main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate Opinion of the following organizations

Discussion in 'Community' started by darklordoftech, Feb 22, 2018.

1. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Their stated position is actually a lot more nuanced than that.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
  2. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    What's your opinion on hunting whales in video games.

3. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    I am not saying I support everything PETA does especially the headline-grabbing tactics. I do think they should be fairly assessed.

4. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    My fair assessmemt is that they are mainly focused on stupid tactics that do more to cause backlash against their cause.

Also, they absolutely have stolen people's pets and euthanized them. Off their porches.

Juliet316 and Lord Vivec like this.
  5. ZanderSolo

ZanderSolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 18, 2007
    I am firmly in the position that waffles are better than pancakes due to their “modular syrup holding “ squares.

Ans as someone who used to work at a humane society for a while: if everyone in PETA were to be put down instead, all the animals would be better for it. Their kill rate is insane compared to pretty much every other organization i came in contact with during my time at the humane society. Fun fact: i was working at a shelter that got some of michael vicks fighting dogs. No one was allowed near them because they were evidence, an outside vet took care of them. We had to erm...clear an entire building because of them. Yes its what you think, and it pushed me to quit.

This is kind of just a giant i hate PETA rant since it came up ( which sounds counterproductive because i love animals... waaayyyy more than people. But i promise its not).

So yeah.. waffles it is.

**** PETA

6. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    A mischaracterization of just two incidents-- one of which did not result in euthanasia.

7. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    solojones and Juliet316 like this.
  8. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    I believe they also say animals shouldn't be in movies. I get the abuse that happens in some cases and it's repugnant. But I've seen some movies with astonishing animal "performances."

9. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    I guess I'm not being clear. I am not defending everything about PETA. I would never donate to them or volunteer for them. They're terrible at PR and think chasing headlines is all they need to do. I am pushing back against specific, common claims against them that are driven by grandma's-e-mail-forward-esque misconceptions and lies.

Animal mistreatment is rampant on Hollywood sets that have them and the ubiquitous "no animals were harmed" disclaimer is a worthless rubber stamp given by an industry-controlled organization. The Hollywood Reporter published an investigative piece on it a few years ago. That's not to say that I am personally opposed to all use of animals in film per se, but being against it is understandable.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
    tom likes this.
  10. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    In my experience, animals on set get treated far better than low level humans on set. They get their own trailers and the minders they have are extremely cautious about what you can do with them, including with animals like cockroaches. Meanwhile I was forced to work 7 days a week for 5 days a week of terrible pay.

So basically, I feel those reports are absolutely the outliers in the business. Usually if you have animals, they are guarded and cared for to a frankly kinda nuts degree.