main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

OOC Out of Bounds (The ELL OOC Thread)

Discussion in 'Role Playing Resource' started by Trieste, Sep 2, 2012.

1. Trieste

Trieste Chosen One star 6

Apr 10, 2010
    Wow, some of those are super surprising! KMI, UTA, OSU, CAMU, DTU--those I could probably have guessed. However, I am gobsmacked that Csilla, GVSU, Cloud City, and Dac State have multiple appearances.

Since I haven't looked and crunched the numbers, do larger conferences make the final more?

Bardan_Jusik likes this.
  2. Bardan_Jusik

Bardan_Jusik Former Manager star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2009
    If by larger conferences you mean the Power Five...

He means the Power Five. :p

...then, yes actually, though there is no reason this should be the case, the results are actually rather astounding. We've been running Conference Championship games since 293 and the results...

• 298: Both finalists came from a Power 5 Conference.
    • 297: Both finalists came from a Power 5 Conference.
    • 296: Both finalists came from a Power 5 Conference.
    • 295: One finalist came from a Power 5 Conference
    • 294: Both finalists came from a Power 5 Conference.
    • 293: Both finalists came from a Power 5 Conference.

Now what I find interesting, and I haven't looked back any farther than this, but 292, the final year before Conference expansion (Only the Rim20 and S16 had title games for this and previous seasons), neither finalist came from what we now now as a Power 5 conference, it was Tiarest (the eventual champion) and Csilla, a team that is obviously playoff "royalty", but comes from a non power five school. Seems to really make the case for those smaller conferences to expand, though like I said, OOG there is no reason this should be the case and I expect it will even out as time goes on.

Edit: As to actual champions, all of them (since 293) have been from a Power Five conference since the introduction of Conference championship games for the Power 5. The one year where a non Power Five team made it that far, the Power Five team (CA&M) won the title.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2020
    Trieste likes this.
  3. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    Are all the Power Five conferences 12 teams or larger? (Because once again I am too lazy to look for myself. :p)

Quick snap prompt for everyone: I realized this morning that we are increasingly telling stories outside of the ELL. I think this is cool, but the season awards have for purposes of realism largely been focused on the ELL. I'd like these awards to complement our storytelling rather than only reward certain storytelling. I'm considering rethinking the season awards, effective this season, as the Limmie Honors. This could be as simple as making people from across all levels of limmie eligible for all awards. It could be throwing out the traditional categories and doing something else. What's your thoughts? (Note: I'd like to get the ballot for whatever we do this season out tomorrow.)

Bardan_Jusik likes this.
  4. Bardan_Jusik

Dec 14, 2009
    Yup, the Power 5 are the conferences of 12 teams or more. Bak10 and Oktos-10 (O10) are the next two largest conferences at 10 teams each while the Chiss Athletic Association has eight and then they get even fewer from there.

• Kashyyyk Associated Athletic Conf (KAAC): Five teams
    • Veragi League: Five teams
    • Coruscant Collegiate Limmie League: Four teams

My favorite is the Rim10 which has 12 teams. :p I do sometimes wonder, and this brings the issue back to the forefront of my mind, if those smaller leagues should perhaps expand, not to full Power 5 levels, but to at least eight or ten teams themselves just to make things more interesting.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2020
  5. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    To be fair, I did create the CCLL there as a second-tier of Coruscant Universities and Colleges (under the Super 16 schools, so something like the MAC), but never fully fleshed-out the entire conference. I assumed that we would have unnamed schools also in there, but that was back in something like 2013 or so (long before we ever started playing college ball full-time like this). I've always assumed the others had similar layouts.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2020
    jcgoble3 and Trieste like this.
  6. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    Yes, there are only two nominees in some categories for this year's season awards. Yes, some of these nominees may not make sense.

This is what happens when nobody sends me any nominations. :p However, I am strongly considering opening up the criteria for who is eligible to facilitate the game starting next season, as I mentioned earlier (but no one gave an opinion on). I think it facilitates fun times even if it's not realistic that the ELL would allow nominees from non-ELL entities. I decided against making that change now when my player character could benefit from it on short notice. ;)

7. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    Him? A broadcaster? That is going to be a riot! I'm laughing already! [face_laugh][face_rofl]

Trieste and Bardan_Jusik like this.
  8. SWNerd11

SWNerd11 Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 19, 2017
    [​IMG]

Sent from my comlink using Tapatalk

Last edited: Aug 12, 2020
    Trieste likes this.
  9. Bardan_Jusik

Dec 14, 2009
    I eagerly await the day he challenges the Rancor Pitt crew to a dance off. :p

Trieste likes this.
  10. SWNerd11

Dec 19, 2017
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 13, 2020
    Bardan_Jusik and Trieste like this.
  11. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    The revelation that Jason Bateman was in Dodgeball may result in some required watching for me in preparation for this season. [face_laugh]

Bardan_Jusik likes this.
  12. SWNerd11

Dec 19, 2017
    I might need to call dibs on Cotton and Pepper

13. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    Bardan_Jusik likes this.
  14. Runjedirun

Runjedirun Force Ghost star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    very glad you mentioned that, I never saw the original link to vote. I have now voted :)

Trieste likes this.
  15. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    Voted, and you can be very sure that it was impartial because I had no nominees this year. :p But yes, I did have that coming for not posting this season, so I don't mind.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2020
    Trieste likes this.
  16. galactic-vagabond422

galactic-vagabond422 Force Ghost star 4

Jul 11, 2009
  17. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
  18. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
  19. galactic-vagabond422

Jul 11, 2009
    Don't worry I've been spelling it wrong this whole season...these past few weeks have been a mess for me so I didn't even notice.

Bardan_Jusik and Trieste like this.
  20. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    I hereby TAG myself seeing as it's Sky Captains v. Sandskimmers. :D

Runjedirun likes this.
  21. Bardan_Jusik

Dec 14, 2009
    Congrats to @Jedi Gunny and the Coruscant Senators on finally breaking through that long Galactic Cup title drought! I'll be getting to work here soon on the next college season. I am going to be expanding the ranks there a little bit by adding Geonosis Central College to the Veragi League while also adding some schools to the Coruscant Collegiate Limmie League (CCLL) and Kashyyyk Associated Athletic Conf (KAAC) to bring them up to eight schools each. That will make them a little more realistic as competive conferences while still leaving plenty of room for expansion for them as the game moves forward.

Vehn, SWNerd11, Jedi Gunny and 2 others like this.
  22. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    Oh man, this has been a long time coming. I'm not really sure what to think at this point . . . it's been a long ride for sure.

Thank you to everyone for putting up with me and my weird stories all these years (and my relative absence the last few seasons). It means a lot.

Vehn, Trieste, jcgoble3 and 2 others like this.
  23. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
  24. galactic-vagabond422

Jul 11, 2009
    Thank you, and just in case any of you were curious yes my colors are Pirate colors. Have to rep my team.

25. Bardan_Jusik

Dec 14, 2009
    I hate those guys.