main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Order 66 series

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by RATHERBEPLAYINDS, Jul 31, 2015.

1. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015

I'd especially be interested to see what Rex was up to between TCW's end and Season 2 of Rebels. I like Rex in Deserter, the Krell arc, and the Order 66 arc. In my estimation, he's one of the best original characters TCW produced besides Cad Bane. Speaking of which, it would be interesting to have a comic or something exploring the rise of Boba Fett as he usurps Bane's place as the best bounty hunter in the galaxy.

Trebor Sabreon likes this.
  2. moonjump05

moonjump05 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 14, 2013

Hopefully Rex's story will be told, I really want that TCW RotS tie in arc eventually. In the meantime, season 2 of Rebels is sure to drop some hints Filoni has said so. But I doubt they will be too specific to prevent writing themselves into a corner.

Trebor Sabreon likes this.
  3. Hyrum_Solo

Hyrum_Solo Jedi Knight star 3

Jul 1, 2015
    It would've been interesting to see Rex continue to be Vader's second-in-command after order 66. But as of seeing he is a deserter this is highly unlikely.

4. moonjump05

Dec 14, 2013

But it wouldn't make any sense for his story arc and character development. Imperial!Cody on the other hand though...

5. Hyrum_Solo

Jul 1, 2015
    My point exactly.

6. redlightning

redlightning Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 1, 2014
    I want to see some of the Jedi who survived the great purge become Dark Jedi who serve their own agendas. Perhaps an entire star system ruled by a Dark Jedi outside of the power of the Empire. They may also gather together forces to rebel against the Empire as well.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  7. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I also wanted Rex to be loyal enough to Anakin to join the 501st; even as someone who was a fan of his for awhile, the idea that "he's just too good a person to do what clones were designed to do" was annoying.

redlightning , I'm going to add to that comment in the Ahsoka thread.

8. moonjump05

Dec 14, 2013

'Too good' has nothing to do with it. All throughout TCW Rex has a character arc of deciding what is right/increasing personal responsibility and agency/choice in what orders to follow. Him joining a fallen Anakin Skywalker just disregards that.

The Shadow Emperor likes this.
  9. Hyrum_Solo

Jul 1, 2015
    tb
    edit: for those of you that don't know what tb means, it means turn n' burn. [face_liarliar]

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  10. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Yeah, herein lies the problem. His character arc as described that way, flies in the face of being "genetically modified to obey any order."

Hyrum_Solo likes this.
  11. moonjump05

Dec 14, 2013

So? The setup is there. Does every character have to only fit into the mold first described for them? Because that would be a lot of very flat characters.

Since Rex is really the only clone with this type of arc, I don't see the problem.

Watto and The Shadow Emperor like this.
  12. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Yes, when we're talking about clones, every character needs to fit into that mold. That was kind of the point of cloning.

13. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    Rex would choose what is morally correct as he is one of the most morally aware of the Clones on the show as he was featured in several arcs and many episodes where he makes the right choices, the human choices sometimes despite his duty like with Cut for example he left him alone after and he was a deserter which is punishable offense and to Clone discipline and culture an insult. But his absence during ROTS surely needs a good explanation as he would've had to have removed the chip after the Bad Batch arc not before to explain why he did not joined the battle at the Jedi Temple but likely witnessed or was even arrested because he removed the chip. Wolff Filoni is partial to because its his character and Plo Koon related character, probably closest he can get to bringing back Plo. Gregor is a bit of an odd choice but I guess because of his heroic feat and he may of been damaged goods with the amnesia beforehand. It is possible there is other Clones around they could gather but also simply they're the last of the breed. But hate to think Echo's rescue was all for nothing if he's another Order 66 bot.

14. redlightning

redlightning Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 1, 2014
    I'm still curious of the sequence of events Palpatine claimed took place to the senate that caused him to even execute this order. One would think not all of the Jedi generals were in league with a conspiracy, especially their padawans.

For a sequence of events I imagine Palpatine claimed that first Mace Windu and a few other Jedi masters tried to assassinate him and get control of information needed to control the clone army. Palpatine was able to make an emergency call to the 501st legion to assist him and eliminate the treasonous Jedi. He orders the Jedi temple locked down and all of the generals arrested or detained until an investigation can be ascertained. None of the Jedi generals comply with orders to stand down, fight back, and are killed by clone troopers innocently defending themselves. The clones occupy the temple, they are attacked by the Jedi, and an enormous battle breaks out there and starts a fire which gets out of control and kills many of the Jedi. All surviving Jedi order is outlawed and replaced with the new Imperial order of inquisitors.

The Jedi created an elaborate conspiracy to gain control of the clone army and to use it to hold the senate ransom to form its own Force led oligarchy or junta. They felt this was needed to win the Clone Wars.

DarthTalonx likes this.
  15. TheOneX_Eleazar

TheOneX_Eleazar Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 24, 2013
    But unlike robots they are also capable of creative thoughts. If they are capable of creative thoughts they are capable of becoming their own person, and overcoming the programming. It would be unlikely, but certainly possible. Considering how many clones were created there would certainly be a few who overcame their programming.

I don't see a problem with the "biochips". I think the problem here is more presentation of the idea by calling them a chip, as if it is unnatural or implanted. Maybe if they presented the "biochip" as just a unique section of the brain that was genetically engineered into the clones in order to control their behavior (i.e. obey any order) it wouldn't be as big of an issue. I do not see how this shifts the tragedy from the Jedi to the clones. I already saw the clones as a tragedy as they are living beings designed to die, and obey any order. Whether or not it is genetic code or C++ that controls that is irrelevant. Either way they don't have free will to make that choice for themselves.

