main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[OT] Other Card Games

Discussion in 'Archive: Games: CCG, TCG, and Boardgames' started by Kenix Kil, Apr 22, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kenix Kil

Kenix Kil Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 7, 2000
    I was just wondering what other card games people on here played. Tell me what games you play or used to play and include the CCG or TCG.

2. Darksbane

Darksbane Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 9, 2002
    Currently playing:

Magi-Nation
    SWTCG
    Warlord
    Warhammer 40K CCG

Have played:
    SWCCG
    JK
    YJ
    Rifts
    Wheel of Time
    Raw Deal
    Pokemon
    Magic
    l5R (shortly)
    LotR
    Buffy
    DBZ

3. Artie-Deco

Artie-Deco Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 23, 2001
    CCGs I own and have at least a pair of decks built:

SW:CCG (duh!)
    SW:TCG
    YJ
    JK
    LOTR
    Star Trek CCG
    Magi-Nation
    X-Men
    ReCharge
    Scooby Doo (what can I say, I'm a fan!)

CCGs I have played at least once, but don't own any cards:

Magic
    Pokemon
    Middle-Earth

I think that's it.

I also have the ST:CCG Tribbles box set, and the Episode I Customizable Card Game. I don't really consider them "CCGs" since you can't really customize them that much.

I also own a handful of Mage Knight figures. I like that game a lot, but I stopped buying them because I'm going to buy HeroClix instead.

4. Red84

Red84 SWCCG Content Mgr. (Card Games) star 4 VIP

Oct 20, 2000
    CCGs I own and actively play:
    Star Wars CCG
    Lord of the Rings
    RAW Deal
    Star Trek
    Highlander
    Young Jedi

CCGs I own, but have not played or only play sporadically:
    Jedi Knights
    James Bond
    7th Sea
    Dune
    Loony Toons
    MLB Showdown
    Episode I Multi-player
    Marvel: Overpower
    Terminator

5. Ocelot_X

Ocelot_X Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 16, 2001
    SWCCG (The Greatest Ever)
    Lord of the Rings (heir to the throne)
    Jedi Knights (I don't care what anyone else says, this game was great, it was the collectability that killed it)
    Young Jedi (the pormotional Sample Decks Decipher gave out when the game first came out was more fun than the actual game, IMO)
    Marvel Overpower (I tried it once, but it seemed kinda silly, like you were throwing super heroes/villains at the other guy)
    Babylon 5 (I never really liked it, my buddy was into it and he made me play a couple times)
    James Bond (another good game that, like Jedi Knights, didn't get a fair shake)
    Pokemon (my girlfriend's little brother is always making me play)
    Magic (I watched a other guys playing a bunch of times and thought it looked fun. I played it once and realized it wasn't)
    MLB Showdown (One of my CCG buddies came back from college one semester raving about how fun it was. Maybe it is, but I got tired of it when he was teaching me how to play, grabbed some other cards that were lying around, made R2-D2 my pitcher and had Chewie shoot his entire bench with a BlasTech E-11B and get away in a Z-95 Headhunter)

I've been meaning to try out the Mage Knight miniatures game (probably the Dungeons variant), good to hear it's fun, Artie.

The only other CCG I think I'd try any time soon is if somebody would make a really great CCG based on the Legacy of Kain video games. Actually I'd probably try it even if it turned out to be lame, but if it were good enough it might even divert my attention from LotR. Does anyone else here think that would be cool?

6. Joseph_Orion

Joseph_Orion Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2001
    SWCCG - Fun game, lots of strategy
    YJ - It's pretty fun but too fast (same with SWTCG)
    SWTCG - I really like this game, it's good fun :)
    Pokemon - I'm not going to make up some lame excuse for playing it, it's easy and pretty fun once you get past the fact that it's a kid's game lol :)
    LOTR - My favorite game
    Warhammer 40K - pretty weird but a good refreshing game from the norm

and that's about it :)

7. ObiWan6986

ObiWan6986 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 1, 2002
    I played all of these actively for some time. The only one i still play now is SW:CCG.

SW:CCG
    Magic
    YJ

I have played the following at least once.

DBZ
    Marvel
    MLB Showdown

8. youngvader

youngvader Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 21, 1999
    Now...
    SW CCG
    LOTR TCG

and then...
    Magic
    ST CCG
    Young Jedi
    X-Files
    WWF CCG

9. PloKeahey

PloKeahey Jedi Youngling

Mar 27, 2002
    Geeeze.. I'm starting to feel old...
    all these newer games....

I regularly play YJ....

I quit and sold all my Magic cards....

Other Games I've picked up and played...
    SWCCG
    Illuminati
    Over the Edge (awesome game!!!!!)
    Dragon Dice
    and the other TSR game based on Planescape that I"m too lazy to go look up. :)

10. Jedi_Nailbiter

Jedi_Nailbiter Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 22, 2000
    I only play Magic.

11. Artie-Deco

Aug 23, 2001
    Ha ha! Then what are you doing here?? :)

12. nick15

nick15 Jedi Youngling

Jan 8, 2002
    I actively play Pokémon. :) I used to play magic, but grew tired of it.

