main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

NSWRPF Archive Operation Overlord

Discussion in 'Non-Star Wars Role Playing Archive' started by Jango10, Sep 28, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthVercetti

DarthVercetti Jedi Master star 4

Oct 18, 2005
    LOL! Call of Duty!

You CAN steal a german's gun but you'd have to kill him in the RP and after the fight, go take it then...

2. Sabre_11

Sabre_11 Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 1, 2005
    OOC: Well, given we are currently on the 2nd day (?) of the invasion, I would assume that we would have captured or 'liberated' quite a number of German weapons for our own use. If you go to your nearest friendly CP you should find some laying around somewhere, if thats not an option, shoot yourself some Nazi scum and take the weapon from his cold, stiff fingers.

Come back Deiskrad!

3. DarthVercetti

Oct 18, 2005
    Any action gonna come? come on guys, lets get back into this.

COME BACK DEISKRAD

4. Deiskrad

Deiskrad Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 22, 2004
    Sorry I've been away. I moved recently, and well, just got lazy and irresponsible. That and I was without Internet access for a few weeks and only was able to post while stealing time at work.
    Everyone seems to move onto the Holland campaign. Except that since this history is following its own course, a campaign in Holland, at least in the historical way, is unlikely.
    Instead, I have scripted the second part of the normand campaign after doing a tremendous amount of research and have come up with what I think might have happened between "now" (June 7th '44) and say 6 weeks from then.
    I'll post tomorrow, but I want to know if people want to continue with Overlord from June 7th, or just leap ahead 6 weeks.
    Let me know either on ehre or in private.
    Again, apologies for my absence. There's no excuse, since I was happily posting away at the Doctor Who RPG.

5. Sabre_11

Jun 1, 2005
    My vote goes to jumping forward a bit. We've been stuck where we are for quite a while now and shooting forward sounds like a great idea at this point.

Suggestions people? Lets get this up and running again

6. DarthVercetti

Oct 18, 2005
    I agree with Sabre. My vote goes for skipping forwards.

Anyone else?

7. Deiskrad

Sep 22, 2004
    OOC: OK! I've been having a blast in the Doctor Who RPG. But now it's time to get down to Brass Tacks.

IC:

SitRep Europe: 16 July 1944

Despite the Germans early response, and coming within a hair of dislodging the entire british salient on June 7th, the early arrival of the 7th Armored division, rushed from England upon learning through ULTRA that the OB west had determined that there was no planned allied assault on Calais; the Desert Rats just BARELY managed to halt the SS panzers of the 12th SS Panzer Division that fateful day. The Allied Air Force made any furhter movement impossible during the day. and so with bitter losses, the Hitlerjugend of the 12th SS panzer retreated that night almost back to their original satarting lines. having recaptured for a couple of hours the elation that the Wehrmacht had not known for almost four years now.
    The British suffered heavy casualties, and were very cautions about following on with a counterattack. They were also terribly concerned about their flanks from then on, and proceeded very slowly for the rest of the campaign.
    In the west, the Americans fared slightly better. The bloodshed on Omaha rivaled that of the first day. But at the end of the 7th, Vierville was in American hands, and Kampfgruppe Wulf was exhausted and depleted. But with the Americans controlling the town, there was a salient that stuck into the German lines, and the 352nd Infantry division decided to pull its lines back rather than give the Americans a convenient jumping off point for the next attack.
    Kampfgruppe Wulf, and Wulf's particualr Fallschirmjaeger regiment was declared Abgekampft (no longer fit for duty due to losses) and sent t the rear to recover and take on replacements. Wulf Gierhardt was awarded the Oakleaves to his Knights Cross for the two days of fighting.
    From the American perspcetive, they were aghast at the bloodshed on Omaha, and more concerned about it being strategically viable. There was talk of evacuating Omaha and putting the troops ashore instead at Utah whcih was Stable or one of the more western British Beaches.
    Utah beach experienced heavy fighting in the hedgerows, and was mostly fighting to the east and west to try to captured Cherbourg and to link up with Omaha.
    However, word of Bradley considering evacuating Omaha eventually reached Stalin through his espionage network. He misinterpreted the information, and determined that the Allies had no stomach for bloodshed and were planning to retreat back to England. He was furious and horrified by this possibility, and it took a good deal of diplomatic wrangling to get him calmed down.
    Paranoid as usual, however, Stalin did delay the planned Soviet offensive in the east until the 30th of June. "Operation Bagration" would be delayed a critical ten days. This delay resulted in Additional German preparation, which made the Soviet Offensive only about half as effective as it was in actual history.
    In the west, despite the braery of German troops on the ground, their deficiency in Aircraft and artillery was showing. Though very slowly and bloodily, the allies were pushign through the hedgerows. It was obvbious to everyone except Hitler that if the Wehrmacht did not retreat from Normandy to a more defensible position, a disaster was in the making.
    In a fit of pique, Hitler relieved Field Marshal Rommel, and placed Eastern Front veteran and operational genius Field marshal Erich Von Manstein in charge of Army Group B on 20th June. After touring the front and studying the mapp and reading intelligence and the Germans own resupply schedule, Manstein determined that the best course of action was to shorten the line by retrating behind the Seine and Saome Rivers to prepared positions. This, he stated, "...Would shorten our own supply lines and lengthen the enemies own. This will bring relative parity to the Enemy's overwhelming superiority in quantity of supplies. A position along these rivers would also frustrate the enemy's attempts to use their mobility to outflank or envelop us."
    Though it was a sound proposal, Hitler

