

He had it coming.... He had it coming.... he had it coming all along...

Who, Anakin "I'd never get a tatoo" Solo? :p [face_laugh]

Scoundrel: Yes, I've got to admit, my first reaction to that statement was " :eek: Uh oh." :p [face_laugh]

Heh. I'll have to find new means of misdirection before that one starts to get too old... ;)

Seriously, that was, as usual, another brilliant piece of work. =D=

[face_blush] :cool: Thanks! :D

And - any chance of more from you soon...? [face_thinking] [face_batting]

[I assume everyone else here has read all Scoundrel's 'fics by now, aye...? :)]

But that reminds me - I have replies to update on one of 'em! :D

I had guessed that the apartment was the Solos', but (not surprisingly :p) I didn't see Kunra=Anakin coming!

Well, it might have wrecked the 'fic for you if you had! [face_laugh]

And now that you have... any further thoughts? o_O

Patiently awaiting more! :D

" [face_batting]"? ;) :D

LukesTheMan: Very cool story, original and well written. Can't wait for more.

Thanks! :cool: :D

I have to admit, though... part of me was tempted just to leave it there... [face_mischief]

:p

- The Imperial Ewok

17. RK_Striker_JK_5

RK_Striker_JK_5 Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 2, 2003
    I have read some of your stuff before, Thrawn, both here and on the lit. boards, so I must confess I was expecting some sort of twist at the end. Still, correcting one of the NJO's many flaws was a good thing.

Your writing was quite descriptive and evocative. You left little hints here and there that could set off someone's mind to work, but only if they looked for it. The home Ankin/Kunra occupies is obviously Han and Leia's old apartment. And when Tahiri comes along, it's quite well-written.

Nice job, dude.

18. Daughterofflame

Daughterofflame Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 11, 2003
    OK, I'm replying. Very nice. I'm enjoying so far. And history is once again pursuing me, so I must depart. An update soon? ~*~Austyn

19. Elena

Elena Jedi Master star 3

Aug 16, 2003
    And when did this happen?

Elena

20. Lonewolf89

Lonewolf89 Jedi Master star 5

Sep 26, 2001
    Okay, I?ll start off by saying that while I hadn?t read TUF, when I saw your name I decided to go ahead and pop in anyway. As usual, you managed to surprise me. :D

Very well written. The first person narration seems to be getting around the boards a lot lately, and I really enjoyed this one. I was able to get an idea of ?Kunra? personality simply by the way he described himself. (I thought I detected a familiar self depreciating sense of humor there.[face_mischief] )

I stand there, sometimes, in front of the shattered panes ? surveying the view out across the abandonned city. Conquest, desolation, and liberation have only added to the stark grandeur of the skyscrapers, emphasising their strength. I like this wilderness of broken glass, chipped ferrocrete, scarred durasteel, and intermittent undergrowth. I feel as though I belong here.

I loved that part! Great imagery!

I was never a terribly good Yuuzhan Vong. [face_laugh]

Call it an obsession. Call it love. Call it madness. :)

?Jeedai?? she asks. I smile. I like the way she pronounces the word, lightly mocking my attempt at subterfuge with the infidel inflection in her voice. ?Don?t you Jeedai me, Anakin Solo.? :eek:

Okay, I think I had a bit of a heart attack there. I also began grinning like an idiot. Awesome!

I?m supposed to be five foot ten, human, a Jedi Knight, and two years dead. Two words come to mind here.... Ya? think!

Hehehehe, great work, Thrawn! I?m looking forward to more. I can?t wait to see what happens! (There will be more... right? [face_hopeful] )

21. JDH3

JDH3 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 27, 2003
    Thrawn! [face_thinking] :oops: :cool: :D This is excellent, but beyond that? :confused: Honestly, Ewok, I don't know how you come up with this stuff?! Having no words to properly sum up my thoughts, I'll settle for... =D= =D= =D=

JD.

22. Thrawn McEwok

May 9, 2000
    Striker: I have read some of your stuff before, Thrawn, both here and on the lit. boards, so I must confess I was expecting some sort of twist at the end. Still, correcting one of the NJO's many flaws was a good thing.

Flaws? The NJO doesn't have flaws. You just need to read it right...

This is in-continuity. You've got that, aye? :p

Nice job, dude

Thanks! :cool: :D

Austyn: OK, I'm replying. Very nice. I'm enjoying so far. And history is once again pursuing me, so I must depart. An update soon?

