main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

**Over 30 Writers Club ***

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Over_30_Writers_Club, Aug 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jade_Pilot

Jade_Pilot Jedi Master star 5

Dec 10, 2005

[face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh] Just made me laugh to think of George sitting around thinking of how else he can get us to part with our money.

2. correllian_ale

correllian_ale Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 20, 2005
    ~~ Lucas Film Ltd. is releasing the Original Trilogy (unaltered version) DVD on September 12. Will you be buying it? What other versions do you have?~~

No, I'm not too much of a purist, I think the previous release on DVD was all I needed. And as far as the SE editions go, it was Jedi that underwent the most change with the "musical number" in Jabba's Palace, the music in the end celebration scene, the scene itself, including Christian Hayden. I think as you watch all six as a whole, the Hayden/Anakin was neccasary IMO, although it was the hottest debate topic on the SE versions.

Next year during the holiday season however, there will either be an SE TPM, or a three pack with the PT DVDs, either which will allow you to access a special "sneak peak" to the upcoming Star Wars tv shows via a Hyperspace membership(you won't be able to access it without both the price of the DVD and the cost of the club memebership) All you'll get is a 15 second promo. :p

3. RebelMom

RebelMom Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 20, 2000
    I bought the original versions on VHS years ago. Last year, I got the DVD set, not realizing that they were going to make new ones of the old ones. I won't be investing in more. I'd rather transfer the VHS to DVD myself (actually get my husband to do it when we get the right equipment.)

4. leiamoody

leiamoody Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2005
    ~~ Lucas Film Ltd. is releasing the Original Trilogy (unaltered version) DVD on September 12. Will you be buying it? What other versions do you have?~~

I might only buy the TESB two-disc set, only because I scratched up the SE version of the movie when I was trying to get it out of a malfunctioning DVD player.

As for what versions I own, the first release of the Special Edition DVD's, primarily for the documentary that came on the bonus disc. Otherwise, I would never have bought them, because I'm an OT purist. Which means I also have the unaltered versions on DVD that come from a laserdisc transfer.

5. ValedaKor

ValedaKor Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 25, 2000

Absolutely; as a collector, I'm a completist whereever possible :). As to other versions, I have some old VHS tapes around here somewhere that are probably actually the originals, also have the SE and all the other DVD editions.

6. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000

While I would love to get them, if only for the Han shoots first and the Ewoks celebration song ( I absolutely hated the one they put in it's place), I doubt I'll buy these. As I bought them when they cme ou on DVD and am not a collector, I see no need to own more than one copy.

7. MariahJade2

MariahJade2 Former Fan Fiction Archive Editor star 5 VIP

Mar 18, 2001
    I'll probably get them, as my old VHS copies won't last forever and I didn't buy the most recent release. I have the SE, and the old original widescreen on VHS which I love for the bonus tape that came with it. One of my favorite tapes is something I copied off the Sci-fi channel one night. "Thumb Wars" Hilarious! :D

8. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    I'd like to say that I won't buy them because I already have the VHS version AND the newer DVD version. But I will buy them. I know it. I'm weak. [face_blush]

9. MsLanna

MsLanna Jedi Master star 6

Jul 8, 2005
    Um, probably.
    I'll have to find the Bashers' new place and have look at their assessments. So far they were always very close to what I thought, only they had better words.
    But if the added effects are out again, and the new scenes, I'll be more than overjoyed to get them. It's been a long time since I could enjoy the movies. (About since my video recorded broke)
    I'm afraid I'm a purist.[face_blush]
    I just saw the originals too often. They got burned somewhere into my soul and whenever I see a changed thingy, something inside me does the 'headdesk'.

10. Jedi-2B

Jedi-2B Jedi Master star 4

Nov 2, 2000
    I made the mistake of getting out my Thumb Wars dvd when I was babysitting some kids a few weeks ago, and they loved it. Now they'll probably want to see it every time they come. I may go crazy.

I wish George would decide to put the old deleted scenes (Luke, Biggs, Fixer, Camie on Tatooine; Han with the girl on his lap in the cantina; the sandstorm, etc) as an extra somewhere on one of these reissued versions. That's one thing I wouldn't mind having a dvd copy of.

11. Jade_Pilot

Dec 10, 2005

Oh Wow! I would definitely pay for a copy of those. I didn't even realize those scenes were filmed. I'm currently reading 'A New Hope' and I'm just eating up all the stuff about Luke and Tatootine.

12. WyoJedi

WyoJedi Jedi Youngling star 4

Nov 7, 2005
    Those missing scenes from A New Hope are great. I have links to them if anyone is interested. Just PM me!