8. Sabre_11

Jun 1, 2005
    OOC: Talk about coming back with a bang.. Thats bloody brilliant! Now we just need to get everyone back here so we can begin...

9. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo

CmdrMitthrawnuruodo Force Ghost star 6

Jul 1, 2000
    Well, since Rommel was relieved of command before he got shot up and the July Plot happened... I'm guessing he's sitting at home worrying about his future and the future of Germany.

Sorry I hadn't posted. :(

10. Deiskrad

Sep 22, 2004
    OOC:
    I'll post casualties from the Normandy Campaign shortly. I'm also trying to draw up a reasonable map depicting the current front and where various units are.

11. DarthVercetti

Oct 18, 2005
    Noice Post there Deiskrad, good stuff. When are we gonna get back into this?

12. Deiskrad

Sep 22, 2004
    OOC: Immediately. Just do establishing posts that remind the readers who you are and why you're there. Might want to throw in anecdotes on what's happened since June 7th. Maybe you've been woundded and you're just re-joining the line. Maybe if you're in the 82nd or 101st, you've been pulled out of the line to refit and take on replacements. The possibilities are good.
    As to when I do another post regarding battle and such, well, since nobody is playing SACEUR (Supreme Allied Commander Europe. ie.e. Eisenhower), I've got to try to decide where the Allies are likely to make their next offensive, since we are now totally in the realm of theory and supposition.

13. DarthVercetti

Oct 18, 2005
    OOC: Excellent. I'll get one up sometime soon hopefully.

14. Odd_Ball13

Odd_Ball13 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 11, 2005
    sorry i hvent posted lately guys ive been studying for semester exams and i nvr got a chance t come back. am i still in the game?

15. Deiskrad

Sep 22, 2004
    OOC:
    Sure.

16. DarthVercetti

Oct 18, 2005
    IC: Cpl. Jeremy Morton

Cold, Sad and Lonely. They were the three main feelings Jeremy had felt since the starting of the war. With every passing day, the death of Sgt. Baker and all the men he had killed bared down on him more and more. His leg wound had healed and he hadn't had any more toubles. A few flesh wounds here and there but nothing serious.

