main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[OT] LOTRccg vs. Swccg vs. P&P

Discussion in 'Archive: Games: CCG, TCG, and Boardgames' started by Mac3_WinD00, Aug 18, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mac3_WinD00

Mac3_WinD00 Jedi Youngling

Jul 15, 2002
    Hey, i posting this to get a thread going about the differnces between gameplay in each game, your opinions on comparisons of each game, and the STORY behind each game too :)

Personally i started off in LOTR ccg. i've been a HUGE Tolkien fan ever since i was 7 years old when my dad read me the hobbit. the game was fun, and don't get me wrong, still is fun. but is lacking. lacking alot.

It has extremely repetitive gameplay, which turned me away from games such as WWF: Raw Deal, and Magic: The Gathering. it's basically you put on weapons, play events, and fight, then move to the next site and repeat, granted thats excessively paraphrased, it's still the basic rundown.
    this type of this draws me away from these types of games.

Penicl & Paper rpg's will forever hold their own at the top of the gaming world, the only things that are even on par wiht it, is the GM's imagination. these games are unmatched at terms of, fun, creativeness, non-repetitiveness and basically everything else you could want in a game.

But sometimes you just feel like freeing han from jabba's audience chamber. That's where your good old 'profit deck comes in handy. you get the urge to hunt down dome jedi and thats when you get the urge to CCG! these games have their niche in 2nd to rpgs! diversity in deck design, no deck to cheesy, no deck to unfair, just simple and even playing field fun.

So c'mon people give your opinions

2. Artie-Deco

Artie-Deco Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 23, 2001
    I don't disagree with your observations ... in fact, I have begun to feel uneasy that LOTR:TCG was becoming repetitive, too. But there are still only three expansions out for that game, so I wouldn't pass final judgement so soon. New expansions (like Two Towers) will introduce new cultures and new dynamics, so who knows what the future holds for that game?

Personally, I am not a big fan of P&P RPGs. Am I unimaginative? No, it's just not my cup of tea. Are P&P RPGs the ultimate game experience? That's too subjective. It may be the ultimate experience for you, but it isn't for me.

And I am not surprised that such a big fan of RPGs like yourself enjoys SW:CCG more than LOTR ... SW:CCG is more like a RPG-with-cards than LOTR:TCG, Magic, or any other Star Wars CCG/TCG. (I'm not saying SW:CCG is a RPG-with-cards, I'm saying it is more like a RPG-with-cards than the others....)

By the way, Mac3, what are your thoughts on WizKids's MageKnight and the like?

3. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    Maybe LOTR is a bit repetitive, but I have never grown tired of the game.

4. Artie-Deco

Artie-Deco Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 23, 2001
    Bib! Welcome back, old buddy! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.