main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

**Over 30 Writers Club ***

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Over_30_Writers_Club, Aug 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cdmcc

cdmcc Jedi Master star 4

Apr 24, 2005
    Oooh, I would normally say Han but I don't like the way he changes in ROTJ. In the extras on the SW box set, HF talks about how he thought Han should have died. I kinda agree. it felt rushed.

Although Luke is the obvious one, I'll go for Vadey. He goes from Force choking monster robot to man in a suit with a mission to fulfil the prophecy.

2. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    1) Age- 42

2) How long have you been writing or reading on these boards? 2 ½ years

3) Favorite genre, saga of SW? It depends on my mood. Seriously, some days I?m crazy about the OT, and others I?m wild for the PT. I?m an equal opportunity fan. :p

4) Favorite characters and why? Vader, of course! :D He?s the best villain ever! Anywhere. For all time. No argument.

5) Why has SW always been so special to you? Well, I could give a long answer about the classic struggle between good and evil, but really, it?s just because I think Jedi are sexy. Oh, and certain Sith Lords that wear helmets and walk around like a bear with a sore paw. Actually, I think Vader just needed a hug.

6) Favorite tips or advise for writing. Write for yourself first, and never stop writing. Also, if you ask for advice, listen to what is said. If someone takes the time to give you constructive criticism ? ESPECIALLY if you?ve asked for it ? do them the courtesy of taking it to heart. You?ll usually learn something valuable.

3. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    ~~Which character do you think went through the most changes through the 3 OT movies? How did this character develop?~~

Luke, Luke, Luke. The kid, whiny and bored and confused, went through hell and back and came out the other side, a Jedi Knight. Calm, collected, firm in his ideals and convinced in the goodness of others, he was wonderful. [face_love]

4. leiamoody

leiamoody Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2005
    Which character do you think went through the most changes through the 3 OT movies? How did this character develop?

All the serious answers were taken, so I'm going for the silly one...:p

Threepio, because he went from being naked in the first movie, to wearing pewter in the second, to all gold in the third, to gold with that one peculiar silver leg in the OT. (I had to go past the parameters of the OT for this, of course, but it's not supposed to make sense ;)).

5. Jedi-2B

Jedi-2B Jedi Master star 4

Nov 2, 2000
    Which character do you think went through the most changes through the 3 OT movies? How did this character develop?

This is a hard one! My first thought was Luke. Okay, my first thought is always Luke, no matter the question. LOL! Whiny naive farmboy to Jedi Knight. Then Han came to mind: brash mercenary to caring lover and leader. But really, Han had those qualities all along; it just took the others to bring them to the surface.

Leia could be a candidate -- Ice Princess to Han's girlfriend. ;)

Then someone mentioned Vader, and I thought, duh! Of course Vader went thru the most changes. Force-choking monster to loving father who doesn't look anything like Hayden Christianson until he becomes a Force-ghost. Unless you're watching the original Original Trilogy RotJ. So I think my vote is for Anakin/Vader, who not only goes through spiritual personality changes, but also physical appearance changes.

Perhaps you should've asked who went through the least changes. Then I would have to say ... R2D2. :p

6. obsessedwithSW

obsessedwithSW Jedi Master star 4

May 24, 2005
    Question, at what age do you stop admitting your age?

I turned 39 today and told my husband this is the last birthday. From now on, every year I am 39!

7. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Weird, looks like my post from last night didn't go through.

I'd agree with Diane on the The kid, whiny and bored and confused, went through hell and back and came out the other side, a Jedi Knight.

But now, thinking about it more, he did have the help of the Force as most people didn't, and Force ghosties as well.

Perhaps in might be Han who changed more. Selfish, self-centered rogue and smuggler to Rebel Alliance General, all without the aid of the Force. ;) :p

Edit: at what age do you stop admitting your age?

