main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

OOC Out of Bounds (The ELL OOC Thread)

Discussion in 'Role Playing Resource' started by Trieste, Sep 2, 2012.

1. Trieste

Trieste Chosen One star 6

Apr 10, 2010
    Go figure there was a GM error in the standings all along that should have been patently obvious to anyone looking at the standings--especially if they look at them, oh, I don't know, every week because they have to update them. :p

I had a feeling I could entice the intern out of hiding to do work that I didn't have the brain power to do on my own. And since that intern is probably an Officers fan, this GM is going to use his powers to award Euceron a bonus potential even though it can't help them...but it can contribute to the chaos. [face_devil]

2. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    [face_laugh] Just having a bit of fun. :)

As for the bonus roll, the funny thing is that it actually makes the chaos less likely, because Euceron has to lose to Chandrila for the point differential tiebreaker to be possible. But I intend to hopefully get a proper post up this week anyway, since I actually have a storyline to move forward if I'm going to post regularly next season with my current plan.

Bardan_Jusik, Trieste and Runjedirun like this.
  3. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    So this week will begin and end with Carratos v. Bakura limmie action, first in the ELL and then in the GCAA. Loser of the first might wind up picking someone from the winner of the second, eh @galactic-vagabond422?

Bardan_Jusik likes this.
  4. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    1. NPCs miss the playoffs? Check
    2. NPCs finish at the bottom of their conferences? Check
    [​IMG]

WE DID IT EVERYBODY!

Vehn likes this.
  5. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    I see the headlines are still stuck in the Euceron Storm rut. :p

Also, the Officers' blowout win over Chandrila in a meaningless game works perfectly for next season's storyline... depending on how next season goes.

EDIT: I thought head-to-head was the first tiebreaker for the Commissioner's Trophy?

Last edited: Dec 30, 2018
  6. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    You might need to get glasses. I don't see anything of the sort. :p
    So it is! Thanks for mentioning it!

I had a feeling I was going to get something wrong this morning...and I got a couple things wrong. [face_laugh]

jcgoble3 likes this.
  7. Runjedirun

Runjedirun Force Ghost star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    So MAYBE I'm crazy but...

It looks to me like the Miners made the play-offs with their overall record. I went back in the library thread and those overall records are right.

jcgoble3 likes this.
  8. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    Oh wow. I compared this week's scores with my playoff scenarios post from last week, and yes, with a Bakura win, a Ralltiir win, and a Monarchs loss, the Monarchs are out. Ralltiir should be the #2 seed, and Bakura the #3. Looks like it's just a matter of sorting the standings properly.

Runjedirun likes this.
  9. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    Oh you mean I'm supposed to sort them? Jeez, this standings stuff is pretty hard work!

Now how am I going to explain this one in the headlines? :p

Bardan_Jusik and jcgoble3 like this.
  10. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    Blaming it on Wigast? Brilliant idea! :D

Trieste and Bardan_Jusik like this.
  11. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    Why else would we keep him around? :D

Bardan_Jusik and jcgoble3 like this.
  12. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    I'd like to receive your nominations for season awards and draftees by January 5. Nominations, definitely. Draftees, preferably. :)

Bardan_Jusik likes this.
  13. Runjedirun

Sep 3, 2012
    Sometimes I geek out of the strangest things that quasi involve this game. Like just now. Remember yesterday when I wrote that post about the bright lights on the sidelines giving Ty a headache? Today Zac (my inspiration for Ty) wrote a blog and ends it with this line "The future is bright, but so is the light pointed at my eye, and it is making it hard to walk without running into something."

Trieste and jcgoble3 like this.
  14. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    All right folks, @jcgoble3 has initiated a conversation that it's time to have. :D

For the last two years, I've struggled with the fact that I enjoy American football. It's a fun sport to watch...but I'm fully aware of the health effects of even playing it at an early age. If a child of mine were to ask to play it, I don't know if I could in good conscience allow it. It's a reason I haven't watched NFL a lot in the past few seasons (though I still keep up with the Cal Bears out of tribal loyalty). I think that American football should undergo some structural changes to make it more safe (and incidentally turn it into more of a skill game, which might not be a bad thing). However, I'm kind of a prisoner of the system now in that if I keep watching I give them no incentive to change any of that but if I stop watching I deprive myself of something I enjoy.

I, in conjunction with the rest of you, suffer under no such constraints here. Limmie can be whatever we want. The rules don't even impact the scores. I chose Gaelic football as the base of the sport because it was kind of weird and exotic and I like the sport. In doing so, I completely blew by the canon at the time for what limmie was and its rules (for example, my recently-mentioned eliminated offsides and the entire scoring system :p).

Therefore, I'd like to use the opportunity jc has given us to actually think about what we want limmie to be. Obviously, we're not going to turn it into baseball--it'll still be a field-based sport. But what would a safer Star Wars sport look like? In fact, I think it would be awesome to remember this is Star Wars. Are there technology-based solutions we could use? (I only just now thought of that, which is kind of shocking considering how long we've been doing this game...)

Anyways, I'd love to have a conversation about what limmie ought to be!

Runjedirun and jcgoble3 like this.
  15. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    At this point, why not keep it the way it is? I feel like we’ve put in so much sweat equity in this game as players that changing up the formula would be messing with the very foundations of what we’ve built here.