Jeremy had seen many battles since his first in the outskirts of St. Aubin-Arquenay. But still he had not been killed and he was still not over the death of his former Sergeant. Jeremy had written a letter to his family every chance he got so that incase he was KIA his family would know he was always thinking of them and that he missed them alot. These letters were still sitting in his pack for the fatefull day that he would die or would be finally sent home. It was the 16th of July 1944 and he was sitting in his foxhole, writing another letter to his family when he realised that he wasn't going to be sent home. The only way he was going back was in a body bag, or as a war veteran. So there he sat in the cold of the night, Cold, Sad and Lonely.

TAG: Brits.

17. Morkai

Morkai Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 29, 2005
    OOC: Good to be back

IC: Hauptmann Gierhardt Wulf CO 2nd Kommpanie 6th Fallschirmjaeger RGT

The cigarette tip flashed briefly as the scarred young captain took in a deep drag, he watched without expression as the men of his kommpanie set up their new kommpanie HQ. Rain drizzled down on the scene as the paratroopers moved ammo and equipment in and around the small farm Gierhardt had been given. He idly ran a finger down the jagged scar that ran the length of the right side of his face, a potent reminder of what he had become since the start of this useless war. Everywhere he looked he saw new faces, instead of old friends and comrades there were boys barely able to shave. He knew they were well trained and worthy of the title Fallschirmjaeger, but their inexperience set his teeth on edge.

Of his original Kommpanie the only remaining veterans were his officers and NCO's, His boys...his family bled dry from Russia to Italy then Normandy and now here. He was a stranger in his own Kommpanie, Gierhardt barely resembled the young soldier who had left a wife and daughter at home all those years ago. His once tanned smooth face was grey tinged and lined with fatigue and stress, his dark brown hair now showed patches of grey and his eyes the same eye's his beloved Aida had fallen in love with were dull and cold after five years of war and horror. He was an old man, worn out and tired, and yet to see his 26th birthday.

After his unit had been brought up to strength again they had been sent here to await deployment to the front, with many of his men yet to see combat and those that had had seen far too much. He levered himself to his feet with his MP44 and grabbed a passing soldier, the startled man looked up at him. If he was older than 16 Gierhardt would kiss the pig Hitler's white arse "You boy get the officers into the barn for a briefing" he let go and the boy stood rooted to the spot "NOW" his finished,sending the young man scrambling out of the rusted gates of the compound. Gierhardt wove his way through the bustling, efficient chaos of the yard and into the main house Im getting to old for this he thought as he looked out on a world he could no longer stand.

TAG: GM

18. Odd_Ball13

Jun 11, 2005
    OCC: where exacly am i? have i been sitting in the smae spot since june 7th or am I at some town like st mere eglies or somthing.

19. Deiskrad

Sep 22, 2004
    OOC: Oddball, see my post above.

From the foxhole to the family room, Merry Christmas to all who observe.

20. Odd_Ball13

Jun 11, 2005
  21. Odd_Ball13

Jun 11, 2005
    IC: PFC Miller

Miller standing guard at garrison duty in a Allied base in the U.K waiting for a new mission for the 101st witch retured the RAF North Witham a RAF base from where the 82nd and 101st launched to normandy also are returing to await another mission, and was also checking his wound which heal dramaticly during the course of 6 weeks, he mangaged to hide the wound from the medic fearing he would have to leave his squadmates witch eventually evolved into them becoming brothers. Miller sleeps at night with nightmares of fighting in hedgerows and Cherbourg...

The thoughts of that battle was truamatizing, he could still see his buddies being riddled with mg42s, brothers in arms blown to bit stepping on minefeilds or being at the wrong spot when friendly mortars hit or when the tanks rolled by and decimated buildings, whole blocks of the city being leveled, Miller was starting to fall asleep, his eyes were growing heavy and he couldig resist anymore longer. Miller was asleep at his post with the war going on in his dreams.

TAG: anyone

OCC: sorry if my post is historicly inaccurate about the 101st being in Cherbourg but can I say my guy was in a platoon supporting the 9th Infantry division?

22. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo

CmdrMitthrawnuruodo Force Ghost star 6

Jul 1, 2000
    GeneralFeldmarschall Erwin Rommel

Ulm, Germany - 22nd July, 1944

He was uncomfortable in his long grey summer coat and brown suit with a white shirt and neck tie but it was something he would have to learn to indure until he received a new command. It was something he had been induring since his relief in June by GeneralFeldmarschall von Manstein. He wondered now who was commanding the eastern front. Certain Keitel or Jodhl were but it was Manstein and Moedel who kept the Russians from advancing any farther than they already have. He was certain his command in the west was now over and hoped that perhaps he'll be given a command in the east.

Assuming, of course, they did not betray him to the Schutzstaffel. Although he had been relatively new to the group of officers conspiring to relieve the Nazi High Command of control of the fatherland before he had been relieved of command, he did know enough about the conspiracy to be convicted of "guilty knowledge" and he had said they could use his name to recruit other officers to their cause. If one of them mentioned his name when the SS investigators asked for a list, he knew the SS would not care who he was so long as they could please Hitler in finding every single traitor involved in the plot.

He should have gotten out of it as soon as he had been relieved. But he still stayed in contact with Spiedel and the others. He had discussed and argued against the plot and tried to provide alternatives in removing Hitler and his nazis, but most of them required him to be in command of Armeegruppe B for them to work. He would have tried to recruit Manstein, at least for the military part of the plots, but he was not certain of Manstein's greivances or loyalties regarding Hitler.

And perhaps it was best that he had not tried. Manstein seemed to be stablizing the front well and forcing the Allies to stretch themselves thin in order to keep up with the retreating German Army. He had been out of the loop of what was going on, what little information his former subordinates could give him was enough to give him an idea, that it was no longer worth worrying about anymore. He had bigger things to concern himself with until he either found himself hanged or with a new command.

Field Marshal Rommel gave a side-glance at his wife walking along side of him and worried how he was going to protect her and their son when the gestapo finally came for him. He had considered sending them away to trusted friends until he could successfully weather through the coming storm. That way if the gestapo came for him, they could not take his family at the same time and it would force them to try and find out where they had gone. But he also knew that if he sent them away now, especially if they were watching him at this moment, it would appear he was guilty of what they suspected.

"Something troubles you, dear?" He heard Lucie ask him after she pulled away from looking at some feminine clothing in a store window. She had shown an interest in a pale green summer dress with red and yellow poppy flowers on it. Staring at it behind her reminded him of the war. Odd how such a peaceful object could bring his mind rearing back toward the front-lines. Perhaps it was because of the red on the green and how many of the enemy dead he had seen that dress resembled. "Erwin?"

Rommel lightly shook his head and focused his gaze on his wife. "I'm fine, love." He lied and immediately knew she saw through it.

"You do not look like a man who is fine, I know you better than that Erwin Rommel. Now tell me what troubles you?" She demanded in that tone he could not risk disobeying. The war hero let his shoulders sag slightly and steered her away from the shoppe and anyone that may be within earshot.

"The usual troubles me and more," he answered softly as they walked. They soon found themselves walking toward band music somewhere in the nearby park and before he chose to tell her what was really on his mind, he made sure to be close enough to the ban

23. Deiskrad

Sep 22, 2004
    Outside Evreux, France 22nd July 1944
    With Corporal Jeremy Morton

The rain fell without let up. It had been doing so for several hours. Morton was in his foxhole wishing that he were in bed with a warm woman rather than out here with only cold worms for company.
    The day before, his Foxhole-mate had been killed by a mortar barrage. So he was alone with his thoughts, and is so often the case, that proves to be very bad company indeed.
    They had driven after the retreating Germans after they?d learned that they were falling back, but were held up by a combnation of things: The weather, the unexpected resurgence of the Luftwaffe and kriegsmarine, and the cautious nature of the commanding General. When they had gototen moving the day before, they?d ran smack into prepared German positions with artillery on the other side of the Seine. They could not dislodge them, so they dug in.
    There had been high hopes to get a fast breakthrough once the 7th armored came up. But again, the weather, lack of operational support from the RAF (The allied air forces had suffered from the surprise Luftwaffe attack as well, although the Germans must?ve taken the worst of it, since he had not seen a single German plane, not even reconnaissance, for three days) and stiff enemy resistance had halted them.
    It was depressing.
    Still, he must soldier on. Stiff upper-lip and all that.
    The welsh Giant, Finlay, a Corporal himself now, crawled up to Morton?s foxhole and rapped on his helmet.
    ?Just lettin? ye know, Come the dark we?re gonna make another push. Try to push the buggers right into the Seine. Make sure ye and ye men be ready.?
    He took out a canteen and poured Morton?s rum ration into Morton?s mess kit.
    ?See ye then.? He said, and crawled off.