Probably for me never. I spent too much time getting to be 47 and am pretty damn proud of the fact. :D :D

8. Princess Cambria

Princess Cambria Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2006

I think mentally, Luke changed the most. He started out that naive' farmboy in ANH and grew to be the confident Jedi Knight we see in ROTJ. I think Han just improved on what he already had.;)[face_love]

Also, I think physically, C3PO changed the most. He went from his 'nakedness' in TPM to his 'golden royalness' in ROTJ. (I know...I stretched the question a bit.):D

Happy Birthday, obsessedwithSW![face_whistling]

When I turned 40, I stopped having birthdays...instead my kids get to share a extra birthday party each year. I guess I should have thought of that when I was 39, so I could still be in the thirty-something club. :p

9. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002

I haven't stopped yet and I'm 55. I did, however, refuse to celebrate when I turned 50.

10. Golden_Jedi

Golden_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 10, 2005

All of them change, except Artoo, but I think the one that goes through the widest range is Luke. Farmboy/hero/Rogue leader/padawan/rebellious padawan/conflicted guy/jedi/friend/brother/son

I like the Rogue leader stage very much. :D

I haven't. It's too funny to watch the faces people do when I tell them my age. Nobody can believe it, and I find consolation in that. :p

11. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    Hi, I just saw this thread. I thought I would stop by and join the discussion.

1) Age- I will turn 43 next week.

2) How long have you been writing or reading on these boards?
    About a year or two.

3) Favorite genre, saga of SW?
    After the Saga. I am a L/M 'shipper.

4) Favorite characters and why?
    Luke and Mara. I loved TTT and once I started reading fanfiction I fell in love with L/M 'romance' fics.

5) Why has SW always been so special to you?
    When I was a teenager I went and saw ANH and I decided then and there that I wanted to live a life of adventure. I left home at 17 and did a lot of exciting stuff and traveled to over 20 countries. I think if it wasn't for Star Wars I would have just stayed home and went to community college (not that there is anything wrong with that, but it is not adventurous).

6) Favorite tips or advise for writing.
    Get a good beta or more than one. If it wasn't for RedGold and Jedi_Trace I don't know what I would have done.

I think Luke changed the most. From naive farmboy to pilot to Jedi Knight. His character developed as I would expect. He not only matured with age, but he had become battle tested through intense combat. That will change a man.

What is your all time favorite scene in any SW movie and why?

I have always loved the kiss scene between Leia and Han on the Falcon. I also liked the scene where they kissed before he was dunked in carbonite. I have always like the romance aspect of SW... even though there is very little of it.

Which OT movie (A New Hope, Empire Strikes Back or Return of the Jedi) is your favorite? Why?

I always like ESB. It is sort of of a dark movie with a lot of suspence, plus it has some of the only kissing scenes of the trilogy. I am a sucker for romance.

I don't know, there are good things about every age. I am not embarrassed about being in my 40's, so I don't lie about my age. But I don't announce it to everybody... that is my son's job. :rolleyes:

JL

12. Jedi Trace

Jedi Trace Former RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 15, 1999
    Which OT movie (A New Hope, Empire Strikes Back or Return of the Jedi) is your favorite? Why?

I can?t pick one favorite. [face_blush]

ANH: For sentimental reasons?and Farmboy Luke.

TESB: Sweaty Luke on Dagobah. Sweaty Luke fighting Vader. Irritable Vader kicking *** and taking names. And, of course, ?I am your father.?

ROTJ: Jedi Luke and Did-what-could-?never?-be-done Vader.

For the Original Trilogy, I?ll go with a tie between Luke and Leia.

Luke: For all the reasons everyone has already said.

Leia: Went from a cocky, self-important Princess to a strong and compassionate leader.

13. leiamoody

leiamoody Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2005

Never admit your age. Simply say, "I'm either alive, dead, or on hold."

14. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    Actually, I have no problem at all admitting my age. And I've NEVER shaved a few years off. Why? Because I'd much rather people thought I looked good for my age than think "That poor woman, she's only 35 and looks as if she's 45!" So actually, I might be tempted to add years. :p Although, yes, I AM 42.

15. oqidaun

oqidaun Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2005
    It's just a number. :D Alright, I'll admit 30 was hard for me, but I got over it when I turned 31. :p
    Of course I showed my age this morning when I woke up with the "3-2-1 Contact" theme song in my head. Damn that was a catchy tune.