That being said, there have been several points in this game where the uglier side of football has come out (as @Vehn has explored for many years with his stories and posts). There would have to be ways in which the game could be made safer, but I imagine that the league may not be interested (again taking a cue from the NFL). The concussion issue makes me glad I never played football, and I am left wondering after every game if the brain cells lost to big hits are worth it. So I can see there being increased attention paid to that specifically (again quoting Vehn here for the Mithus Sekel suicide many seasons ago after a storied playing career).

So I would go for keeping the format of this game the same but keeping in mind that the game could experience changes in-universe that would alter how it is perceived and played (and then how we as players perceive and play the game). Perhaps players are forced to wear helmets and pads (as @Bardan_Jusik did a while ago in what I feel was another possible frontier to push this game towards though the occasion itself is now lost to hundreds of pages of posts since). Maybe we go like basketball and limit hand-fighting. Do we take a hint from flag football and take violence out of the sport as much as we can? There are so many possibilities here that we can play with.

Vehn, Trieste, jcgoble3 and 1 other person like this.
  16. Runjedirun

Sep 3, 2012
    I've been torn on this issue in game myself. If it's not obvios in my story line I'm a terrible writer. I write Ty as old school, and very ignorant to what's happening to him.

I myself grew up in a household of a die hard Packers fan father. I watched football every Sunday my whole life. Until 2015 when I saw Concussion. I was very aware it could ruin my taste for football, but basketball had already become my favorite sport anyway. After seeing the movie I tried watching football. It wasn't the same. Last year for the first time in my life I didn't watch the Super Bowl. I didn't go to a college with a football team and neither did anyone in my family so there's no allegiances there.

I want to keep the scoring, I'd like to eliminate tackles and head butts, there are lots of concussions in soccer. Sometimes players just run into each other you can't eliminate them altogether. Ty should come around, but the change for now scares him.

Vehn, Trieste and jcgoble3 like this.
  17. Vehn

Vehn Force Ghost star 4

Sep 14, 2009
    @Jedi Gunny, I appreciate you bringing up Mithus Sekel. That takes me back in so many great ways. A lost but ultimately poignant story that deserved mention as we analyze what Limmie has been and where it is going in our beloved Star Wars universe.

I for one kind of like the look that lacrosse players have, with helmets, and some padding, as a way to move Limmie forward. Not so that we can have big hits but so that we can have some sort of realistic protection for our characters. In real life I should say that I religiously watch the Miami Dolphins, because I was raised with them, during the NFL season out of loyalty to my stepdad who raised me watching them and also because, even though they haven't been a successful franchise lately, some hope to retain our former glory. Good luck with Tom Brady in the division but anyways that's another story. Now that you all know my professional loyalties I don't watch football for the big hits. I watch it because I appreciate the history of the game and am keen to see where it is going. I enjoy the lore.

Anyways, I'm done but there you have it.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2019
  18. Bardan_Jusik

Bardan_Jusik Former Manager star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2009
    Safer?

[​IMG]

Mandalore votes for eliminating all penalties and making it even more hard hitting, no holds barred system of play with little to no protection and where injuries are guaranteed. :p

The Mercs did experiment with helmets a while back due to concussion injuries among star players (I think Ryi Kor'le was among them) but they dropped the plan after the remainder of the season didn't go well for them and in game they saw it as a competitive disadvantage. To be honest I use a lot of (American) football and even basketball terminology in the game because it's what I'm more familiar with, but when I see limmie in my mind's eye it's more like soccer which can still be dangerous of course, but is no where near the contact sport football or rubgy are. Honestly, for us here I'm content to let things continue on as they have with no major changes to the game itself. The technology already being used in terms of bacta and advanced sports medicine is what keeps the players on the field as opposed to added protective gear.

However, if we wanted to really get out there, the use of repulsor tech could eliminate hard contact all together. Proximity sensors on the players could activate micro-repulsors in each player's uniform (Mandalorians are carrying replusor tech in their vambraces in the Rebellion Era, surely we can include them in limmie uniforms over 200 years later), which prevent players from actual contact with one another but still push them away from each other. Personally I think that's going too far, but I think it shows how safe we could make the game if we really wanted to. :p

19. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    Excellent thoughts all! Just the kind of discussion I was hoping for!

@Bardan_Jusik good thing UB Cape Suzette wasn't the one tearing through the playoffs or I think I know how the Bank of the Core Bowl would turn out. :p

Vehn likes this.
  20. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    Maybe in ten years all Limmie players will be wearing those bubble balls which allow you to bounce off each other in a rather ridiculous but still hilarious fashion.

Trieste, Vehn, Bardan_Jusik and 2 others like this.
  21. Runjedirun

Sep 3, 2012
    See now that's wat Ty is afraid of. He'd probably be the first one in a bubble for an exhibition game especially if the credits went to charity. But he has pride and he wants his memory to go down as someone who earned a living the hard way.

Trieste, Vehn and jcgoble3 like this.
  22. Vehn

Vehn Force Ghost star 4

Sep 14, 2009
    Epic matchup coming. Here we go for Smugglers/Mercs 2.

Bardan_Jusik and Trieste like this.
  23. Bardan_Jusik

Dec 14, 2009
    There can still be only one!

Vehn and Trieste like this.
  24. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    As the years have progressed, I have found that writing the season awards post gets progressively harder and harder to keep fresh. Does it make any difference to folks if the announcement of the awards winners is in headline form or narrative form?

25. Bardan_Jusik

Dec 14, 2009
    Headline works for me if it makes it easier for you.

Jedi Gunny and Runjedirun like this.