main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Mini Series Owen Lars (spoilers)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Jedi Knight Fett, Mar 9, 2022.

1. TheSilentInfluence

TheSilentInfluence Retired Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 15, 2014
    I agree yeah. I also think that Owen would probably use the whole "you gave Luke to us instead of raising him yourself. He's my son." Kind of argument to justify his behaviour to Obi Wan.

Mostly Handless and DannyD like this.
  2. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    He was probably drunk when said to Luke in ANH:

"He died about the same time as your father"
    ;)

3. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    He meant "Obi Wan Kenobi" but isn't nearly as good at "certain point of viewing" as Kenobi.

Shaak Ti likes this.
  4. DannyD

DannyD Jedi Master star 4

Dec 16, 2017
    The new trailer suggests he's somewhat pivotal, either in encountering the Inquisitors or Obi-Wan.

So glad he's getting a decent back story. Maybe Beru too?

(It all adds to their loss in ANH of course).

5. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    His voice in this was so much more in line with gravelly old ANH Owen and I loved every intonation of it.

6. ConservativeJedi321

ConservativeJedi321 Force Ghost star 6

Mar 19, 2016
    One thing I'm really hoping this series does is have Owen mention Shmi.
    I've always felt that a large part of the emotional residence with him is his empathy for Shmi as his adopted mother, and as a result he has a lingering bitterness over the Jedi taking her son from her, losing him, and depriving him the chance of ever really getting to bond with the man his saw as his brother.
    I know this is covered in some other books and comics, but I feel like having the actors say the words would have a lot more emotional strength behind it.

7. Dr Silva

Dr Silva Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 23, 2021
    Plus he saw his dad probably bitter and broken the rest of his life for losing Shmi also.

Last edited: May 4, 2022
  8. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    As they have the time in a series format for lots of specific dialogue as opposed to a movie where you want to keep things moving and not linger I would think that they'll address this.

My question is how biased will Owen be against the Jedi for things they never did. As you point out would he really believe the Jedi "took" Anakin when that wasn't the case. What does he even think about Anakin who he met once for a few minutes?

Is Owen just a simple farmer or does he have a better understanding of the galactic events?

9. DannyD

Dec 16, 2017
    He certainly seems brave enough to stay put on Tatooine and does seem to stand firm against the Empire (in the trailer). But we don't have enough content and context about this yet. Maybe he isn't that brave (I hope he is).

Kenobi spins a narrative about Luke's life and perspective on it with reference to Owen, in ANH:

Luke: Look, I can't get involved. I've got work to do. It's not that I like the Empire; I hate it, but there's nothing I can do about it right now... It's all such a long way from here.
    Kenobi : That's your uncle talking.

How much of this is true, who knows? Owen doesn't seem hugely supportive of Luke in ANH. But maybe the Kenobi series gives Owen added justification for not getting involved: Whether academy, Jedi, or rebellion, he's going to come into contact with formidable enemies.

I guess for Owen, he reaches Jyn's view, as stated in Rogue One:

Saw: You can stand to see the Imperial flag reign across the galaxy?
    Jyn: It's not a problem if you don't look up.

(Of course, she didn't really mean it in the end).

Shaak Ti and Mostly Handless like this.
  10. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    The Empire does not seem to have a ton of presence on Tatooine most of the time. So that stuff likely matters little to day to day life there.

Also Luke’s dad went off to be a Jedi, and it did not end well. Owen probably just feels like Luke staying put will keep him safe.

Mostly Handless likes this.
  11. Brer79

Brer79 Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 3, 2017

Like most series/movies these days.
    They would probably give Owen some whacky backstory about how he learned some form of jedi hand-to-hand fighting in his life, and take out an entire group of Stormtroopers.

Half joking because a part of me wouldn't be surprised if I did see it.

Last edited: May 5, 2022
  12. DannyD

Dec 16, 2017
    I think you can fully joke! I'll eat my copy of Rogue One if it happens. :)

I do think we are in safe hands with this one.

(No Rodriguez in sight).

13. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    I can't wait to see how the whole OWK - Owen thing plays out, we saw Owen as the grumpy old man in ANH but underneath there's the kind guy you see briefly in AOTC. The dynamics of their relationship, the surrogate father figure in Owen and the 'think he knows best' uncle' in OWK. Where does this leave Beru too, does she het caught in the middle, the one that has to hold her tongue and try to keep the peace?

I always imagined OWK coming to the farm while Owen is out in the fields, Beru providing him with a meal or two, having a chat over a blue milk latte and talking about Anakin, Padme and the twins.

14. ConservativeJedi321

Mar 19, 2016
    I certainly don't think Shmi would have left him with the impression the Jedi took him against her will or anything.
    She probably went to great lengths to explain her thought process to him, if for no other reason to remind herself.