16. correllian_ale

correllian_ale Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 20, 2005
    *shakes fist angrily*
    Curse you oqi! Somehow that's triggered the pacman-esque "mathman" to gobble through numbers in my head!!!

I don't mind admitting my age, out of all my friends, and brothers I'm the oldest by a year or two; but I am the shortest and look the youngest. :D
    I still get carded at thirty one(twoish) - especially (and surprisingly) when I'm clean shaven and wearing my "shirt n' tie" ensemble. *shrugs*

17. Over_30_Writers_Club

Over_30_Writers_Club Jedi Knight star 1

Aug 11, 2006
    Here's a new topic for you to ponder...

[face_idea]NEW DISCUSSION TOPIC[face_idea] August 28, 2006

~~Do you think Obi-Wan should not have been ?killed? so soon in ANH? How would this have affected the rest of the story?~~

Enjoy!

18. WyoJedi

WyoJedi Jedi Youngling star 4

Nov 7, 2005
    ~~Do you think Obi-Wan should not have been ?killed? so soon in ANH? How would this have affected the rest of the story?~~

I think Obi-Wan's "death" worked perfectly for that film. That event was really the catalyst to jump start Luke's destiny. It was a classic plot device... think Gandalf's "demise" in Lord of the Rings. Sometimes it is necessary for the mentor to be removed so that the hero can unlock hidden potential.

Sure, if Ben had lived he could have been a great guide for Luke. But I think if that were the case the story would not have been as focused on Luke and his destiny to redeem Anakin... Obi-Wan would have stolen some of the thunder.

In dying Obi-Wan truly became more powerful than Vader could imagine... and that power was manifested in the changes within Luke.

Cheers,
    Wyo

19. Jade_Pilot

Jade_Pilot Jedi Master star 5

Dec 10, 2005
    Nicely said Wyo...BUT, I think Ben's demise was much too early. For one thing Alec Guiness is an extraordinary actor and was just not used enough IMHO. I think he should have survived the encounter with Vader and go on to Hoth.

I would've liked to seem him save Luke from the Wampa (big furry bumble creature) but suffer mortal wounds in the process so that his dying words would've been..."Go to dagobah... *cough*... train with Yoda...*cough*...I love you Lu......ahhhh....."

I just think it would've played out better and given more weight to the affection Luke had for him. Luke is all broken up about Ben dying, but I felt like the relationship was not long enough for Luke to have such strong feelings for him. Just a minor pet peeve of mine in the plot. And yes, I know it doesn't always take time for a strong relationship to form, but this has always bugged me a little.

20. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000

I remember one of the first times I saw ANH and being shocked at the point Vader killed Obi-Wan. More so because it seemed such a planned thing for Obi-Wan to do with his look at Luke and then what seemed like obvious decision at that point to allow himself to be killed.

Then with each movie, I actually didn't care for the character at all. IMHO, it seemed far to much that all he wanted of young and impressionable Luke was to fight Vader and kill him. I thought he was too manipulative and had oftened wonder if he allowed himself to die in order to knowingly continue his own agenda.

After seeing the PT, I felt a bit more compassion for Obi-Wan and could see more how Wyo's comments were correct and it was really an old plot device used.

21. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004

You know, I never once thought Lucas should have let Obi-Wan live. So I guess his death fit the story pretty well. And it wasn't like we didn't see him again. Of course, I really think he should have shown up on Hoth as a Force Ghost when Leia was kissing Luke! :eek: He could have given Luke a heads-up that they were siblings. [face_worried]

JL

22. Flowerlady

Flowerlady Jedi Master star 4

Dec 14, 2005

I agree with Wyo...I think Obi had to die for Luke to move on...Sure he could have taught Luke more about the Jedi, which may have solved a lot of his later growing pains with the order. Obi could have mentored him even more than Yoda did. But that would have taken away from the story. Luke needed to find his own place. He had to be the one to stop the Sith and redeem his father and he had to be the one to rebuild the Jedi from the ground up. If either Obi-wan or even Yoda would have lived longer, Luke's New Order would have never happened...It would have just been a recreation of the Old.

FL @};-

23. jaynasolofel

jaynasolofel Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 26, 2003
    My apologies for the volume of text to follow....

Over 30 Writers Club
    Cool!

