main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

**Over 30 Writers Club ***

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Over_30_Writers_Club, Aug 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    I'll second that, cambria! I pray that they are safe as well.

2. WyoJedi

WyoJedi Jedi Youngling star 4

Nov 7, 2005
    I also add in my hopes that all will be well with JP and her family. Weather (huge pun intended) the storm well sis!

Cheers,
    Wyo

3. Jade_Pilot

Jade_Pilot Jedi Master star 5

Dec 10, 2005
    Thanks y'all for your prayers and warm wishes. We are doing well! Ernesto is down to a tropical depression and we are getting some rain and wind. So far we have not lost power (PTL) and I am still able to use my lap top.

You guys are the best! [:D]

4. academygrad88

academygrad88 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 6, 2004
    Good to hear that JP!! We had some freak storm in Virginia yesterday with tornado watches and high winds. That is always scary.

AG88

5. Jedi-2B

Jedi-2B Jedi Master star 4

Nov 2, 2000
    Good to hear you're weathering Ernesto okay, JadePilot. :D

Do you think Obi-Wan should not have been ?killed? so soon in ANH? How would this have affected the rest of the story?

I have to agree that Luke seem to have overreacted to the death of someone he'd only known a few days. I always like to think it took them longer to get to Alderaan than what we see on-screen, so perhaps Obi-Wan did have more time to be a mentor to Luke. In that case, his death probably did come at an appropriate time. Obi-Wan needed to face Vader again, and Luke needed the real-world experience he gained being in the Rebellion before starting Jedi training.

6. hyperspace_police

hyperspace_police Jedi Master star 4

Jun 22, 2005
    ~~Do you think Obi-Wan should not have been ?killed? so soon in ANH? How would this have affected the rest of the story?~~

I think I read somewhere once that Obi-Wan wasn't supposed to die in New Hope? Don't know where.
    I agree with whoever it was that said that there was probably Obi/Luke bonding that we didn't get to see in the film. (There's a plot bunny waiting to bite at the old ankles)

For the purpose of moving the story forward...Obi had to die (or become one with the Force). I've always wondered if Obi-Wan thought he could take Vader. I would have liked to have seen more of the relationship between Luke and Obi-Wan than we were given, but I guess thats what the prequels were for.

It worked for me if you have the assumption in the back of your mind that they had spent more time together than what we saw on screen.

But, thats only my humble opinion.

Now I have to go deal with this plot bunny before it starts humping and reproduces at a rate that I cannot handle...(you know how bunnies breed.)

7. lazykbys_left

lazykbys_left Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 17, 2005
    hyperspace_police: I think I read somewhere once that Obi-Wan wasn't supposed to die in New Hope?

I remember reading it somewhere, too. However, Obi-Wan's role after the Death Star escape was basically sitting on the sidelines with a pair of pom-poms. Lucas decided it was better, dramatically speaking anyway, to get rid of him.

. . . at least, that's what I read. Or heard. Or something.

- lazy

8. Jade_Pilot

Dec 10, 2005
    I just would've liked to have seen more interaction between Ben and Luke before he had to go and be "one with the Force." Ben was shaping up to be the father Luke never had and although the films and EU play on that, I don't think they established it well in ANH.

I wouldv'e liked Ben to live longer and Vader to have the opportunity to become jealous of their relationship like I've seen done so well in many AU fan fics. I know I'm in the minority, but I have high hopes for the rest of you! ;)

*Side note: we 'weathered' the storm well! Thank so much for your prayers and good wishes!

Bus 57 for being one with the Force now boarding....

Yeah I have a strange sense of humor...just ask Wyo.

9. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Can't cite the source, but if Obi-Wan had lived, who would have needed a young untrained Luke? So Lucas decided to kill Obi-Wan and have his "future role" given to a new character - Yoda.

In most stories, the wise mentor guiding the young hero always dies & leaves the hero to face adversity on his own.

I shall try to find the citation and edit to include.

So, should Obi-Wan have died? It would have been a wonderful story if Obi-Wan had lived & mentored Luke, then be unable to be at the conclusion due to some writers intervention (i.e., not death) - oh, did I plot bunny myself?

