main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

OOC Out of Bounds (The ELL OOC Thread)

Discussion in 'Role Playing Resource' started by Trieste, Sep 2, 2012.

1. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    I look forward to seeing how badly Aisa was confused. :D :D

Trieste likes this.
  2. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    Hosting the 150th Final! I look forward to seeing what I can do with this.

Coincidentally, I will be away backpacking on Saturday and Sunday, probably without internet access for most of the time, so I'll be late to see the Final score (depending on when we get back to the van on Sunday afternoon) and won't be able to post the reaction until Monday or Tuesday next week.

Trieste likes this.
  3. Trieste

Trieste Chosen One star 6

Apr 10, 2010
    That dovetails well with a few announcements for folks!
    • The bonus potential rules state that teams are only eligible in the playoffs if they post in at least half the regular season games. The Officers are the only Final team that can receive bonus potential. (But it would be fun to see a post from the Mercs all the same.)
    • As previously announced, next season will take place in a new thread. This thread will be open until October 24, 2022, for posts. On that day I'll request an RPF mod lock the thread. (The new thread will be open by then.) If you want to make a farewell post to our trusty main thread, do so by then.
    • There's another good chance that the Final score will not be posted until October 17, 2022. It's another one of those weekends. ;)

Lady_Belligerent and jcgoble3 like this.
  4. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    I suppose the GCAA doesn't have any amateurism rules, then? ;)

Whatever college lands her is going to get a star. Other college players only have high school experience when they come in, maybe elite youth league experience. Aisa has Elite with a capital E experience.

Trieste likes this.
  5. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    Lalalalalalalalalalalalalala, I'm not listening to really valid points that I didn't think about until now, lalalalalalalalalalala.

[face_rofl]

jcgoble3 likes this.
  6. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    I mean, I think college athletes (excuse me, "student"-athletes) at that level ought to be paid a salary anyway (and not just NIL deals), so please feel free to start the revolution. :D

Last edited: Oct 11, 2022
    Trieste likes this.
  7. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    The last thing Kerry Trieste needs is a good idea she can turn into a cause. [face_laugh]

I'm kicking around character concepts for next season. That could be on the list now!

jcgoble3 likes this.
  8. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    A new era of ELL has begun. Visit the 307 season thread. If you're returning with the same character that you used in 306, you are pre-approved to post that character. The thread includes details for participation cutoffs. I will be strict about it this season. You've been warned. :)

Lady_Belligerent and jcgoble3 like this.
  9. Lady_Belligerent

Lady_Belligerent Queen of the RPF, SWC, C&P, and Pancakes & Waffles star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 29, 2008
    Eeek! I’m super excited!

Trieste likes this.
  10. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    As am I. I'm really interested to see who a new thread pulls in. :D

Lady_Belligerent likes this.
  11. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    I'm in. To avoid scaring people away with a massive bio, I summarized and condensed some stuff from my previously approved character sheet and removed the links. The full version with links is still in the library thread in its usual place, and both versions have been updated at the end for the events of the past two seasons.

Vehn, Trieste and Lady_Belligerent like this.
  12. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    ELL is a scare-free zone. We learned the lessons of Monsters Inc. [face_laugh]

13. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    Let that post be notice that anyone is welcome to start establishing posts on their characters and teams. More to come from me on that front. ;)

14. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    I've been assisting a few teams with making their team sheets these days. It reminds me of how onerous it is to have to fill 15 slots in a team sheet.

I'm not suggesting changing this for this season, but here's a wild idea: what if in 308 we changed the game to use the limmie 8s roster? 1 goalkeeper, 3 defenders, 1 midfielder, 3 forwards. It would cut the team sheet creation in almost half and might make the game more accessible to new players. It could also make writing easier. I ignore half of my roster as it is!

15. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    I like the idea. Now that I think about it, 30 players on the field would be awfully crowded when the ball is close to the goal. Compare it to soccer, and then consider that limmie is full contact with tackling and everything, which only brings the players even closer together on the field. Personally I feel that we (all of us) write the offensive attacks as mostly one-on-one battles when realistically it would be much more of a scrum. Doing limmie eights would make the way we write game action much more realistic IMO, without even having to change the way we write it.

