main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Original character story fan club

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by JediGaladriel, Oct 9, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jane Jinn

Jane Jinn Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 12, 2000
    I hope this thread isn't dying just yet! :)

I just read The Haunting of Theed Palace. Very nice! Ocko was very likeable. Despite his being Gungan, I found that he was also human somehow, or human enough for me to identify with him, with his little crush on Queen Jamillia, for instance, or especially the way he was certain that Captain Panaka only ever looked upon him with severe disapproval. He does sound like a typically easy-going Gungan when he philosophically decides that there is no reason for anyone to believe that he was tripped instead of falling over his own feet, though, and then later, he sounds typically human when he is miserable, knowing that Volm has played a malicious trick on him and yet being unable to do anything about it because he had no proof. And I liked the subtle way in which LadyElaine reminded us on occasion that he was Gungan; with him wanting to spend an entire class period boasting about General Jar Jar and Captain Tarpals, or comparing Queen Jamillia to the soft, magical glow of Otoh Gunga's undersea bubbles.

I found that Volm was also a memorable character, and very well portrayed. He wasn't likeable, of course, but he was still an important catalyst in the story, with the way he not only told the tale of the haunting Sith, but dressed up like him as well, solely in order to scare Ocko. I don't know if I would classify him as a villain or not, but he certainly shows some of the more negative human traits, callousness and cruelty, and was a complete contrast to Queen Jamillia.

I found both of these original characters interesting and believable. LadyElaine did a great job!

Darth Silenous asked: "Question: Is this strictly an appreciation thread, or might it also have a sort of workshop-like supplement (eg. short OC posts are featured each week, and weaknesses / strengths / possible improvements are assessed)? I'm finding the reading interesting, but I think it would be fun to also discuss common genre errors, etc."

I'd like to see a touch of workshop here, especially in connection with what Mistress Renata said: "I'd love to see not just stories with canon characters in truly minor roles, but possibly not appearing at all. That would be my challenge. Can you write an interesting original character, set it in a real Star Wars adventure-type story (no romances with canon characters! ) and hold the reader?"

I'd say you can, but like anything else, it takes practice, and I wouldn't mind helping other people, and being helped myself, here on this thread.

2. ViariSkywalker

ViariSkywalker Kessel Run Hostess Extraordinaire star 4 VIP - Game Host

Aug 9, 2002
    Since this concerns all things OC, could we also partially use this thread to ask for and find beta readers specializing in OC fics?

3. JediGaladriel

JediGaladriel Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 3, 1999
    Sure, why not? I think it would be good to have lots of topics, so that if we seem to be slipping down the list, we can bounce back up without an annoying "Up" post.

4. LadyMairead

LadyMairead Jedi Padawan star 4

May 20, 2002
    I have a question, and athough I'm not really sure this is the place for it, it seemed like my best bet.

I think that authors tend to enjoy writing OC's more than people enjoy reading them, because it's fun to mold a character exactly the way you want him/her. However, people have a lot invested in the canon (by canon, I mean any character ever in a SW novel or movie) SW characters, so it's not quite as fun to read OC fics. I'm considering the addition of several OC's in my fic, and one of them would be replacing the "established" love interests of one of the canon SW characters. Does anyone have any suggestions for writing OC's so that readers enjoy them and they don't lose interest in the fic? And what do you think about the merits of using OC's versus writing with the canon characters? Thanks much!

5. The_Standmaiden

The_Standmaiden Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 28, 2002
    I beta'd this fic a while ago called "Aethersprite" that was a perfect example of OCs. I wish I could find it now. :(

All the main characters were OCs, and they were living in the post ROTJ timeline. They were just regular people who were living in the universe shaped by the canon characters.

Aside from a very brief scene, they never even spoke to the canon characters, but the reader was aware of their presence!

My advice: don't make an OC replace the role of a canon character. For some reason, that makes readers hate you. Try not to make an OC love interest for a canon character, either, because they tend to be Mary Sues.

Whoo! Lengthy post!

6. LadyMairead

May 20, 2002
    Actually, I've mapped this character out pretty thoroughly, so she's not a Mary Sue, I'm sure of that, but I do know what you mean about readers hating you... I'm not sure what I'm going to do yet.

7. The_Standmaiden

Jul 28, 2002
    Which character is it? People seem to be more accepting of an OC love interest for the younger characters.

8. LadyMairead

May 20, 2002
    Can I PM you? I don't want to tell anyone who's reading my fic. I have some interesting ideas... [face_devil]

9. The_Standmaiden

Jul 28, 2002
    Sure . . . the [face_devil] makes me really interested . . .

10. UrbanJedi

UrbanJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 14, 1999
    Lady Mairead-I have come across exactly that dilema. I recently wrote a story called From the Ashes in which Tahiri becomes involved with an OC. The link for the fic is in my bio.(<---SHAMELESS SELF PLUG!) Surprisingly enough, I've received some praise from die-hard Anakin/Tahiri fans who think they should only be together and with no one else.

I wrote this fic because after a lengthy conversation with some very established authors on these boards (Do you remember that coversation JediGaladriel?), I realized that people who read fics here are alot less likely to read a new author's fic...especially if it is a completely OC fic. Anyways, it was suggested that I write a fic using "canon" characters to establish a reading base.

