main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

OT - Casting Calls

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by _Vengeance_, Apr 30, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. _Vengeance_

_Vengeance_ Jedi Master star 4

Jul 1, 2002
    Ok, so my fellow co-writers and myself have finally decided that it's time to start planning a casting call for our upcoming film (not a FanFilm.) We know that for the main parts that we need, we want to have people that we atleast kind of know so it's easier to work with them, so that's covered, but for everything else (extra's, not so important parts, etc.) we'll need to have a casting call. We're all highschoolers, so would it be easiest to just start posting up posters on the wall with a place to meet and stuff, or get in on the announcements ordeal and go it that way?

Sorry if this is a pointless thread, but this is the first time we've pulled a casting call, so we're new to it and wondering. So yeah, any advice, tips, pointers, et cetera would be greatly appreciated!

2. Sau-Den

Sau-Den Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 3, 2002
    Well I'm working with 20+ plus extras in this battle scene for my film and I just ask a bunch of people I know, I'm a freshmen and I got about 10 friends that are extras, another 15 that actually have parts, and then I got 10+ softmores and juniors being extras or some having small parts. So just start asking around to people you know and say, "Hey, we're filming this movie this weekend (or whenever), you wanna come on over and be in it for a little bit?" they most likely will just be like "Yeah, sure, cool" It's not all that difficult to get some extra people, the problem is getting enough available on the day u shoot

3. drippyzeo

drippyzeo Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 11, 2002
    It's all about targeted advertising. Get the word out to people who'd be interested--ie. drama depts. at local schools, theatre troupes.

4. Sau-Den

Sau-Den Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 3, 2002
    Well not necessarily Star Wars fans, he said it wasn't a fan film. What's the movie about?

5. ChrisHanel

ChrisHanel Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 8, 2002
    You'd be surprised how much a want ad in the paper helps. Also, look for any local community theaters, make sure to get bullitens there (ESPECIALLY backstage) and get word of mouth going too.

-Chris

6. _Vengeance_

_Vengeance_ Jedi Master star 4

Jul 1, 2002
    Well not necessarily Star Wars fans, he said it wasn't a fan film. What's the movie about?

It's about three college students who are like these absolute geniuses, but they never do anything in class so everyone thinks they're stupid/wierd/etc. And then something happens (don't want what it is to get out until the film's done) and these three guys end up solving the problem, and life goes on. Kind of going to be something like Donnie Darko, except different, lol. You'll see in a couple months ;) (hopefully)

7. Ra_Skywalker420

Ra_Skywalker420 Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 11, 2003
    i'd do it....but theres a slight problem...IM IN THE SOUTH AND CANT GO NO WHERE! good luck though! have fun!

8. 20x6

20x6 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 10, 2003
    re: We're all highschoolers

For some authenticity you may want to go over to the community college and post your casting call. If they're supposed to be college students you may want to use actors who look old enough to fit the bill. Plus if you hit up the drama department you may get people who can actually act. (woah, fan films with good acting - is it possible?)JK

9. Ishyko

Ishyko Jedi Youngling star 2

May 8, 2000
    Word of mouth worked the best for us. Our first shoot had 40 actors, the second 50, the third had 80 plus. One person worked at a school and got a bunch of teachers to show up. Some people would bring 5 or more friends.

We also posted to the Virginia Film Commission (free) and did receive quite a few interested people. The film commission (available in every state) is great because you can specify the age group, look, etc. you're looking for. These are actors looking for work, they have a headshot and a resume.

Hope this helps.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.