main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Solo OT: Angry fans chase Pablo Hidalgo off social media

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by Ender_and_Bean, May 26, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ender_and_Bean

Ender_and_Bean Chosen One star 6

May 19, 2002
    Not sure which area for this news is most appropriate but he took the bait, got angry, and then deleted his account and started entirely over. If you were following him you are now folllowing an HVAC company and if you try to follow his new one he’s added a soft block from the looks of it.

[​IMG]

[Removed due to language]

Last edited by a moderator: May 27, 2018
  2. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I don’t think this thread will last, but I agree with the last tweet by Keegan.

3. Glitterstimm

Glitterstimm Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2017
    I wonder if his bosses told him to do that. Even without considering his personal opinions, it always seemed very unprofessional for him to be getting into flame wars on twitter like he was an average fan and not a spokesperson for LFL.

MS1, AhsokaSolo, Gamma626 and 2 others like this.
  4. Ender_and_Bean

May 19, 2002
    JJ Abrams and Kathleen Kennedy are smart to not have social media at all.

There’s not much to gain from the experience and plenty to lose. If I was them I’d just have private accounts and communicate with friends and family via PM.

Last edited: May 26, 2018
  5. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    Opinions are like ***holes, everyone's got one

Darth Smurf, Malachi108 and firesaber like this.
  6. Darth Bridge 167

Darth Bridge 167 Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 13, 2017
    Yes there are always idiots from our fanbase (it is like that in every walk of life: sports fans, politics, etc), but that is never the majority and these people at Disney need to stop reacting to those fans and then lumping us all with them. It boggles my mind when I see Rian Johnson, Pablo Hidalgo, and even Jon Kasdan Jr going at it with the fans on Social Media, as the one thing you don't do is insult your fanbase. THEY are the paying customers and should be treated with respect (while ignoring the small amount idiot trolls). The underwhelming box office numbers of Solo is the perfect storm for how Disney has handled the franchise in the past 3 years.

7. Solo88

Solo88 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 31, 2018
    Or maybe Lucasfilm finally put in place a proper social media policy for its employees.

8. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    It's pretty simple, really. If you consistently are unsatisfied by something, drop it. Walk away if you're not enjoying it. Don't get involved with the trolling that's going on (it seems to be semi-organized at this point) It's not constructive, it's completely obnoxious.

9. Blue 5

Blue 5 Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 6, 2017
    That would be too logical. But hey, their business, their damage to their brand.

Darth Dnej likes this.
  10. Serpico Jones

Serpico Jones Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    This is probably what happened and I'm honestly surprised it didn't happen sooner.

Darth Dnej likes this.
  11. Strongbow

Strongbow Force Ghost star 5

Nov 6, 2014
    These disgusting little ******** need to be called out at every opportunity. They are absolute poison.

DAR, Seagoat, PymParticles and 3 others like this.
  12. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Hmm, extreme toxicity like that is obviously dumb, although I think Hidalgo sometimes has an annoying trollish streak himself. I think he could use a bit of course correction himself.

cookeycat and Jedha like this.
  13. Ubraniff Zalkaz

Ubraniff Zalkaz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 26, 2014
    Anyone who uses the term “sjw” should be ignored.

14. Darth Bridge 167

Darth Bridge 167 Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 13, 2017
    I think the whole world needs a course on how to interact on Social Media. It isn't just SW talk, its everywhere, as it is such a turnoff when I'm on Facebook, Twitter, etc. It's like people think we live in a post-apocalypse world and there are no laws so they can say whatever they want without the hint of courtesy towards the other. And it doesn't help that people in power don't ignore social media altogether. Why would Rian Johnson start arguing with fans of the movies? Why do athletes argue with fans? Why do politicans argue with voters on social media, as it always descends into the lowest of lows. Social Media is such a great tool and 95% of the people use it for the wrong reasons.

15. Serpico Jones

Nov 3, 2012
    Agreed. Pablo frequently went looking for trouble and would often come across as an unprofessional himself.

Malachi108, Mange, AhsokaSolo and 7 others like this.
  16. Jedi Jessy

Jedi Jessy Force Ghost star 5

Feb 28, 2016
    What's "MRA"?

