main
side
curve

Beyond - Legends Once a Warrior [TUF ?Missing Moment? ? Tahiri/Kunra?!]

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Thrawn McEwok, Sep 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thrawn McEwok

Thrawn McEwok Co-Author: Essential Guide to Warfare star 6 VIP

May 9, 2000
    Tahi: Yay! Got here at last. It's late and my eyes are falling out of their sockets - but I'm bookmarking this so I can read it hopefully tomorrow. Congrats on finishing it - can't wait to see how you've crafted the ending. :)

Yay for you! :D [face_dancing]

Welcome back! [:D]

And - :cool:? That help with the tiredness...? o_O :p :D

Okay - I decided to reread the whole thing at Wookieehut to get the sequence.

:D Great website, isn't it?

I found Tahiri's observations about Anakin/Kunra particularly helpful, so I'm glad I reread it. I kind of like the image of Anakin fixing the holoproj so he can watch the smashball finals. LOL In some ways I think that scene "locates" Anakin/Kunra the best.

:p :D Yeah... on the one hand, he's still a kid at home; on another, Anakin Solo, with all that both halves of his name imply for an affinity for technology; and again, a Yuuzhan Vong warrior in a messed-up Galaxy... :D

Or something?

That was in the third post. I liked the way you slipped that echo of one of Anakin's statement in Rebirth into Kunra's narrative, especially as the original was said in reference to Corran's reprimands, and in this scene, Kunra has just met up with Corran.

Totally unconscious, I think - it seemed to me to be something of a refrain for Anakin, especially when written by Stackpole and Keyes - and something that Kunra would look back on with rueful irony... :p :D

Anakin's comment about understanding the language of pain reminded me of Tahiri's comment in Rebel Stand that most people drown in pain, but she swims in it.

Similar, but different?

Again -

You're going to confuse people looking for that quote... :p

( :D ;))

I like the way you use those little echoes of the past to forge links between events. Here I was reminded of Vader's comment to Luke in RotJ that his old name no longer has any meaning. It raises the whole argument about what's in a name, and does the name make any difference - and of course - the whole issue of subjectivity and what makes us "us".

Yep. I wanted to ask the questions, rather than try to answer them - which was a fun way of going about it... :cool: [face_blush] :) Glad you enjoyed! :D

A little digression here, but funnily enough - a couple of years ago on the Anakin Solo thread in Lit, I recall putting forward a theory that it was possible that the body Jaina and Tahiri recovered on the worldship was not in fact Anakin but some kind of simulacrum. I suggested that it was a dead body, possibly of a slave, with an Anakin ooglith on it. So I really like your idea in this story of it being a dead body with Anakin's skin on it - do great minds think alike or what? ;) (Don't answer that BTW.)

Fools seldom... oh, sorry!! :p [face_blush] ;)

Ooglith masquer, hmm? Why didn't I think of that? :p

Well, I figured that they needed something that would survive an autopsy/Force investigation, and since they didn't need the outer bits of Anakin for Kunra, most of them being friend anyway... :p

My memory - which is a bit hazy at the best of times - needs a bit of help recalling when Kunra first appeared in the books. And when you say it was Kunra's skin sewed on to Anakin's muscle mass, am I right to assume that Kunra is dead? Sorry to be such a ditz, but I think I recall Nom Anor killing Kunra but I'm not completely certain that IS in fact the case. I sometimes get fan fics muddled with canon. LOL

No, I think that was in Yobi's 'fic, though you may also be thinking of the scene (in Reunion, I think) where Kunra dispatches the Shamed Ones who're about to kill Nom Anor...

For what it's worth, Kunra is introduced in Refugee, and he apears through FH3, TFP and TUF; as far as I can find, he's last seen exhorting the Shamed Ones to revolt, though I identified him with the ex-warrior leading the group fighting alongside the Jedi, who directs them up to Shimrra's throne room...

Not that dying again is necessarily a problem for him... :p ;)

In this 'fic, th

2. Tahi

Tahi Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    I forgot to say that I had a giggle at your sig - Queen Rule! ;) How I miss Freddie (Mercury) :(

In this 'fic, there never was a "real" Kunra, though. Like Riina, he's basically Anakin's new Yuuzhan Vong 'self'. Body-parts and memories all prosthetic, created in the damutek - including new muscle mass... the Vader analogy is probably quite good in terms of how much of Anakin was physically left.
    I kind of thought that was the case - which is why I asked the question about when Kunra appeared. I had a feeling he didn't appear until after SbS, but I couldn''t remember for sure. :)

Oooh! the teaser looks good. Kunra a politician? Do I sense some aggressive negotiations on the way? LOL

Beautiful description of space and the stars and Anakin's perceptions of it. :)

I'm definitely working on Sunday - so will miss the ceremony. So good luck. :)

3. Thrawn McEwok

May 9, 2000
    Tahi: I forgot to say that I had a giggle at your sig - Queen Rule! ;) How I miss Freddie (Mercury) :(

Yeah...