16. Darth Wookiee

Darth Wookiee Jedi Master star 3

Nov 29, 2013
  17. Hyrum_Solo

Jul 1, 2015
    Capable of creative thought to obey the order. When the clones were created it was hardwired into who they are to obey orders. Hardwiring is impossible to overcoming by creative thought. The chips are not the clones genes. Clone Captains were already given enough wiggle room without the chips because they were less genetically modified. The clones "programing" came from flash training, not from a biochip. (you'd also think a race capable of cloning and manipulation of genes would be able to make a biochip the size of fly compared to what was portrayed)

18. The Shadow Emperor

The Shadow Emperor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 29, 2012
    They may have been "programmed" a certain way, yes. But no programming is perfect, otherwise we wouldn't have had clones like Slick or Cut. In the EU there were aberrant clones up the wazoo. It's not exactly a new concept. (And if the Kaminoans are so perfect, then why did we have physically deformed specimens like 99 or the Bad Batch? And you'd think ensuring mental genetic uniformity would be considerably more tricky than avoiding physical mutations.)

And frankly, I wouldn't give two ****s about these protagonists if they were portrayed solely as the mindless automatons some of you continue to see them as. Why should I, an audience member, care about a bunch of faceless mooks that do everything they're told without question, when that would essentially put them on the level as battle droids?

moonjump05 likes this.
  19. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Which is why the clones should have been side characters and not main protagonists in the first place.

I didn't see the clones as battle droids in the PT. There was Cody, there were those clones that told Bail to get lost, and then there was that clone that helped Padme up and asked if she was alright. I can't see a battle droid doing that.

But there is a line between giving them personality and making them protagonists that the audience is supposed to care about, and with the already existing movies, the latter becomes a problem.

Davak24 likes this.
  20. moonjump05

Dec 14, 2013
    The clones are background in the movies, like any number of Jedi who are not Yoda, Mace, Obi-wan or Anakin. TCW fleshed out clones and Jedi alike.

But I guess that goes against the movies? **** I guess Obi-wan and Anakin's relationship as shown in TCW goes against the movies as well, since we didn't see it in the movies at all. Or Padme campaigning in the senate, only in TCW since the scenes from the movies were cut.

Plenty of characters, and places and events, were fleshed out in TCW without it going against the movies.

21. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Yes, they were, and that's a good thing. But the clones' so-called "fleshing out" did go against the movies, as the writers apparently felt the need to insert the chip-retcon in.

If fleshing out Mace in any of the episodes in which he was the main character, or Kit Fisto, involved inserting a plot point that contradicts what we saw in the movies and changes our movie perception of them entirely (instead of, you know, fleshing out that perception), I would have a problem with that as well.

There was a way to humanize the clones without removing all responsibility for what happened in ROTS and making them the "real victims." But that would involve emotional upheaval for clone fans. That's why it wasn't done--not because the chip plot line was planned in advance or fit in well with what we saw in the movies.

22. moonjump05

Dec 14, 2013
    You can't retcon something that didn't exist in the first place. The chips don't contradict the movies at all, the movies makes the clones follow orders and the chip makes the clones follow orders.

Where does the order 66 sequence make the clones the real victims? Is there a new special edition that cuts the sad Jedi deaths and replaces them with sad clones? It doesn't happen, the genocide of the Jedi is a tragedy. Nothing about the chips changed that, only added more victims.

As a clone fan myself, I fully expect all the clones to carry out their orders(the only one who gets a pass is Rex because he specifically had a character arc that otherwise would be wasted) all the others should have carried out order 66, so I am unsure what emotional upheaval you refer to.

23. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    As I said...the chip takes ALL responsibility off the clones. It's the difference between their brains being fully functional when they carried out the order, and not being functional at all due to the chip. The betrayal impact, a big aspect of the tragedy of the Order 66 scene, is still in place in clones with fully functioning brains. With the chip, there is no real betrayal because they could "wake up" from the chip and go "What was I thinking???"

If Anakin Skywalker had a chip in his brain that tripped just before he drew his lightsaber on the kids in the Council chamber, would that change the scene? I'd say it would, because it would change Anakin's role in it to "poor Anakin he's going to hate this when the chip wears off."

I did not see the clones in ROTS as evil, they were engineered for the Republic to follow orders and they could not help that, but I prefer the real tragedy with them to be that they were incapable of forming anything more than a cursory friendship with the Jedi, because they would betray them later. No betrayal, that tragedy does not exist.

Hyrum_Solo and Davak24 like this.
  24. The Shadow Emperor

The Shadow Emperor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 29, 2012
    I was under the impression that the chips merely prevented them from disobeying the order, not completely switching off their brains as they carried it out. For all we know the vast majority of clones were fully willing to do Palpatine's bidding and only a select few needed the extra prodding from their chips.

25. moonjump05

Dec 14, 2013
    The chip makes the consent of the clones iffy, but so does designing them and training them all their short lives to follow orders. Can the clones in either situation truly be totally responsible for their actions?

A betrayal is only effective if the clones do form genuine relationships with the Jedi and chose to kill them. A cursory relationship can't be betrayed.

The Shadow Emperor likes this.