For drama purposes it did serve well for Obi-Wan to die in ANH, and yes, I think there was a lot of time for bonding we didn't see. Time compression - movies are full of it. Did I read once that Empire might have spanned 18 months or so?

10. WyoJedi

Nov 7, 2005
    Yep... she has a strange sense of humor all right. About as strange as Ben surviving longer in ANH. Did I just say that out loud? :p

But I do understand your stance JP. It would have been nice to see more interaction between those two. I still think that his death worked for the best though.

Cheers,
    Wyo

11. Jade_Pilot

Dec 10, 2005

A death working out for the best? Careful, dear brother...you're sounding very Sith all of a sudden! ;)

12. WyoJedi

Nov 7, 2005
    [face_devil] [face_whistling] Who? Me?

Cheers,
    Wyo

13. Over_30_Writers_Club

Over_30_Writers_Club Jedi Knight star 1

Aug 11, 2006
    [face_thinking]SEPTEMBER WRITING CHALLENGE[face_thinking]

~~Write a story about a SW character, reflecting back on their life experiences that have made them who they are today. Choose a character who perhaps wouldn't be your first choice. Stretch yourself. Delve into their most inner thoughts, fears, desires, goals, etc. Make it sad or happy or funny or all...that's your choice too. Most of all...have fun with this as a writer.~~

*Please use the following index for all challenge responses:

Title:
    Author:
    Timeframe:
    Characters:
    Genre:
    Summary:
    Notes: (Please make a note that this is for the Over 30 SW Writers Club Challenge)
    Disclaimer:

*Make sure to post a link to your story in Over 30 SW Writers Club thread after posting your story in the appropriate era.

[face_dancing] Thank you for participating in our first ever writing challenge! [face_dancing]

14. leiamoody

leiamoody Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2005
    Could I count the 65 page story I just got finished that happens to deal with this theme with a character who wasn't a conscious first choice as a response? :p

Sorry, theme looks familiar. Self-examination must be in the air or something. Must be all that rain. ;)

Seriously, this looks good. It never hurts to reflect. Mayhaps I could whip up a mini sequel viggie (does that kind of thing even exist?)

15. Princess Cambria

Princess Cambria Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2006
    I think if your story fits the parameters of the challenge, then please use it.[face_dancing]

Just remember to post a link in this thread so we know where to read and enjoy it.

Why not whip up a mini sequel viggie too. It's all about having fun with our writing!:)

16. ValedaKor

ValedaKor Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 25, 2000
    FIRST thing to do is introduce yourself by answering a few painless questions:

I've been meaning to do this for a long while... finally the voice said, "it's time."

1) Age- (This is optional, but do remember you are in good company here.)

55 Yes, I was there in '77 LOL. Most of the time when I'm around the "kids" in my FF I feel like Mr. Peabody :).

2) How long have you been writing or reading on these boards?

I've been lurking for a long time; used to post, way back in the day. Haven't felt competent enough to jump in lately, though.

3) Favorite genre, saga of SW?

Writing-wise, I'm strictly a prequel fan. Watching and reading, it's everything. The EU is my friend <g>. Sorry to see that lately, via Del Rey, it's taking a wrong turn, IMO. OK, end of sermon LOL.

4) Favorite characters and why?

Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan -- because they lend themselves to fictional characterizations that are extremely diverse and interesting to read.

5) Why has SW always been so special to you?

I'm very much into cultural phenomenon -- and boy, SW fits the bill. I like to think back and remember what it felt like in 1977 (in that "no cell phones no internet no instant communication" era) to be a part of something that the whole world was responding to. I also appreciate that it has brought me into a circle of friends that share a happy, common interest.

Finally...

6) Favorite tips or advise for writing.

Hmmmm... just do it? Yeah, I know, cliche time. OK, let's get serious. Keep that notebook handy for when a idea pops into your head. Show, don't tell (at least most of the time; telling can be - very - effective). Finally, the GFFA is so diverse, there's a story there for "you" to write. Have fun with it!

17. Half-Pint

Half-Pint Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 3, 2005
    Hi Everyone!

I used to be Sologirl on this site, but changed to HalfPint about a year ago. This is the pen name I am writing with from now on. It is great to meet everyone!