TAG: Morton

Mons, Belgium 22nd July 1944
    With Hauptmann Gierhardt Wulf and his reconstituted company of Fallschirmjaeger

He watched the young soldiers return. They were laughing and talking happily and there was a good deal of swagger in their step.
    Wulf had written almost 20 passes for his boys. They were but boys. Even though he was forbidden from giving out any leave since they could be deployed at any moment, he could not bear to take children into battle without them first becoming men.
    So, against orders, he had issued 24 hour passes, and sent them to Mons, Some to Charleroi, and some as far as Antwerp or Brussels. Now the men were coming back.
    Yes indeed, now they were men. No doubt their Reichsmarks were spent.
    Wulf had a problem with sending virgins out to die. Perhaps it was because he, unlike OKW, had a problem with playing the games of men with boys. No matter. He could send them to their deaths with slightly less guilt now.
    As they past, they waved to the ?Old man?. Since they still technically had 20 minutes left on their pass, Gierhardt let the informality and breach of discipline go.
    As he pondered this, missing Aida, a Kubelwagen pulled up in the assembly area, and he saw his superior, Major Von Loewmann, a stern but fair Prussian who had been his CO for a few weeks after the last was wounded and sent home.
    Gierhardt stiffened to attention out of habit and saluted.
    ?Marching Orders.? Said Loewmann after returning the salute. ?7th Army believs us fully reconstituted and have ordered us back to the line. You?ll find all you need to know here.?
    Gierhardt skimmed the map. Pontoise. A Suburb just north of Paris.
    ?At least it will be a good neighborhood. Carry on, Hauptmann.?

TAG: Morkai

OOC: Cmdrmtthrawnuruodo, Just go ahead and run with that angle a bit. I?m going to give you latitude with that since I didn?t give you enough last time. But Rommel should be getting some marching orders in a week or so (real time)

24. Sabre_11

Jun 1, 2005
    OOC: I'll assume I'm in the same area as DV is...

IC: Sgt. Hanley, Outside Evreux, France 22nd July 1944

I dont know if I can put up with this much longer Thought Sgt. Hanley as he sat in his muddy foxhole, a constant downpour of rain hammering onto his helmet. It has been like this for hours now, but Jake had lost track of time as of late.

Just two days ago he suffered a bad bout of shellshock. The commanding officer thought it would be a swell idea to charge across an open field toward a German occupied farmhouse. Little did he know the Krauts had mortars hidden behind it. A shell came down mere metres away from Jake as he led the charge, sending him flying. Since then the ringing in his right ear has been constant and light-headedness comes and goes.

Hearing light chatter behind him over the splashing of rain, Jake turned around to see what the fuss was about.

TAG: Morton, Deiskrad

25. DarthVercetti

Oct 18, 2005
    IC: Cpl. Jeremy Morton

Jeremy quickly drank half his rum ration and thanked Finlay with an acknlowledged nod. Jeremy's life had quickly become depressing. It was as constant as the rainfall. All that was keeping him sane was his friends here in these holes with him. The loss of His foxhole partner was hard for Jeremy, they had become good friends and most of all he lost the only person he had to talk to.

When Finlay was done Talking Sgt. Hanley came over to what the fuss was about.
    "Hiya Sergeant, What can i help you with?"

TAG: Sabre, Deiskrad

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.