Am I making sense here or am I off base?

Trieste and Tay Neir like this.
  16. Taylor Neir

Taylor Neir Jedi Master star 4

May 26, 2022
    You make sense

jcgoble3 likes this.
  17. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    Great point! I don't think everyone's right by the goal (the opposing defenders are probably playing off a bit to keep from getting caught too deep), but I hadn't thought about the tackling!

If I hadn't gotten all these team sheets going, I'd consider making the adjustment for this season. However, I'll let things stand since most people have their sheets all set and think about it for next season. Iterative improvements are good. ;)

Tay Neir and jcgoble3 like this.
  18. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    Looking at the post for the 307 season in the library thread and the team colors, I think we're all going for gold in 307. [face_laugh]

Because, of course, the Galactic Cup is silver. [face_rofl]

jcgoble3 and Tay Neir like this.
  19. galactic-vagabond422

galactic-vagabond422 Force Ghost star 4

Jul 11, 2009
    While this is fair and accurate I feel like we'd lose out on the team feeling like a big family, and having a bunch of characters to bounce off each other is fun...but I know I've rarely used the full 30 beings on the team to their fullest. But I did like the option. The Limmie 8s is likely the better choice but, I will have whistful nostalgia for the days we had big teams and lots of characters.

Tay Neir, Trieste, Vehn and 1 other person like this.
  20. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    Something to think about if we make the change (though it shouldn't in any way prevent it) is the in-character repercussions of suddenly cutting team rosters in half and suddenly releasing half of the players to free agency.

Does this cause several new, perhaps NPC, teams to join the league and pick up the cast-offs?

Do they mostly end up on Premier League rosters?

What does the players' union have to say about this? (We've established in the past that there is a players' union, but that they are pretty weak -- I think because @Trieste is still upset about the NHL's lost season in 2004-05. ;) But even a weak union would almost certainly raise hell over such a move.)

Trieste and galactic-vagabond422 like this.
  21. Lady_Belligerent

Lady_Belligerent Queen of the RPF, SWC, C&P, and Pancakes & Waffles star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 29, 2008
    Ugh. You really brought up the 04-05 NHL season? :_|

I still have No Lockout! merch somewhere. :p

Last edited: Nov 1, 2022
    Trieste, Vehn and jcgoble3 like this.
  22. galactic-vagabond422

galactic-vagabond422 Force Ghost star 4

Jul 11, 2009
    A thing I could see happening is an alternative league getting started up that holds to the 15 a side rules call it Silver Rules Limmie (For an Aussie Rules Football bent) or Galactic Limmie League (to cause confusion).

Trieste, Vehn and jcgoble3 like this.
  23. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    To be clear, that lockout was the owners' fault, not the player's. ;)

This is a good conversation! A few thoughts:
    • I'll let this continue to percolate in my brain over the coming months.
    • If we thought going to an 8-being roster would make the game more enjoyable or easier to get into, I'd find a way to handle IC concerns. These days, I'm more interested in creating a good experience than being realistic.
    • Now that @galactic-vagabond422 mentions it, there can be a big family feel with a larger roster. It's a good point to consider!
    • Having an alternative league in the background definitely sounds like a thing that would happen!

24. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    To be precise, it would be 8 on the field at a time, but most teams would still have a full complement of backups. I would envision 16-20 players on the roster for most team. Some of us might only give names to the starting lineup (which is perfectly okay), but I generally assume that teams which only list starters in the library thread also have a roughly equal number of unnamed and unlisted reserves unless otherwise stated somewhere. I have at times listed my team with 2-4 named backups and a note of "additional backups not listed", the idea being that I only name the backups I intend to actually use in a post.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2022
    Trieste likes this.
  25. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    To be fair, Limmie 8s has already been introduced back during the 270 All-Star Game as well as my short-lived "Limmie Olympics" spin-off from about 2016 or so, so there is a precedent for it existing. As far as whether 8 or 15-player sides makes sense, 8 makes things easier, but 15 is still "Classic Mode". I know I'm not in the game anymore, but what about a neutral number such as 11 (4 forwards, 2 mids, 4 backs, 1 goalie) if there is some roster retraction?

Trieste and jcgoble3 like this.