I'm beginning to play the new Star Wars TCG, but there's no one around here who plays it. :(

13. GUARDSMAN

GUARDSMAN Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 16, 2001
    The only ohter card game I play other than Star Wars CCG is..... Yu-Gi-Oh!!!!! I can't believe nobody has mentioned it yet, it is a really cool Japanese card game that just recently came to America. From what I hear it's also becoming a real competitor for games like magic. If anybody was thinking of getting this game then I definitly suggest getting it. Start off with the 2 starter decks though, from there you should be able to make a good decision.

14. Darth Ludicrous

Darth Ludicrous Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 25, 2000
    Spellfire- played it for years. my favorite game, but died after Wizards purchased TSR.
    Magic- only played this with my Japanese student.
    SWCCG- played it until it just got ridiculously complicated and expensive to build good decks.
    Knightmare Chess- Steve Jackson Games made this card game which adds a cool randomness and strategy to chess.

15. Ocelot_X

Ocelot_X Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 16, 2001
    Guardsman: I saw the Yu-Gi-Oh Game Boy game, and I thought it looked fun (I'd rather spend $30 and play with all the cards on my Game Boy than spend $50 and not have any of the cards I want), but then I looked at a few cards and it seemed like the numbers were way too high. Like some card had an attack of 1400 and a defense of 1200 (I think it was a Celtic something or other, Guard maybe). Do the numbers really NEED to be that big? I dunno, it just bothers me when cards have needlessly high numbers. Like the HP numbers is Pokemon, the basic unit is 10. Why not just get rid of that extra zero? Yu-Gi-Oh looked like it was even worse with TWO unnecessary zeros.

16. Kenix Kil

Feb 7, 2000
    Guess I need to say what games I play or have played:

Magic
    Star Wars TCG
    Star Wars CCG
    Star Trek CCG
    LoTR
    X-men
    Alien vs Predator
    Terminator
    WWF Raw Deal
    Magi Nation
    Babylon 5

I am not counting the games like Pokemon and C-23 that I played a few times and decided that I didnt like. These are games that I thought were or are good games to play.

17. GUARDSMAN

GUARDSMAN Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 16, 2001
    Ocelot_X: Well, although I don't know the enitire back history of Yu-Gi-Oh, from what I here it started out as a TV show in Japan, so they based a lot of aspects from the show. Like for example as you have noticed all the atk and def powers are the same. Of course to make a card game work some aspects were also changed.

Also, if you think Celtic Guardian has a high atk power, wait until you encounter the Blue Eyes White Dragon with an atk power of 3000 and 2500 def.

Sorry if I went off topic a bit.

18. Kenix Kil

Feb 7, 2000
    Actually I was hoping that people would start discussing the different games on here not just list them.

19. Artie-Deco

Aug 23, 2001
    Well, we need to keep this on topic. Not really the right forum for discussing the merits of Magi-Nation or why X-Men was such a flop.

:)

20. Red84

Red84 SWCCG Content Mgr. (Card Games) star 4 VIP

Oct 20, 2000
    Well, I let a Lord of the Rings thread go, so I'm not gonna force you guys to the JC Communications forum just to discuss this.

Besides it's sorta on topic as we're obviouslly discussing how other card games compare to the Star Wars card games... aren't we?

;)

21. Artie-Deco

Aug 23, 2001
    Well, I'd love to see a SW card game using Magi-Nation's mechanics:

"Magi" = "Jedi Masters".
    "Creatures" = "Allies/Characters".
    "Spells" = "Fore Powers".
    "Relics" = "Weapons and Devices".
    "Energy" = "Force".

The only thing I can't figure out how to translate cleanly is cultures. Light and Dark would be different cultures, but I imagine you could introduce sub-cultures based on time periods: Old Republic era, Rebellion era, etc. That should give you enough variety, perhaps.

22. Kenix Kil

Feb 7, 2000
    X-men was a good game that just suffered because the boosters didnt come out until almost a year after the starters.

23. Artie-Deco

Aug 23, 2001
    Oh, X-Men has more problems than THAT! :)

My pet peeve is that I can never remember if 1's activate MY mutant powers or HIS. So I gotta keep that stupid dice chart around, just for that.

It might have been a better game if it were designed more head-to-head, with one player playing the X-Men and another playing the Brotherhood.

It also probably would have sold better if they had used movie images. What's with WOTC? First X-Men, then Harry Potter, they don't use movie images, just artwork?

24. Kenix Kil

Feb 7, 2000
    Ok, first the fact that you cant remember the dice chart doesnt make it a bad game. I havent played in a few months and I can still remember it. Second on the promocards they did you movie images but they went away from the movie images to go with characters not in the movie such as Bishop and Angel.

And to be fair they did you the images from Episode II for the TCG.

25. Artie-Deco

Aug 23, 2001
    Don't get too sensitive, Kenix. Didn't say the dice made it a bad game. Just said it was a "pet peeve" of mine.

And yes, I know the promo cards used movie images, but that's only about 6 or 7 cards, and they were PROMO cards. The starter decks only came with one promo foil, and it was a poor picture. People excited about the X-Men movie couldn't get TOO excited about the game. I just think the game would have done a lot better if they had used as many movie images as they could.

To be honest, I still like playing the game from time to time. It's a nice diversion.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.