Not wanting to "sell-out" and write yet another Jag/Jaina or Anakin/Tahiri fic I wrote a fic using almost all established characters, but followed the current canon storyline. That meant that Anakin Solo was dead and someone had to take his place. That is where my OC came to play.

I don't want to say anything more in hopes that some folks here might actually read the story and enjoy it.

After all of that rambling, I will make my point. I think introducing OC's to be the love interest of canon characters injects new life into some stories which could be, otherwise, boring. You just have to be very careful that you are dead on in your portrayal of the canon characters. If you write them as good as you do your OC, I think the readers will have a lot easier time swallowing the new character.

11. LadyMairead

May 20, 2002
    Thanks, UJ. I'm still conflicted about whether or not I'm going to add this OC. I don't want to lose readers because I did a poor job constructing a character. It's just so much fun to make up your own characters, but then I know that personally I usually don't like other people's OC fics.

12. UrbanJedi

Dec 14, 1999
    I'm very curious what this story is. Can you PM me a link? I'd really like to read it. My morbid curiosity is running wild!

13. LadyMairead

May 20, 2002
    Sure! I love getting new readers. :) The link's in my sig. But the OC action isn't happening for a while yet. That doesn't mean you shouldn't go read, though. ;) Off you go!

14. UrbanJedi

Dec 14, 1999
    As soon as I made that last post I realized that there was fic link there. I figured that was probably the one you were referring to. If you get the chance, the link for mine is in my bio. I could always use new readers as well.

15. LadyMairead

May 20, 2002
    I'm reading "From the Ashes" right now. :D

16. ViariSkywalker

Aug 9, 2002
    Thanks for answering JG. Now then...would there be any betas out there who love to beta OC stories? Mine is an Imperial intertrilogy fic, and it's called "Kineris." The link is in my signature, if anyone is interested. Please PM me or whatever, I'd appreciate it a lot.

As for new authors starting out with OC, I agree that it's tough. I have one canon character story archived on TF.N, but I never posted it on the boards. My OC fic is my first story on the boards, and I have only a few loyal readers. It seems like the established authors, or people who write about canon characters, get more readers. Would it be better to post my canon fic on the boards to get an established reader base, or should I just go with my OC, finish it, and then see where it all goes?

Any thoughts?

17. UrbanJedi

Dec 14, 1999
    I guess I can't get away from writing OC. I tried to sit down and just write a fic with canon characters and couldn't do it. Somehow, someway OC's kept popping up all by themselves. Now I've doomed myself to shameless self promotion like my post above.

18. ViariSkywalker

Aug 9, 2002
    Yes it does seem hard to pull oneself away from shameless self promotion, doesn't it? I find myself wanting to promote my fic, just to get more readers...or at least someone to help me with it. *sigh* We are doomed to shamelessly plug forever...

19. Daughter_of_Yubyub

Daughter_of_Yubyub Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 8, 2002
    The two fics I have going right now are both canon. I have another one after that which is about characters that are OC to one degree or another. First is Galax, the baby Ewok in RotJ. Since I even gave him the name, is he OC? Anyway, he becomes a Jedi. Second is Kettch, who isn't really all that original, but I couldn't resist. He is, of course, an Ewok pilot. Then there's Meesu. I haven't figured out much about her yet, all I know is that she's Kettch's girlfriend.

Am I crazy for not only doing an OC fic, but one which is entirely about Ewoks?

20. UrbanJedi

Dec 14, 1999
    You are not crazy for writing about anything you want to write about. I'm not really sure that made sense. My point is, I've found that if you write for fun, the whole process is alot easier.

Prime example. After I had decided that no one would read my all OC fic, I tried to write a story about the adventures of Han and Chewie. I love Han. I love Chewie. They've always been my favorite canon characters. I didn't get past the first frickin page. Then, I got this idea for a fic using established EU characters with an OC thrown in. I finished it in no time. Now, let's see if I can get some readers for it.

The point is, write what you like. I truly believe if it's good, the readers will come.

21. ViariSkywalker

Aug 9, 2002
    Here here, UJ. I agree. Although it can be discouraging when other fics have tons of readers and your fic has almost none. It's not unfair, it's just requires a lot of patience, because eventually we'll get noticed and the readers will come. But when you don't have much patience it can be hard. Sometimes I want to tell people straight out that I have an archived fic, so my story won't be complete garbage. Unfortunately I can't operate like that...it would be kind of rude I think. Sorry about the ranting...it's 10:15pm over here, and I think I need some sleep, lol.

22. The_Standmaiden

Jul 28, 2002
    Hey, my fic has next to no readers and it is mostly canon characters with a few minor OCs. Don't feel bad. The readers will come! :)

23. UrbanJedi

Dec 14, 1999
    No, no apology required. I totally agree. My only problem is, I'm still trying to get archived. LOL!!!

24. The_Standmaiden

Jul 28, 2002
    I'm new to fanfic. Can you explain "archived" please?

25. UrbanJedi

Dec 14, 1999
    They have here at The Force.Net a place where you can get your Fan Fic "archived" or published on line so to speak. If it's good enough and pasts the reviewing process, than it will be placed on the site's archive for others to read. Click here to go to the TF.N Fan Fic archive. Hope that helps. And check out my bio for my fics. (See Viari, I can't help myself. LOL)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.