17. Ender_and_Bean

May 19, 2002
    Part of me wonders if they took disciplinary action against him in some way.

Can you imagine if he was like on suspension or something?

It sucks bad enough getting banned on a forum over a stupid argument. I can’t even fathom how devastating it would be to lose a job like the on he has over social media anger. Aside from the online abuse (which might cross over into in person abuse now and then) that job would be a dream job for so many people around the world.

Will be interesting to see if there’s anything more to this.

@Jedi Jessy MRA are Men’s rights activists.

18. Solo88

Solo88 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 31, 2018
    Or how about if you're a person who represents a company you ignore them, don't give them the attention they want, and report them to Twitter. That's the professional thing to do.

AhsokaSolo, Blobofat and Jedha like this.
  19. Strongbow

Strongbow Force Ghost star 5

Nov 6, 2014
    Meh. I think poking self-entitled little jerks in the eye should be everyone's prerogative. I'm happy I don't have to deal with alt-right ***** constantly hounding me about me work.

I disagree. I think failing to call these "people" out for their disgusting behavior empowers them. Don't like a movie? Fine. But don't be a jerk about it. This nastiness is getting more and more traction in our culture, and it needs to be addressed head-on, IMO. I personally am done pussy-footing around bad behavior.

20. Theo333

Theo333 Jedi Master star 3

Mar 29, 2011
    Mmm, keep bringing in that movie ticket revenue, Pablo!

Mange, lavjoricso and Jedha like this.
  21. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    Ugly stuff. It is a very good time to be a SW. Its also one of the worst times, too.

22. Serpico Jones

Nov 3, 2012
    I did notice that a lot of people were complaining to Bob Iger’s twitter account over these last few weeks about Pablo’s behavior. That may have gotten the attention of Disney’s CEO.

Jedi_Fenrir767 and Jedha like this.
  23. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    I do think this current partisan Far-Left politicizing of Star Wars under Iger & Kennedy (and Abrams ) is strange & wrong. Star Wars was for everybody, not about pushing politics and personal/party agendas in the films.

Blackhole E Snoke and JarJar Fan like this.
  24. Ender_and_Bean

May 19, 2002
    It feels like this troll culture gets these trolls what they want more than not lately. In Gamergate they silenced females who wanted different female characters in games. They scared some people out of journalism entirely with swatting efforts and posting addresses and death threats. On steam and metacrtic they tanked video game reviews over politics. Star Wars is facing the wrath of the same groups of people all over online.

It’s not like they will stop even if there was some changes. It’s not like some new boss would come in and say, “We listened to the alt right and men’s rights groups and new movies will cater to their demands! Steve Bannon will star as a brand new Jedi Master who trains his twin son boys and brings Luke back from beyond and all 4 work together to defeat the evil and sexy temptress Sith Lord who dangerously thinks poor people should have a chance at breaking family cycles of poverty and rising up into the middle class! We hope these changes will unite our fandom!”

I don’t see the end game here.

25. ComfortablyNunb

ComfortablyNunb Jedi Master star 3

Nov 21, 2015
    I don't see them lumping legit dissenters in with the alt-right bigots. It may seem that way at times from clickbait headlines and out-of-context quotes, but if anything, I see constant qualifications in their replies, "It's okay to dislike a film, but if you're complaining about 'SJWs'..."

How have they handled it? Three straight billion-dollar mega-hits with 'A' Cinemascores that were also highly critically acclaimed followed by one relative dud with a respectable 70% RT rating and an "A-" Cinemascore? At this point in the MCU, Kevin Feige had made Iron Man, Incredible Hulk, Iron Man 2 and Thor. That's a 1/4 success rate even in the eyes of MCU fanboys. They didn't even have two billion-dollar hits in a row until 10 years in with Black Panther and IW...and that streak will end with Ant-Man & The Wasp. Solo is underperforming because it's a spinoff no one asked for (starring a replacement Han Solo no less) released just 5 months after the last SW movie, which was very divisive among fans.

I will agree with you about one thing. Official Disney employees (and celebs in general) should avoid responding to that minority of bigoted trolls. You can interact with fans, even dissenters who dislike the films, but there's no need to dignify alt-right whining. Especially since there are plenty of fans who will confront those comments for them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.