Cheers,
    Wyo

13. MsLanna

MsLanna Jedi Master star 6

Jul 8, 2005
    That would be a cool extra. Though last thing I heard was, that the original movies were the extras. Do they make extras for extras?o_O
    I'm all for it!:D

14. VaderLVR64

Feb 5, 2004
    Yes, I imagine I will buy it. I have this bad habit of being a completist, thinking I have to have a complete set. This is why George Lucas is a bazillionaire.

I'm with you, Jedi 2B. I can't help myself. I have to have them ALL! [face_mischief]

15. ValedaKor

ValedaKor Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 25, 2000
  16. Jade_Pilot

Dec 10, 2005
    Great challenge responses Corellian ale and ValedaKor! =D=

17. VaderLVR64

Feb 5, 2004
    I got inspired on my run and all I have to do now is edit. :p A great challenge, and I even wrote somebody I don't usually write. I took the challenge to heart. ;)

18. VaderLVR64

Feb 5, 2004
    Title: Who Would Have Guessed?
    Author: VaderLVR64
    Timeframe: Post COPL
    Characters: Han Solo, Leia, Chewie, Luke
    Genre: ?
    Summary: Han ponders the unpredictability of life.
    Notes: Over 30 SW Writers Club Challenge
    Disclaimer: It isn?t my sandbox but I like to burrow in it anyway! :p

19. Over_30_Writers_Club

Over_30_Writers_Club Jedi Knight star 1

Aug 11, 2006
    Great job, Vadey!

20. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Fabulous responses to the challenge.

Still not getting a bit, but I love reaidng those who've been inspired.

21. Princess Cambria

Princess Cambria Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2006

I'm sure my husband, being a purest, has already ordered the new DVD set. We also have all the other versions on VHS and DVD too. My motto is you can never have too much SW stuff. :D

22. VaderLVR64

Feb 5, 2004
    My motto is you can never have too much SW stuff.

HERE HERE! I agree! :p Although my husband most assuredly would NOT! I've had to "hide" all of my Unleashed toys in my closet and I have life-sized stand ups of Anakin, Obi-Wan, and Qui-Gon stashed away under our bed. [face_blush]

I've got my SW DVDs, including the Clone Wars cartoons, Beneath the Dome, and Star Wait all together on the central shelf of our DVD collection - the shelf of "HONOR" as I call it. I'm very picky about how my movies are arranged, and since we have an extensive movie collection, I have to keep on top of things. My kids like to annoy me by rearranging them - unauthorized of course! ;)

23. correllian_ale

correllian_ale Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 20, 2005
    I'm very picky about how my movies are arranged, and since we have an extensive movie collection, I have to keep on top of things. My kids like to annoy me by rearranging them - unauthorized of course!

I worked for almost ten years in both a video and cd store...I'm like an automaton and old habits kick in when I go into Best Buy and start wandering around straightening things.

I need help. :p

24. lazykbys_left

lazykbys_left Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 17, 2005
    Will you be buying [the original OT]?

That depends on three things:

One, that the Japanese release of the O-OT disc has English subtitles/language tracks. Yes, I realize that's practically a given . . . but so is anamorphic.

Two, that I finally get caught up on the NJO, which I'm buying at the leisurely pace of one book per month.

And three, that I still haven't bought the SE by then. Or the super duper ultimate deluxe This Is REALLY The Last Time George Is Tweaking The Saga, Honest box set. :p

What other versions do you have?

Er . . . I have the novelizations. And a bunch of scripts in TXT format, including the Starkiller thingy. If I ever feel the need to watch the movies, I can always hop over to the DVD rental store.

. . . y'know, the more time I spend here (i.e., the JC boards), the more I feel I exist in a weird and lonely subset of SW fandom: the non-fan who writes SW fanfics.

correllian_ale: I'm like an automaton and old habits kick in when I go into Best Buy and start wandering around straightening things.

The same thing happens to me when I go to the library.

- lazy

25. Jedi-2B

Jedi-2B Jedi Master star 4

Nov 2, 2000
    VaderLVR64: I've had to "hide" all of my Unleashed toys in my closet and I have life-sized stand ups of Anakin, Obi-Wan, and Qui-Gon stashed away under our bed.

*raises hand in sympathy* In the crawlspace under the steps. And cabinets in the basement. And the closet of the spare bedroom. And under the spare bed. And on an ever-multiplying number of bookshelves.

My compulsion. My insanity. My legacy.

lazykbys_left: Or the super duper ultimate deluxe This Is REALLY The Last Time George Is Tweaking The Saga, Honest box set.

LOL! I don't think we'll ever see the LAST reissue.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.