Granted this is mostly speculation, but firmly based in his portrayal so far in both the Old and New EU, but I think the most likely thing is that Owen, like many people IRL, has trouble processing hindsight. He sees how sad his mother was, he knows his father liberated her, and is hung up on what would have happened if Anakin would have stayed. Cliegg could have saved them both, they could have been a happy normal family of moisture farmers, maybe, just maybe with Anakin around Shmi wouldn't have died, which if the legends explanation for his death stands could have saved Cliegg as well.

Even if Shmi told him her thought process in letting Anakin go, I don't think Owen could have really put himself in her shoe's. Even knowing the facts he can't know the full context and may even think the Jedi played some kind of mind game to separate Anakin from her. He wanted his mother to be happy, he wants his parents alive, he wishes he could have gotten to know his brother. In all that context his bitterness is at least understandable, even if misplaced.

In the comics he asks Obi-Wan if he's killed enough Skywalkers, and that carries the implicit statement that he blames the Jedi for Shmi's death too.
    I liked that line because of all the subtext and while the series may not build on it I would love if they at least acknowledged that aspect of his character.

Last edited: May 5, 2022
    Valiowk and Shaak Ti like this.
  15. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    I gotta say that I'm glad we have the good luck too see Ewan McGregor and Joel Edgerton acting off each other in this series. I loved Ewan's performance of Obi-Wan in the prequel films and I've seen him do a good job in other movies, such as Birds of Prey, Salmon Fishing in the Yemen, and August: Osage County. I saw Edgerton in Red Sparrow and Boy Erased, the latter of which he directed, as well. Edgerton's character in the latter film is based on an ex-gay preacher who tried to covert kids from being gay, which is abuse and does not work. He did a good job of making me dislike his character.

However, Owen Lars can be seen to have a point. The non-canon EU work, Old Wounds, features a resurrected Darth Maul attacking the Lars homestead, and Obi-Wan faces Maul as the fallen Sith Lord so desired. Yeah. Luke hates working on Owen's moisture farm in ANH, but it's important to remember that Owen and Beru raised a Jedi. Luke got his compassionate and sensitive side from Beru, and Owen taught him to be a hard, tough man on Tatooine, a dangerous place. I always remember the first time seeing ANH as a kid as I wondered what Beru and Owen meant when they talked about Luke's father. TESB answered my question pretty quickly.

AusStig likes this.
  16. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    "Like you raised his father?" Great line--simple but effective. I wonder whether we get to find out how Owen knows who Luke's father is. Did Obi-Wan just straight-up tell him?

17. DannyD

Dec 16, 2017
    I imagine he asked Owen and Beru to care for Luke because of the family connection. So he knows the Anakin is the father.

The question is...when does Owen find out Anakin is Vader (or, more accurately, Anakin's murderous ways)?

Shaak Ti likes this.
  18. Count Yubnub

Oct 1, 2012
    Obviously he presumably knows Anakin is Luke's father. The implication of this line here is that Owen knows that training Anakin ended, well, badly. Which in turn implies that Owen knows Anakin is Vader.

DannyD likes this.
  19. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Not necessarily. He knows it ended badly because he’s being asked to care for Anakin’s. That could mean he’s dead for all Owen knows.

20. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    Owen and Beru aren't just going to take on this baby without asking questions, OWK will have to tell them Anakin & Padme are dead. That would open up for more questions, I doubt OWK would go into details, Owen already knows Anakin is hot headed and quick to act... not exactly something he want's Luke to become.

21. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    I think Owen Lars if not knows at least suspects His step brother is the dark lord himself. When he sees Inquisitors and the theath to Luke, I think he knows. He is fraid Luke will be like his father, and in the comics he says to Kenobi he has killed enough Skywalkers.

Last edited: May 6, 2022
  22. Count Yubnub

Oct 1, 2012
    I think the implication is that Owen knows. If it were a trivial line then it wouldn't be so prominently featured in the trailer. I'm assuming it all leads to Owen's line "That's what I'm afraid of" in ANH.

23. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Anakin being dead because Obi-Wan and the Jedi led him to fighting in a war wouldn’t exactly be trivial to Owen.

Shaak Ti, TCF-1138 and DannyD like this.
  24. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    The way he speaks to Obi-Wan and mentions Anakin gives the hint he knows or suspects the truth of what happenned.

25. ConservativeJedi321

Mar 19, 2016
    The comics lean in the direction Owen thinks Anakin is dead, but that could just as well be 'certain point of viewing'.
    The more I think about it the more I like the idea that Obi-Wan did lie to Owen when giving Luke to him, and a major part of the plot is Owen discovering what really happened.
    As others have mentioned it could add a certain dark twist to Owens line in ANH.

Fredrik Vallestrand and DannyD like this.