main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Original Trek series to be HD'ed, SE'ed and CGI'ed!

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by ThisGuns4Hire, Aug 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ThisGuns4Hire

ThisGuns4Hire Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 7, 2006
    From TheDigitalBits.com...........

"Now then... this next story will definitely pique the interest of anyone who loves Star Trek. This past weekend, I had the pleasure of participating in Mark Altman's panel discussion at World-Con in Anaheim (sponsored by CFQ magazine), where we discussed the future of the Star Trek franchise. One of the things that came up is the eventual release of Trek titles in high-definition.

I've posted here on The Bits before that Star Trek: The Original Series (which was shot and finalized on film) is currently being given new high-def transfers by CBS for future HD syndication, as well as eventual release in the new HD-DVD and Blu-ray Disc formats (click this link and slide down a few paragraphs for that story). Enterprise was shot on film also (for its first three seasons) and HD too (for the fourth season), and it was post-produced in HD from the beginning, so it's ready to go now. We also know that all of the feature films are being remastered for HD release. And Star Trek: The Animated Series was recently remastered in high-def (from the original film elements) for its upcoming DVD release.

Now... going into the panel this weekend, I was wondering about The Next Generation, Deep Space Nine and Voyager. All three of those shows were post-produced and edited in 4x3, standard definition video... but the episodes were all shot on film. CBS could, in theory, go back to the original film elements for those episodes, re-transfer them all in high-definition and re-do all of the special effects with new CGI at high-def resolution. The result would be rebuilt HD versions of the episodes. All that would be required is the will to do it and the money to get it done right. This possibility was discussed during the panel.

So here's where it gets even more interesting. In doing some digging with our industry sources over the last few days... I've found out something that's going to come as a major surprise to a lot of you. It might be one of the best kept secrets in Hollywood in recent years. Never mind The Next Generation, Deep Space Nine and Voyager: It turns out that CBS Video, as part of their high-definition remastering of The Original Series, IS giving a lot of the special effects shots a new CG face-lift! Specifically, they're re-doing all of the spaceship shots. This to me is a very exciting idea... in principle. As anyone who saw the Mirror Universe episodes of Star Trek: Enterprise will tell you, the old TOS ships look awfully damn good in new CG. The replicated TOS sets, the original ship designs... rather than looking dated, they actually hold up VERY well by today's standards. Re-doing the effects will give new life to The Original Series and could help it appeal to a new, younger generation of fans. Unlike, say... the Star Wars films... the original versions of these episodes will always be preserved in GREAT remastered quality on DVD. And it would be extremely cool if CBS would release BOTH versions of the episodes on HD-DVD/Blu-ray, such that you can choose which version you wish to watch... the original or the new enhanced version.

Here's my concern about this... I've learned that, rather than going with a proven effects house, CBS has chosen to do the new CG work in-house. One hopes that they've got someone with REAL Trek effects experience and knowledge involved in the effort... and they they're taking care to preserve the look and feel of the original shots. There's also the concern over whether CBS will re-frame the 1.33:1 aspect ratio series in 1.78:1 for HD presentation. I tried contacting CBS and their DVD distributor, Paramount, on this subject last week, but there was basically no comment. I suppose we'll find out soon enough, but cross your fingers in the meantime. Any way you slice it, however, this is a very interesting development. By the way, if anyone at CBS and Paramount DOES want to discuss this issue now... you know where to find me.

As Spock might say... "Fascinating." Stay tuned..."

2. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    That's interesting. Hope they know what they are doing.

3. sidious618

sidious618 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 20, 2003
    That could work well or be a disaster.

4. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I'm actually surprised they took this long to do this- or at least surprised no fan efforts have done something similar yet, given the power of off-the-shelf software and such.

Granted, the dated FX are easy to overlook and are the least of TOS's problems (you can't fix bad acting, dropped plot points or annoying cinematography with CGI ;) ), but it does take it one small step closer to making TOS more watchable and less cringe-inducing for current and future generations.

There's a website called Trek Enhanced with some video examples of a proposed re-do of the FX for TOS froma couple years ago, and it's certainly interesting (though I think he tried too hard to match the title sequence's "head on whoosh" of the Enterprise, since it still looks like it's flying with the ship tilted at an angle :p ).

5. redsabreanakin

redsabreanakin Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 16, 2005
    No way..not falling for this one. Another Gimmick. I love TOS as much as the next person; but i'm tired of all these issues, re-issues, re-re-issues,criterion,extended, blu-ray..blah,blah,blah..

I think I'll pass on this

6. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    I was never a big Trek fan but I think the idea of going back and redoing the FX shoots is a horrible idea. It's going to upset alot of people.

7. General Kenobi

General Kenobi Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 31, 1998
    I can't believe it would be worth it to do this for all 79 episodes. Pick the four best episodes to add CGI, and see how that goes first.

What episodes would benefit the most from this?

Balance Of Terror?
    The Doomsday Machine?
    The Deadly Years?
    Journey To Babel?
    The Enterprise Incident?

8. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    While I agree they'd be best focusing on a few of the better episodes, it probably wouldn't be too difficult to just take the same 4 or 5 stock footage shots they sued on the show, redo them, maybe add a couple variations and insert that into 2/3rds of the episodes. The rest just need updated planet images and phaser shots added or what have you.