Soooo.... my stats:

1) Age- 34

2) How long have you been writing or reading on these boards? About 2-3 years, but still lurk from time to time.

3) Favorite genre, saga of SW? I ablsolutely love the Beyond the Saga Forums. I love to write anything Han and Leia, so this is where I belong! I do sometimes venture into the Saga Boards and have a story there I stopped writing some time ago (Under Sologirl). One day I am planning on getting to it. Right now I am most interested in Challenges to get me writing again!

4) Favorite characters and why?

Ummmm... Han Solo, and the reasons are obvious :) Who wouldn't want a scoundrel in her life?

5) Why has SW always been so special to you?

I saw it first with my brother in 81'. We used to watch the movies over and over again that we could almost memorize the words for the entire thing. It reminds me of growing up and spending time with him. I still remember going to the movies to see ROTJ in eager anticipation to find out how Han Solo was going to get out of the carboinite! I loved it :)

Finally...

6) Favorite tips or advise for writing.

I think if you are a seasoned writer, the key is to use the challenges to help develop your skills. If you are new, by all means, just keep on writing and POST, POST, POST. Don't be shy, or you will never get better. Besides, it is always fun for others to read your work and actually like it :) If they don't, that is okay too, just keep at it. You can only get better!

Thanks everyone! I need to think about the challenge so you will see me soon!

18. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    I've got my fingers crossed my muse wakes for this challenge. [face_good_luck]

Welcome ValedaKor and Half-Pint . :D [:D] :D [:D]

19. correllian_ale

correllian_ale Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 20, 2005
    A challenge? Wonderful...my muse escaped me, and the Lucky Charms Leprechaun does nothig for me.

Just a bit to get the juices flowing again, nothing special.

Watch the Children Grow

20. Princess Cambria

Princess Cambria Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2006
    Yippie! The first response to the challenge!! [face_dancing] [:D] :)

For all those that participate in the challenge, they will receive a complimentary gift basket full of either Jedi, Sith or assorted treats! :D

21. Over_30_Writers_Club

Over_30_Writers_Club Jedi Knight star 1

Aug 11, 2006
    Just a reminder to check out the September Writing Challenge.

[face_idea] New Topic Discussion [face_idea]

~~ Lucas Film Ltd. is releasing the Original Trilogy (unaltered version) DVD on September 12. Will you be buying it? What other versions do you have?~~

22. Jade_Pilot

Dec 10, 2005
    Oh! I didn't know this. I have the silver boxed set that has all the new stuff added to the films. For the most part, I like it except that the original music at the Ewoks camp is different. I prefered the first one.

And at the very end of ROTJ there stands Hayden as Anakin Skywalker instead of the older guy. That shocked me the firs time I saw it. I'm not sure if I'll buy this latest set. It would have to have something very different for me to plunk down money for a DVD set that I basically already have.

I'm interested in what everyone else thinks!

23. WyoJedi

Nov 7, 2005
    ~~ Lucas Film Ltd. is releasing the Original Trilogy (unaltered version) DVD on September 12. Will you be buying it? What other versions do you have?~~

This is the hot topic right now isn't it?

I want to buy the new version, but I will have to wait until after the 12th... That's my birthday and I don't know if anyone is getting them for me.

Other versions: original VHS (final release -- which we now know it wasn't), Special edition VHS, and the recently released DVD Special Edition.

Cheers,
    Wyo

24. Jedi-2B

Jedi-2B Jedi Master star 4

Nov 2, 2000

Yes, I imagine I will buy it. I have this bad habit of being a completist, thinking I have to have a complete set. This is why George Lucas is a bazillionaire.

Other versions owned -- 4 different VHS boxed set versions, plus old copies taped off TV years ago. And of course the Special Editions on DVD. Everything except the laser discs. See, it's a sickness. :p

25. TKeira_Lea

TKeira_Lea Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 10, 2002
    I seem to have a million different versions of the DVDs, VHS cassettes, and whatever other version they came out in. I must be a prime spending consumer as far as SW marketing is concerned. I don't think RotJ really does it for me unless the Ewoks are allowed to sing at the end. I get disappointed when I pull out the wrong version of that one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.