That's the plan! :D

And thanks! :cool:

Elena: And when did this happen?

:cool: Somewhere underneath the coda of TUF... why? [face_whistling]

Lonewolf: Okay, I?ll start off by saying that while I hadn?t read TUF, when I saw your name I decided to go ahead and pop in anyway. As usual, you managed to surprise me. :D

[face_blush] Thanks :cool:

Very well written. The first person narration seems to be getting around the boards a lot lately, and I really enjoyed this one. I was able to get an idea of ?Kunra? personality simply by the way he described himself. (I thought I detected a familiar self depreciating sense of humor there. [face_mischief] )

Aye? :p

Okay, I think I had a bit of a heart attack there. I also began grinning like an idiot. Awesome!

Heh. Aye... that's the idea...

Two words come to mind here.... Ya? think!

[face_laugh]

Hehehehe, great work, Thrawn! I?m looking forward to more. I can?t wait to see what happens! (There will be more... right? [face_hopeful] )

That's the plan! :D

JD: Thrawn! [face_thinking] :oops: :cool: :D

JD! :p [face_laugh] :D

This is excellent,

[face_blush] Thanks! :D

but beyond that? :confused: Honestly, Ewok, I don't know how you come up with this stuff?!

Hoojibs bite me? :p [face_blush]

In this case, it was the result of two unrelated moments of fannishness that occurred in close proximity a few months ago - someone came up with the rather neat suggestion that Kunra was Baljos Arnjak in a masquer, and, in trying to retell a scene from the NJO over in DP, I ran up against a bizarre question - "Whuh?! Where the heck did Three Scourge just go?!"

As one does... :p

These ideas gnawed away in the back of my mind, and in spare moments, I reread most of the Vong stuff in the second half of the EU... a few things stood out, though it seemed unlikely that Kunra was Baljos - when he's injured in Remnant, his face blanches, which would be hard for a masquer, and you'd think Nom Anor would notice a cloaker when he's treating his leg... but I let it all steep for a while...

It's not, of course, impossible, that Baljos is Kunra, but that would imply a different sort of strangeness...

Having no words to properly sum up my thoughts, I'll settle for... [face_dancing] [face_dancing] [face_dancing]

[face_blush] :D :p

Touché!

- The Imperial Ewok

23. RK_Striker_JK_5

RK_Striker_JK_5 Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 2, 2003
    Well, then, Mister McEwok, then i shall never 'understand' the NJO, since I'll never read it again.

It's a shame you weren't an NJO author, I would've found it quite tolerable...

24. YodaKenobi

YodaKenobi VIP star 6 VIP

May 27, 2003
    Heh. You sure?

nah, by the end I liked it :p

Nah... I thought about that, but it's not strictly true, is it...?

No, not once I got to the twist.

And besides, Anakunra isn't necessarily going to be the only POV character...

Good, I'll be interested to know what Tahiri really sees.

Hadn't thought of that! But, yeah - perhaps!

Well, coward isn't Anakin's natural instinct ;)

What's with all this " =D="!?

I'm applauding it because I didn't see it coming and it was nicely done.

But... thanks! I was worried that people would see straight through Kunra, or think that the "twist" was really jumping the shark...

No, I thought it was fairly clever :D and given your discussion of "odd" pairing, IMHO, I didn't see it coming.

Thanks!

Heh. I was wondering if people would pick up on that...
    Well, the answer is, he came home...

Yeah, I had Jimmy do the same in one of my fics, so maybe that's why I caught it.

It's who he is. It's quite straightforward, I'm afraid. Just... painful...

yes, painful as it's going to give me a headache to figure out! :p

Nah... I feel there's an explanation owed... I just hope it lives up to the enjoyment everyone seems to have got out of this bit... ( !)

Good, I was worried this was only meant to tease us.

25. Tahi

Tahi Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    Beautiful imagery as usual, Thrawn. Poetry in prose. :)

Yep - I guessed it was the Solos' apartment, but the Anakin identity caught me. Nicely done. I shall obviously have to make some time to finally finish TUF. LOL

There were some echoes there in one of the paragraphs of something I've read or seen lately - but I can't put my finger on it. Hope it's not a sign of encroaching senility. ;) Hang on - I've just made the connection. Woohoo. That paragraph beginning "I have seen the slow-burning sunrise . . . " reminds me of that very evocative speech made at the end of the movie by the replicant in Blade Runner - the one played by Rutger Hauer. Marvellous stuff.

Can't wait to see the explanation. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.