EDIT:

TV Guide confirms it

[image=http://www.aintitcool.com/images2006/newent.jpg]

The upgraded episodes â?? to be shown out of order and one per week â?? will kick off with "Balance of Terror," a big fan favorite "that gives us a chance to really show off the â??new' Enterprise," says Okuda. "The exterior of the ship now has depth and detail, and it will fly more dynamically." (Click here for a larger version of the image at left.) Painted backdrops will also be brought to life: Once-empty star bases will have CGI people milling about, while static alien landscapes have been given slow-moving clouds and shimmering water. Okuda notes that a view of Earth in the 1966 episode "Miri" has been "replaced with a more accurate image, now that we've gone into deep space and looked back at ourselves."

Trek's opening theme is also getting an overhaul: The music has been re-recorded in stereo with a bigger orchestra, and a new singer has been hired to wail those famous but wordless vocals. And goofs will be corrected: In "The Naked Time," there was no beam coming out of Scotty's phaser when he tried to cut through the bulkhead outside Engineering. Now there is.

So be happy to know the presence of an exact duplicate of Earth in "Miri" will now go unexplained with more accuracy ;) :p

9. malkieD2

malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2002
    I go for disaster. I'm sure it will technically look better, but won't be within keeping of the rest of the filming.

Leave old things alone please.

10. Mustafar_66

Mustafar_66 Force Ghost star 6

May 20, 2005
    Ugh, that model is hideous. I was hoping that they wouldn't be using that one. Just too damned flat.

11. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    Updating the CGI is an interesting idea. I've always hoped, to some degree that they'll do the same thing to Babylon 5.

12. Darth_Hydra

Darth_Hydra Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 14, 2001
    This is going to be the Star Wars Special Editions all over again: people get excited and hyped up to see the changes only to be disappointed in the end. I hope this is all just a rumor, or at the very least never gets past the planning stages.

13. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Nope, it's confirmed- looks like it might even start airing as early as Sept!

I think this is different from the SW SEs- seems like they're trying to maintain the style or intent of the original material, instead of totally revising it. And, of course, the original versions are available as well, so there is that difference ;)

14. Jedi_Twilight

Jedi_Twilight Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 26, 2004
    I started a thread about this in Amp. quite awhile ago i was asking who would be in favor of them redoing the ship models and phaser effects. Quite a few were up for the idea. I got the inspiration after seeing the Enterprise episode In A Mirror Darkly. I dont think its a bad thing.

http://boards.theforce.net/Message.aspx?topic=22557660&brd=10382&replies=34

15. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    Will the word Klingon be changed to skin challenged man?

16. RK_Striker_JK_5

RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost star 7

Jul 2, 2003
    Already got all 3 seasons on DVD. Not shelling out more money for some 'snazzy' special effects, nosiree![face_shame_on_you]

17. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    I have a feeling that the majority of the fans of the original series won't like the cgi additions and upgrades. I wonder how Gene would feel about this.

18. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    "Klingon Augments" ;)

19. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Two years ago, I had thought of this while watching an episode on Sci-Fi. I think it could help keep the series interesting for newer generations. Though, I'd change the transporter effects to make them at least to match the color settings established in the third film. I wonder if they'll add the rainbow effect for the warp drive.

20. OBI-BEN-KENOBI

OBI-BEN-KENOBI Jedi Knight star 6

Mar 13, 2004
    I am definitely looking forward to this. I do hope the added effects aren't too good though. From what I've seen and read, it seems like it'll all blend together really well. But if they fix everything up but the ship interior itself, it might clash horribly. So I hope that bringing it all into HD will link everything together better. Having phsers, transporters, and alien homeworlds altered could be hit or miss. As for the in space shots, I'm not concerned. Anything is an improvement over those. Even if they just CGI'd the wires away, it's an improvement.

21. Moleman1138

Moleman1138 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 18, 2004
    I'm actually looking forward to it. It's kind of strange to see the actors from the 60's with CGI. But they did the same thing with the OT so bring it on.

22. DarthButt

DarthButt Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 11, 2003
    I'm with that mole that posted above me. :p

23. ObiWanCon

ObiWanCon Jedi Master star 4

Apr 15, 2004
    If done right it could be GREAT so fingers crossed. [face_good_luck][face_good_luck]

24. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    There's a little vidoe up on Star trek.com that ha s acouple glimpses of what they've done- mainly a couple shots of the ship, and the image rstoration.

All episodes are being remastered in high definition and all 79 episodes will have visual effects work done. The extent of that work will vary though between 15-70 shots per episode, which will mean ultimately a change of up to 90 seconds per episode at most.

Whilst space ship and landscape effects will be done, aliens and sets will have little to no retouching. Where it doesn't affect storytelling, they will be generating new model ships for episodes which reused old props.

Most telling are two points though - firstly the episodes are not being edited from their original full & syndicated cuts. This means there'll be no new FX shots randomly thrown in - each of the updated FX shots can only be as long as the original effects shot they're replacing.

Secondly they're very deliberately trying to fit the mold of the original series so the new effects won't leap out at you. Talking with IESB, the designers say "Right down to the placement of stars is being re-simulated to exactly what was there in the first place" and "The approach is that Star Trek is a period piece...so all the decisions are being made to honor the production styles and style of cinematography and style of editing. And that as our guidance, using the original decisions made by the directors and the editors".

25. SkottASkywalker

SkottASkywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 3, 2002
    This is just crazy. They should be making the newer STAR TREK look like the original STAR TREK series, not the other way around. :mad:

:p

Actually, this is very interesting. It may have crossed my mind in the past that updates to the special effects and so on could be done to the original STAR TREK series and what it would be like. [face_peace]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.