main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph One Thread To Rule Them All: The Rings of Power + The Hobbit & Lord of the Rings Trilogies

Discussion in 'Community' started by -Courtney-, Nov 25, 2006.

1. laurethiel1138

laurethiel1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 6, 2003
  2. MrZAP

MrZAP Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 2, 2007
    He's in his mid-nineties. I think he's done plenty.

Ghost likes this.
  3. laurethiel1138

laurethiel1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 6, 2003
    True, but it's still the end of an era...

cwustudent likes this.
  4. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    He will be succeeded by his nephew, J. R. R. Tolkien Jr., Jr.

TCF-1138 , EHT and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  5. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Maybe J. R. R. Tolkien Jr., Jr. will be hired as a consultant on the Amazon series.

6. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    I'm not sure if there's much left to even publish. The Children of Hurin, Beren and Luthien, the Fall of Gondolin are kind of just composed of everything that came before.

MrZAP likes this.
  7. MrZAP

Jun 2, 2007
    True that. Somehow Chris Tolkien managed to extend his father's output another forty years, which is incredible and much appreciated, but it has to end sometime, and it's kind of fitting that it ends with his (long overdue!) retirement.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2018
    PCCViking and Ghost like this.
  8. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    So you guys might remember this more than me, because I'm only a passing Tolkien fan and don't religiously follow this stuff as much as Star Wars:

Reading The Fall of Gondolin (which 100 pages is in excellent; I like the way Christopher Tolkien went about assembling this one and Alan Lee's art is top-notch as always), the narration seems pretty negative on the idea that the orcs/goblins we once elves. This reminds me of a disagreement some time back, some years ago, where this came up... I feel like maybe Chris Tolkien raised this before? I remember reading it somewhere, and I'm pretty sure it involved Chris, but I can't find it in the sea of Tolkienfandom online.

I know JRR, like George Lucas, changed his mind about things a lot, and the Wiki page reaffirms my memory that the Silmarillion was sort of vague ("maybe it's this, maybe it's that, dunno"). But so far twice now in the first 100 pages of FoG Chris is like "Some people say the orcs were once elves. And that is a no." Perhaps JRR wrote that and Chris is just repeating it, but I wonder if it was something he added for clarification? I don't know how much he adjusts when he transcribes this stuff. It sounded like a lot of this came from a document his mother recorded from JRR some time back based on the prologue, but the narration in this book is so flawless that I imagine Chris has taken pains to clean it up and change stuff here and there.

So yeah, if anyone remembers Chris having an issue with the orcs-are-elves bit, I'm curious. I feel like it's a memory I definitely had, but it was a long time ago. And it might not have been Chris -- maybe someone else close to JRR?

cwustudent likes this.
  9. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
  10. PCCViking

PCCViking 6x Wacky Wednesday Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Jun 12, 2014
    Love the Death Star as the Eye of Sauron.

Dooku would be Saruman (for obvious reasons), with Sidious as the human form of Sauron? :)

Jedi Merkurian and cwustudent like this.
  11. MrZAP

Jun 2, 2007
    I want this on my wall.

Well I haven't read The Fall of Gondolin, so bear with me, but my understanding is that the origin of the orcs is one of the things Tolkien was never able to fully settle on while he was alive. I know that Morgoth is explicitly unable to create life in the way that Eru can, and can only twist and corrupt it. I also know that Tolkien was always uncomfortable with the idea of an inherently or always evil race, and implied that there could be good orcs somewhere. However the orcs as corrupted elves explanation is the most prominent and accepted one and what I think most people go by.

12. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    i was going to answer similarly. the wiki article basically says the same thing, but goes into a lot of interesting detail.

MrZAP likes this.
  13. MrZAP

Jun 2, 2007
    I didn't know about the transformed beats theory. That's interesting, though I don't think I like it as a real possibility. I think the orcs have to have some degree of independence from their masters.

14. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    I prefer the transformed beets theory, wherein nature's candy, the delicious beet, was corrupted by Melkor to create the orcs, the least delicious of the races of Middle Earth.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2018
  15. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Well I'm only a hundred pages in so maybe he'll explain it more later. It seems odd because he's done it twice now, like a wink-wink hey those orcs? Not elves. He might be leading somewhere with it. This book is a lot more like a lengthy scene-by-scene narrative of certain parts from the Silmarillion than the fragments of drafts in Children of Hurin and Beren and Luthien (more CoH than B&L). And Sil covered the orc/elves connection more than anyone, so maybe he'll (er, they'll) get to it.

Beet theory is a good explanation of whatever it was we saw in the LotR films.

Sarge likes this.
  16. black_saber

black_saber Force Ghost star 5

Apr 4, 2002
    Not all the orcs where elves once, for thousands of years after there first appearance, they did breed amongs each other. I wished in the hobbit trilogy Peter Jackson would go into details explaining the difference between orcs and goblins, even thou in the books they are one in the same.

I just hope the tv show does not become a sjw project, diversity is not the issue.

17. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    See my signature.

Barriss_Coffee and tom like this.
  18. black_saber

Apr 4, 2002
    OK we can agree to disagree, done making my point. But I still want to talk about my Orcs and goblins reference

19. MrZAP

Jun 2, 2007
    Agree with first paragraph, *likes*

Reads second paragraph, *unlikes*

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  20. black_saber

Apr 4, 2002
    Thanks and everybody is entitled to there opinion. Lets also talk about the new lord of the ringd online universe game similar to Warcraft.

MrZAP likes this.
  21. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    I thought the most reasonable interpretation of orcs by JRRT was twofold:
    1) that the original 'orcs' were lesser Maiar that joined with him - sort of a few steps down from balrogs.
    2) When humans appeared, those that fully fell under Morgoth's control were infused with his corruption and became orcs. The original orcs became their leaders.

It's hard to fathom immortal orcs, or that they would be sent to Mandos upon their death. Other sources seem to indicate that he could never full subjugate elves, so it seems unlikely. (The discussions that Christopher has on the topic, collecting the changing views of JRRT, was - I believe - in Morgoth's Ring or The War of the Jewels).

As for The Fall of Gondolin, there's something beautiful about Christopher Tolkien's final book being about his father's original story regarding Middle-Earth.

22. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    That would have been the next one, The Tragedy of Shrute: The Battle for Market Price.

Turns out Beetsuman was actually working for the beets all along! :eek:

Ramza likes this.
  23. MrZAP

Jun 2, 2007
    Future Balrogs

Barriss_Coffee and Ramza like this.
  24. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    Let's all tip our hats to Christopher Tolkien and his incredible work ethic and dedication. The man has continued to preserve and promote his father's work forty five years after his death. That's just incredible.

He deserves his rest and retirement-I only hope future stewards of the legendarium are as passionate, prudent, and dedicated as he was.

25. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    I’ll just leave this here...