main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Origins of SW music?

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by collegedude, Mar 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. collegedude

collegedude Jedi Youngling

Mar 22, 2005
    Im doing my junior thesis paper on the influence of romantic composers in the realm of soundtrack composers, specifically the one and only JW. However I am having trouble fnding credible and 'checkable' info regarding the influence on star wars score. I've talked to some professors about it and they don't seem to know much (contrary to their belief!)

So I thought why not release this question to all the crazy JW/SW fans out there and get some real answers:

What do you think are some noticable influences of classical music in star wars? Any good sites?.....

2. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    I`d imagine JW based the orignal ANH score on the mythology Geogre based the story on,at least thats how I see it...

3. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    Holst's The Planets was a notable influence on Williams when he wrote the Star Wars score in 1977. Particularly the Venus movement for Leia's theme and the Mars movement for the Imperial Attack cue. Wagner's Leit motif approach to opera was also quite influential on how Williams developed the thematic palatte of the SW scores. Consider as well the influence of Orff's Carmina Burana on cues like Duel of the Fates.

You might also try the jwfan.net website for some very knowledgeable music people. Some there are both well educated in music and in Williams' music.

4. General Kenobi

General Kenobi Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 31, 1998
    Well, definitely Wagner and Holst. Also, some of the classic film score composers like Erich Korngold, Max Steiner, Alfred Newman and Miklos Rosza.

5. Cerrabore

Cerrabore Jedi Master star 4

Jan 17, 2004
    Yeah, Korngold for sure. The Main Title borrows part of his Kings Row Main Title note-for-note!

6. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Another big influence is Wagner. This is an absolutely wonderful site about Star Wars and Wagner's Ring. And I wrote a whole thesis paper deal about how Williams used Wagner's idea of leitmotifs and themes in the SW scores, so if you need resources or anything on that, just ask ;)

-sj loves kevin spacey

7. whsoxlosenow

whsoxlosenow Jedi Youngling

Apr 6, 2005
    any of the original star wars score was based on a style that GL, wanted JW to work with. Williams created on from there.

8. skyy38

skyy38 Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 26, 2003
    Speaking of Korngold check out "The Adventures of Robin Hood" sometime.

I swear there is the basis of Ewok-type music in there!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.