It tried to be a Dark Nest filk... [face_tired] ;)

I kind of thought that was the case - which is why I asked the question about when Kunra appeared. I had a feeling he didn't appear until after SbS, but I couldn''t remember for sure. :)

Aye - unless I've missed something... :p

Oooh! the teaser looks good. Kunra a politician? Do I sense some aggressive negotiations on the way? LOL

He's going to meet Jacen... so, obviously!! [face_laugh]

Beautiful description of space and the stars and Anakin's perceptions of it. :)

"I think it could be much better"? :p

I'm definitely working on Sunday - so will miss the ceremony. So good luck. :)

:p [face_blush] Thanks! You too! :D [:D]

- The Imperial Ewok

4. jagsredlady

jagsredlady Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 7, 2002
    Um, McEwok, are we ever going to see this sequel? :p *nudge* o_O

5. TahiriSoloFan

TahiriSoloFan Jedi Padawan star 4

May 20, 2003
    =D= I found it! Very good!

6. RK_Striker_JK_5

RK_Striker_JK_5 Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 2, 2003
    I sincerely apologize for forgetting about this, Thrawn.

3/27/05: Absolutely chilling in its frankness. Anakin's dead... long like Anakin.

4/6/05: A cocktail of steroids... Eew. And a kindly Vong? How surprising... and quite original. Loved that he still can laugh when he... expels wind. Cute kid, there.

4/11/05: No, it's probably a short process, skinning a man. Sorry, but how the hell is he still functional? Hmm, corpse-dressing to fool the Jedi?

7/13/05: Listen to Uncle Luke, Anakin. You're still you. Although his descent into Kunraness is just... freaky as all hell. And disturbing to me more than any physical description.

8/2/05: Post One-Yes, Anakin. You definitely need to sort out your relationship. And... the heck? He was in that scene with... been a bit since I red the NJO, I'll admit. Weird, there.

Post Two-Damn, why couldn't they have stuck together? *Sigh* WHOA!!!! Perfect ending! Awesome! Woo-hoo! True love wins out in end, all right!

Awesome fic, Thrawn. Glad I finally finished it. Again, you write the NJO better than the profic authors.

7. Thrawn McEwok

May 9, 2000
    [face_blush] Maybe one day... I think my unconscious is still holding me back from doing Kunra's POV on DN3, which is what the sequel would be...

At the minute, though, there are two new 'fics which can be read as continuing this storyline in a canon-compliant way: [link=http://boards.theforce.net/beyond_the_saga/b10477/23260769/]Blood Bonds[/link], which I really need to finish, and [link=http://boards.theforce.net/Beyond_the_Saga/b10477/24178957/]The Lovers[/link], which is just a one-shot, and complete...

Any good? :D

:D [face_blush] *Ewok-hugs legs in greeting* Thanks! :cool:

Thank you for remembering eventually - thanks for reading! :D :cool:

3/27/05: Absolutely chilling in its frankness. Anakin's dead... long like Anakin.

"Long live Anakin Solo"? *gestures up at Red's .sig... [face_mischief]

4/6/05: A cocktail of steroids... Eew. And a kindly Vong? How surprising... and quite original. Loved that he still can laugh when he... expels wind. Cute kid, there.

I suppose what that says is that even in this condition, Anakin is still Anakin...?

As to the Yuuzhan Vong, do you mean the Master Shaper or his Shaper Adept? Both, I'd say, could be called "kindly"...

Yal Phaath was in Conquest and Star by Star... and it was a lot of fun writing him from a different POV here. He has a good bedside manner, and he's a very competent surgeon - but that coexists with a surgical ruthlessness: just look at what he's just done to Anakin...

Niia Phaath is certainly naturally kind, but she's also intelligent and honourable - she understands pain, and probably ruthlessness, but she still has a young person's selfconfidence, buttressed by a sense of duty to and trust in her Master Shaper...

:D

4/11/05: No, it's probably a short process, skinning a man. Sorry, but how the hell is he still functional? Hmm, corpse-dressing to fool the Jedi?

