main
side
curve
  1. Welcome to the new boards! Details here!

Online CCGs

Discussion in 'Games: CCG, TCG, and Boardgames' started by Red84, Apr 9, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Red84

Red84 SWCCG Content Mgr. (Card Games) star 4 VIP

Oct 20, 2000
    There are plan for an official online game at this time since Decipher and LucasArts would have to corrabarate on it. And right now Decipher is focused on Tatooine, YJ Reflections, Boonta Eve Podrace, ST: Voyager, and Jedi Knights.

2. Anonymous_Jedi

Anonymous_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 4, 2001
    FINALLY!!!!!!!!!! It's about time they came out with a online SWCCG, i know they already did it with star treck, but i was praying that they would do it with SWCCG plz let me know if you here anything more!

3. Red84

Oct 20, 2000
    That should have read "are not any plans". I'm sorry that my fast typing mislead you :-(

4. Jedi Bib

Jedi Bib Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 16, 2000
    D'oh!

My method, from years of JC experience: type long complicated things in MS Word then cut and paste after a spell check. Helps with grammar too.

5. Red84

Oct 20, 2000
    Then there's the PREVIEW option that I always bypass before posting...

6. Skywalker2B

Skywalker2B Jedi Grand Master star 3

Dec 8, 2000
    Red84, I had heard that before I think on the misc. messageboard at decipher.com. "Officially" there are no plans for an online CCG for SW from "Decipher". However, someone is making an application that will allow you to organize your cards, build a deck, and eventually play online! I think it started as CardOrganizer (or something like that). I went to a site for it and saw some of the screen captures for it and it looked really good. I reminded me of a Microsoft Windows app like Access or Excel. Someone posted a link on decipher's messageboard. I think the online playing app is still in production mode, but the Organizer and Deck Maker are operational.

Also, I see a lot of people over there playing online via AIM. I don't know how that works though.

Just FYI.

Skywalker2B

7. Red84

Oct 20, 2000
    A lot of people have layed online via AIM, ICQ or in Decipher's "Palace" (remember that--wonder if it's still active). Anyway, my experience with it as an online game via those mediums has not been a good one. Gameplay is severely lengthened and it's hard to keep track of what is going on since you don't have the opponent's locations down. You really have to have your entire set with you and play just like you would chess by e-mail--which would be to have the cards your opponent is using out with yours and make his movements on your own table. But the biggest problem of all that I've seen is the amount of cheating and accusations of cheating which really makes it a bad environment.

8. Skywalker2B

Dec 8, 2000
    Uh, that's what I was afraid of. I don't know the cards well enough to play that way and I definately don't have the time.

The other one I mentioned was more like Card Table where you see the cards your opponent and you are playing. It will be just as if you were sitting at a table playing! If you have a question about what a card says you can call it up on your screen and even see the errata for it! I sounded pretty good, I just couldn't find out any more about it.

9. Jedikynes

Jedikynes Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 15, 2001
    In referance to Palace yes it is still acive I was in there the other day and is busy as heck. I have played a few games online via IRC(Internet Relay Chat)and it is very long game takes about 2 hours and most times with drops and such it's impossible to finish. though if they came out with an online gaming program it would work very well.

10. Red84

Oct 20, 2000
    I've yet to get the program to work for me...even after downloading it several times. A couple of friends of mine haven't been able to get it going either. Otherwise, yeah, it is a great idea.

11. Skywalker2B

Dec 8, 2000
    Red,

It took a little searching, but I finally found what I was looking for. Here's a few links that might interest you...

http://www.geocities.com/CardOrganizer/

and

http://www.cs.uidaho.edu/~holm9585/swccg/

12. Jedikynes

Jedikynes Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 15, 2001
    Skywalker-

I've been trying to get the program to work for me and it's saying that there is either the zip file is damaged trunucated or something and won't unzip. can you give me a hand?

13. Skywalker2B

Dec 8, 2000
    Unfortunately, no. I haven't tried to download it yet as I don't have access to MY own computer yet. (long story). I am using my dad's computer and don't want to put too much stuff on it. I would suggest contacting the guy that created it.

BTW, let me know how it works once you do so that when I finally get my computer back I'll get it and then we can play! :)

14. BigPoppaJabba

BigPoppaJabba Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 4, 2001
    The designers of Card Organizer (sp?) are going to be working on a virtual Card Table. If anyone wants to see a virtual card table that works well and has nearly everything the players of that particular game can want, see the Apprentice program for Magic. It's available at www.dragonstudios.com

I downloaded it mostly out of interest and I weasd darn impressed. There is little that you can't do for a game of magic.

Given, there are nmany things in SW:CCG that would be complicated to program, but if they take apprentice as an example, the online version would be good.

15. Teknobabel

Teknobabel Jedi Master star 5

Jun 4, 2000
    IF they copy the magic version then they'll be off to a good start, but the SW:CCG is a fair few levels of difficulty above magic.
    I'd like to see it in action though

16. BigPoppaJabba

Jun 4, 2001
    To say that SW:CCG is a fair few levels above Magic is true. The workings of the Magic game are fairly basic when it comes to where cards go etc., while the flow of the force would be, well, complicated to program.

However, Apprenticfe hasd many features that make Cardtable look amatuer.(sp?) TAke, for instance, the ability to look at your library(reserve deck) with the click of a button, move a card with click and drag into your hand, and then the program automatically reshuffles your deck. Anyone who has played a game via cardtable and searched their reserve deck using the next function will know the benefit of this.

There are many things I would like to see in a virtual card table for SW:CCG, but then again, what I know about programming can be written on the back of a postage stamp in large font.

What there do need to be are features that would make people say: hey, I am better off using this than AIM, IRC or Cardtable. For me, that would be as many time saving features as possible.

I wish the CGO creators all the best with their virtual Card Table.

17. Gadget

Gadget Jedi Youngling

Jun 20, 2001
    I've only skimmed the other posts, but one thing I don't think anyone's mentioned is that if Decipher makes an online SWCCG, and it's anything like the STCCG setup, you're going to have to pay for digital cards. This is the biggest ripoff since the pet rock! I downloaded the online STCCG software because I volunteered to be a beta tester. Because of that I've been getting some free "packs" of digital cards as thanks, but I would never shell out a dime for it personally.

I guess those of you who are made of money are getting a good laugh right now.

18. BigPoppaJabba

Jun 4, 2001
    I , too was dead keen to play ST:CCG online because I don't have any cards, but as soon as i saw the fact that you have to pay for cards I said FORGET IT!!!!

Therefor, even if D make a SW:CCG online game, I'm not having a bar of it. I've already spent heaps of dough on my collection. Why do it all over again?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.