main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Origins of Vader . . . Sith Lord or Ice Warrior?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Excellence, Sep 28, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002
    I couldn't believe it. Yet there it was, right in front of me, clear as honest politicians. I enjoyed that episode of Doctor Who, The Monster of Peladon. Don't know why, with such outdated "special effects" and all. But I like the 3rd Doctor's persona, and the ancient series seems to have some pretty good acting.

Then I saw Vader.

Costumed dark green, perhaps, but it was Vader. Ice Warrior Commander Azaxyr (ah-zack-zeer) has the same helmet shape, and guess what, the same intermittent breathing pattern. The grin started tugging my mouth wide, you know, one of those smarmy smirks that comes natural to me. But as the episode progressed, the resemblance was just too uncanny.

I had to ask it here, since Literatureans have better data sources than the denizens of other forums, and . . . well, lets face it: you're all a bunch of wizbiz historians when it comes to SW lore, even the sources that aren't published products.

This link is from an earlier part, the Curse of Peladon, but it's the only pic of the Ice Warrior commander I can provide. Same chap as the Monster episode, and with that classic "Vader breathing too."

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B00004WG6R.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

So if this Dr Who: Monster of Peladon is around 1975---and taking into account production lead up before screening---where did the Vader inspiration come from?

2. quad_gun_jinn

quad_gun_jinn Jedi Master star 4

Dec 13, 2002
    From what I vaguely remember from the DVD Ralph macquarie designed him with help from GL. I'm not sure if they said where the inspiration came from but I think it was designed before 75

3. killfire

killfire Jedi Master star 4

Jan 6, 2001
    When I joined an American company some years ago I was sent to a bootcamp like all new hires and one of the first things we were told is not to reinvent the wheel but to steal, lie and cheat.

Seems at least one other company follows that principle.

4. Rogue_Thunder

Rogue_Thunder FanForce CR, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada star 6

Jan 7, 2003
    That looks nothing like Darth Vader. It does look like... well, I can't say what it looks like since it probably violates the ToS, but I think you kno what I'm thinking ;)

5. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    A custom-built Hutt battlestation known as the Darksaber? Yes, yes it does.[/safeanswer]

6. alasander

alasander Jedi Youngling

Sep 28, 2004
    Being a fan of Doctor Who i can tell you the Ice warriors pre date Starwars by 12 years, however, the Ice Lord you refer to made their 1st appearance in the Story called the Seeds of Death, this was from 1969, they look better in black and white.

7. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002
    Rogue Thunder, I only said the head helmet, acting mannerisms/persona and intermittent breathing rasp were too much like Vader's. The helmet and breathing most definitely is.

All I know of Ice Warriors is what I saw yesterday: the bulkier emerald soldiers, and the trimmer, sharp-persona commander. It was the Azaxyr chap who was Vader spot on. Just substitute the green for black, and bob's your uncle.

I didn't like the uncanny comparison . . .

8. BigBossNass1138

BigBossNass1138 Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 13, 2002
    Heh heh. My brother commented on this as well. And it's something I've noticed in the past (I'm a long-time Doctor Who fan). I don't think it's anything more than a coincidence, though. I'm almost positive McQuarrie based Vader's helmet off those of old Japanese warriors, and the odds are good that that could be what the Ice Lords' helmets are inspired by too.

And I thought the Ice Lords looked quite cool in colour, actually. I really like the mottled texture on the helmet for some reason. The actual warriors, though, look a bit dumb in colour, though only marginally more dumb than they did in B+W :p.

9. Rogue_Thunder

Rogue_Thunder FanForce CR, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada star 6

Jan 7, 2003
    Hey, I only say what I see. Maybe my mind's in other places :p

It also says on the DVD that McQuarrie based his designs for Vader off of Japanese Samurai.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.