main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Only Fools And Horses getting American remake

Discussion in 'Community' started by G-FETT, Feb 26, 2012.

1. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    Chateauneuf du Pape and menage a trois!!!!!

Wrong on so many levels

"Del Boy" is as British as fish and chips and Her Majesty the Queen.[face_shame_on_you]

2. darthhelinith

darthhelinith Force Ghost star 6

Feb 10, 2009
  3. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    And as we all know, nothing good ever came of the US retooling a British TV show.

[image=http://tvsurveillance.files.wordpress.com/2011/06/cheers-1007.jpg]

Nothing.

4. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    I've got some half-price cracked ice and mounds and mounds of carpet tiles.

5. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    I'm so disturbed at this news that it leaves me Cwying :_|

6. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    For no other reason than to link to it, we need Batman and Robin.

For me, OFAH stopped when they became rich. It was a perfect ending. The three specials that followed were a stain on the show - I think even those involved realise that now. Still, I can clearly remember watching the episode with the Batman and Robin sequence in it. Christmas night. 1996 I think. Anyway, afterwards I couldn't watch the remainder of the episode because I'd pulled a muscle in my stomach area from laughing so hard. :p :(

7. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    QFT.=D=

BTW, should we be spoiler tagging these vids for our US friends?[face_thinking] Nah![face_laugh]

8. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    It was the perfect ending. The final scene in the old flat still makes me a bit teary. When Del answers the phone and wants to take the deal, only for Rodney to remind him that they're not in the business anymore.

So few shows get the ending they deserve. OFAH got it, and then threw it away.

9. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    Somebody should have have said "No" to the comeback, but at the time there was a lot of public and media pressure on Sullivan and Jason and Lyndhurst to do more. It was a real shame shame cause like you said it got the perfect ending.

I think everyone knew when they were doing it that it was wrong, because everything from Sullivans scripts to Jason and Lyndhursts comic timing was off. Somehow it just stopped being funny, though I must admit I did have one or two chuckles at the "Gary" episode. ;)

Overall though, I try and forget the last three eps and think of OFAH 81-96.

10. Ostrich_Stapler

Ostrich_Stapler Jedi Master star 5

Jul 9, 2004
    I only watched a few episodes (the first half-dozen I think?) and wasn't particularly impressed--I think I laughed a few times but it was a far cry from my favorite comedies. People told me later that it got better further in and once you knew the characters better but I just never got around to sticking with it.

That said, I STILL think an American remake would suck.

11. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    It's extremely British, but it genuinely did take a long time to work it's way into our hearts. It was almost cancelled after the first series.

12. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    :confused:

13. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    Good point.

14. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    Yeah, it was definately a "slow burner" and got much, much funnier as it went on.

The first really funny episode was "A touch of glass" where Del, Rodders and Grandad attempted to go into the chandelier cleaning buisness. [face_laugh]

15. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Cheers was originally going to be an American remake of Fawlty Towers until they decided they liked using the bar more than the hotel.

Not to say something like that will necessarily happen with OFAH, but it's not impossible.

16. Ostrich_Stapler

Ostrich_Stapler Jedi Master star 5

Jul 9, 2004

See, I generally prefer British humor (humour? :p) to any American crap. Perhaps I just had higher expectations out of this particular show because of that.

And maybe that's exactly why an American remake should never happen--I feel like they would have to change the show so fundamentally to appeal to an American audience that they may as well just not bother. I think the Red Dwarf attempt should have nipped this in the bud for all producers ever. :p

17. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    It had such a great supporting cast, as well. All the characters were so well drawn.

haha! That was terrible!

18. duende

duende Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 28, 2006
    that's a bummer. i was hoping "idiots and donkeys" would be getting an american remake too.

19. imperial_dork

imperial_dork Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2003
  20. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Given that there is already a remake of Sherlock called Elementary (with Lucy Lieu as a female Watson), another remake of a UK show is unsuprising.

I don't really get it (maybe with comedy shows because the humour is different, but what is unwatchable about our Life on Mars or Sherlock that they have to be re-done?) but if it gets veiwers I guess it's viable. I certainly won't watch it.

It's bad enough the show here like so many went past its prime, and that's excluding the new re-launch of Red Dwarf which seems utterly pointless.
    I wish comedies would just quit while they are ahead and not linger on. Friends managed to maintain a high level of quality through all 10 seasons which is impressive, but a show like The Simpsons should have bowed out many years ago.

21. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    lucy liu watson is a great idea and i will watch the hell out of that

hell they should just make her holmes

22. Count_Drabbu

Count_Drabbu Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 30, 2007
    The final product was so far removed from that, though, that it doesn't really work as an example. On the other hand, you can just go back to the decade before with All in the Family, Sanford and Son, and Three's Company, all based on UK shows (Till Death Us Do Part, Steptoe and Son, and Man About the House).