The Yuuzhan Vong have very highly developed techniques to keep people alive and in pain. What's keeping Anakin going is the fact that the bits of him that are still working have been absolutely overloaded with biotech to keep them going - wrapped around by life-support creatures, directly grafted to electrochemical stimuli, and pumped full of all sorts of clever drugs and stimulants...

And on the dead Anakin - it's to fool Vergere and Nom Anor as well as the Jedi... all the outer layers are Anakin, and large parts of the inside, too (lower legs, forearms, jaw and mouth, some internal organs and stomach muscles). All of that also has Anakin's Force-signature, or rather the trace of where it once was, and to work out what's really happened, you have to dig deep, and then work out that it's not really Anakin...

7/13/05: Listen to Uncle Luke, Anakin. You're still you. Although his descent into Kunraness is just... freaky as all hell. And disturbing to me more than any physical description.

It's not as baroque? Not as space-fantastical? More real?

Or is it just that Kunra is still Anakin Solo that's the really freaky thing?

8/2/05: Post One-Yes, Anakin. You definitely need to sort out your relationship. And... the heck? He was in that scene with... been a bit since I red the NJO, I'll admit. Weird, there.

That wasn't Kunra - at least, not overtly. It was a warrior called Denua Ku, the subaltern who Tsavong Lah assigned to hold Viqi's leash in Allston's duology. However, it made perfect sense, within the framework of this story, if Denua Ku was Kunra/Anakin... not least because his key scar looked like a seam where his skin had been sewn on...

:p

The sequel is meant to explain more of this... [face_mischief]

Post Two-Damn, why couldn't they have stuck together? *Sigh* WHOA!!!! Perfect ending! Awesome! Woo-hoo! True lo

8. Maggy

Maggy Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 2, 2004
    ?Jeedai?? she asks. I smile. I like the way she pronounces the word, lightly mocking my attempt at subterfuge with the infidel inflection in her voice. ?Don?t you Jeedai me, Anakin Solo.?

=D= [face_laugh] [face_laugh] =D=

Instant Yuuzhan Vong.

sounds like ?instant soup?

It distracts me from the fact that, where Anakin Solo should be in the Force, there is?

? nothing at all.

how? Why? :eek:

?Nahh,? he grins, rubbing the hook of scar-tissue around his knee ? slightly self-consciously, but it?s a surprisingly relaxed gesture, considering. And suddenly, we?re back in Basic again. ?Hawk-Bat au Solo. Speciality of the house. Want some??

[face_laugh] [face_laugh]

?Eaten worse,? she says, reaching for the wine. ?Your cooking?s improved.?

*grins*

?Corran Horn,? Nom Anor whispers. ?The hero of Ithor ? I?ve told you about him, haven?t I? And Tahiri Veila.?The broken smile grows wide. ?You?ve heard of her, I?m sure.?

a tad bit more :p

To be fair, my thoughts as I look at them don?t amount to much more than an unquenched hunger for the ex-girlfriend I haven?t seen in almost a year. It feels a little like I imagine a Force-choke must. I hear the breath glide between my teeth, and I want to whisper her name.

almost a year? [face_thinking]

?Corran thought there was something funny about you,? she shrugs. ?Mentioned it to me ? but I just tucked it away as something to think about it later.? A shrug. ?Didn?t seem important. We were all on Zonama Sekot by then, and the last anyone had seen of you, you?d been on Coruscant, leading Nom Anor?s ersatz Jeedai on a diversionary attack ? with, what was it, a glowcane instead of a lightsaber??

*giggles* ERSATZ [face_thinking] As in replace?

When they?re finished, they rub salt into the wounds. Literally.

they do?

As I breathe out, I realise that I am Darth Vader.

the Yuuzhan Vong equivalent of the Dark Lord

He hears the screams, sees his father die. He hides in the storage-sac below the chew-board, shivering cold.

his VY ?father??

I just took the turbolift.

[face_laugh]

?Anakin?? she asks, eyebrows shooting up in interrogation.

?Hang on a minute,? I say. ?I?ll come with you.?

Aww perfect ending

I?m not really sure if I can put in voice what I have thought, felt and what this caused. But be assured it was very intense at times and let me gapping like a fish out of water.
    Have told you so already ;)
    Eventually I was even confused (at times) ? might be the lack of rereading the NJOs :p

This ?turbolift? part was a perfect laugh after this rather ?horrible? impressions of the shaping and the pain you felt while reading it .

Sorry for the rather ?short? review ? the fic was just too intense to let me find coherent and fitting words to it

=D=

*bows*

Awesome

~ Mags ~

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.