Age- (This is optional, but do remember you are in good company here.)
    The little counter in my profile clicked up to 35 on Sunday.

How long have you been writing or reading on these boards?
    Reading since June of 2003 and I am not really a writer. I posted a challenge entry in Sept ?04, and then it took me over a year to do it again. This summer I started a ?thread? for the first time.

Favorite genre, saga of SW?
    Mush and angst or even better, mushy angst with a little action and intrigue on the side. My favorite stories are character driven with enough plot to bring out all the finer points of characters and their relationships.

I am a Beyond Girl.

Favorite characters and why?
    Five years ago, the answer would have been Han & Leia, but now it is Jaina & Jag? and I suspect it is for the same reasons, since I believe the two couplings are mirrors of each other.

Han/Jaina ? Use devices like humor and apathy to distance them from pain associated with attachment and loss. But under it all, they are lonely souls craving, as much love as they have to give in return, even if they believe they do not deserve love.

Leia/Jag ? Fell, sorry, maybe I should say 'born' into immense responsibility/duty at a young age, commanding a squadron or representing a government in their mid teens. While both have been successful and are committed leaders, I believe they harbor hidden desires for freedom. But at what cost to those they lead?

*waiting on Legacy comics for further evidence*

Why has SW always been so special to you?
    Thanks for this question, I never thought about it but I guess as a kid, like Leia, I was trying to 'survive' in a world of boys (I had five older brothers).

But the real love of SW came later, when I was introduced to EU novels and watched the OT post-EU eyes. I was a newlywed reading that Han & Leia get married, have kids AND still lead the galaxy, save lives, travel... some of you are familiar with my ?marriage is not the end? rant, so I will leave it.

The EU satisfies my need to know what happens after the last page of a book or the credits roll. I love epilogues ? I read them first and this is one wicked awesome epilogue!

Favorite tips or advice for writing.
    I am not experienced enough to give advice for writing, but as an avid reader I can tell you what I admire most in a writer; one who gives readers the credit to understand or figure out plots without over-explanation. And one who doesn't toy with readers too much (i.e. Jag & Jaina in profic, enough, do or do not already) ? ?do? please.

~~What is your all time favorite scene from any SW movie and why?~~
    Han & Leia?s escape from Hoth; the humor, Han?s cockiness, Leia?s struggle with her feelings for someone she thinks is wrong for her, the Falcon slipping away just as Vader enters the hangar.

~~Which OT movie is your favorite? Why?~~
    ESB ? Han and Leia, Hoth, Luke has a daddy, Cloud City, Yoda?s training. But it is sometimes too close to call with RotJ ? Tatooine, Anakin?s return, the underdogs triumph, Endor - I love the planets in Star Wars films.

~~Which character do you think went through the most changes through the 3 OT movies? How did this character develop?~~
    Chewbacca? Well Han, Luke and Vader? and also Leia; she grows up, maybe at too expensive a cost. I think she discovers the individuals within the cause she is fighting for.

Obi-Wan was killed in ANH? I thought I saw him in all three movies? It works because him appearing to Luke as he does gives him even greater power and provides greater proof to the existence of the Force & the Jedi.

Thanks for this club.

jaYna

24. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005

After all, Obi-Wan was on a preview or herald of Luke's training with Yoda. His early death needed to happen.

I liked Alec Guiness' Obi-Wan. I would have liked to see him stick around longer. But in what capacity, I don't know.

I'm going to agree with dianethx and say that Luke went through the most changes. His maturity level changes in each film as he grow in wisdom and experience.

However, Leia changes in ech film as well. She is saucy and defiant in ANH, cold and remote in ESB, and strong, yet mellow in ROTJ.

Han, is interesting case. I know Ford as his own opinion about this, but he is partially right. Solo's edge disappears as his love for Leia grows. I didn't mind so much, but I know some do.

Artoo Deetoo and Cee Three Pee Oh are basically the same throughout!

25. Princess Cambria

Princess Cambria Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2006
    Just wanted to offer up a silent prayer for my co-host Jade_Pilot as she weathers TS Darth Ernesto. [face_praying]

May the force be with her and her family. [:D]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.