main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

packaging discussion thread

Discussion in 'Collecting' started by khairul_azwan, Jan 25, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. khairul_azwan

khairul_azwan Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 9, 2002
    hiya,

is it just me or was the POTJ package designs really good? here's what i like about em:

- a modern version of the cool vintage cards
    - cool design for card rear with a lot more info on other stuff
    - cool colours?

i know the saga line has to deal with more accessories (which is great), still sum'in bout it seems to me like they couldve done better, from a design POV.

KA

2. Legolas_Greenleaf_

Legolas_Greenleaf_ Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 10, 2002
    I was getting REALLY sick of green.......

3. JediMasterGuff

JediMasterGuff Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 18, 2002
    I want Saga to continue up to (and including) Ep3.

4. Master-Fett

Master-Fett Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 25, 2002
    i'm not sure what i want...
    it depends what they replace it with [face_plain]

5. DarthMak

DarthMak Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 4, 2001
    If they had any brains whatsoever, they would package them on vintage style cards.

6. Master-Fett

Master-Fett Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 25, 2002
    YES VINTAGE !... but not vinage

cardboard
    black background , with stars
    movie name in bold letters on the top
    big blister
    no "with action features" label

something like that

7. PhantomMenace

PhantomMenace Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 20, 2001
    Well for 2004 they'll likely keep this style, though the color may change. I like the blue, but after a while, I tend to get tired of the same packaging. I think a silver or a gold would be cool for the Saga cards. Instead of holding a blue saber, they can change Anakin's hands with Luke's holding a green saber, but that might mean the package would have to be green. I'm tired of green and red doesn't work too well for Star Wars products in my opinion.

8. Mara_Jade_Fan

Mara_Jade_Fan Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 1, 2002
    I hated the Episode 1 cards (red and black), and was glad when the POTJ cards came out. I thought they were great, and I like the Saga cards as well. As others have said, I would like to see a return to the vintage cards, maybe do some retro POTF with coin cards as well.

9. DaDarth

DaDarth Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2002
    I agree Mara, The Ep 1 cards were ugly. I opened all my figs just to get rid op the cards. The Saga ones are pretty cool. I would like to see a new card for Ep 3, maybe a new take on the vintage card??

10. Quickstrike34

Quickstrike34 Jedi Knight star 5

Sep 27, 2001
    I'd like to see a Vintage Card, or mabye even something along the lines of the current Saga packaging for Episode III, but if they went with something like the Saga PAckaging again I would like to see at least a color change.

11. Billy_Dee_Binks

Billy_Dee_Binks Force Ghost star 4

Mar 29, 2002
    There are several new ideas that should be made for a card / blister package.
    Here we go:

A very slim card that has a half side of Ep1 Obi Wan standing and holding his
    sabre which is still attached to his belt and a Vader on the ride side also holding his sabre handle.
    On top of the card the should be the letters STAR WARS with two characters
    having a lighsabre fight. At least small shadows of the on the rights side of the logo.
    Cons.: Characters like Ephan Mon wouldn`t fit on such cards.

Other idea:

Put the figures into little boxes that have
    a image of the character on the front which can be opened up like a book to reveal the figure.
    Kinda like those vintage Japanese packages for the original line released somewhere betwen 1980 and 1982.
    Playmates also used this idea for their
    Star Trek: TNG figures.
    I like this idea.

Another idea:

Put all figures into plastic baggies and seal them by attaching a piece of small cardboard on top that says STAR WARS.
    Nice retro idea, huh?

12. JediJunkie247

JediJunkie247 Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 24, 2002
    I personally like the current style of packaging.

13. khairul_azwan

Aug 9, 2002
    with the extensive inclusion of access. (which rocks), i don't think they can go that format with the blister on one side and a picture on the other, but i'd appreciate a better coverage of the line on the back of the cards with those checklist type thumbnails. its fun to go over it and go "oo i have this, this, i gotta get this and so on and so on"...

14. NiktosRule

NiktosRule Jedi Padawan star 4

May 8, 2001
    I don't care what packaging it is in as I open all my figures and then throw away the packaging. Packaging has influence on whether or not I buy a figure either.

15. Padawan716

Padawan716 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 7, 2001
    I for one liked the TPM cards.

16. Sithman

Sithman Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 6, 1999
    The Silver Anniversary R2-D2's packaging is awesome (the same as Toy Fair Vader). It almost looks rather retro to me.

[image=http://actionfiguresbygofigure.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/media/r2d2(silveranniversary).jpg]

Black backgroun with a little bit of starfield at the top.
    As for text? STAR WARS in bold silver letters. Simply, retro, and totally rad-tad. I reminds me quite a bit of the ROTJ and other vintage packaging.

The silver border is simple yet somehow cool.

Of course, the bubble would have to be made bigger, but that's rather obvious (not every figure can fit inside a bubble made for R2-D2).

A picture of the character and a bio on the back would complete the card.

Oh well, for those of you who have the R2s or Vaders, would you agree with me?

17. Quickstrike34

Quickstrike34 Jedi Knight star 5

Sep 27, 2001
    I would agree :)

18. Jack_T_Chance

Jack_T_Chance Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 18, 2002
    An idea that I'm quite fond of is the idea of a resealable clam-shell package that you can take the figure in and out of! :)
    This is something that DC Direct just switched to on their DC Comics action figures for the direct market.
    For most collectors, it would be great because it would allow you to remove the figure without destroying the package, and put it back in whenever you want and close it up.
    If collectors are concerned about the whole "Mint in Sealed Package" bit, they could easily put some kind of easily opened seal on the packages.
    Alas, this is all a moot point, as Hasbro will never do anything of the sort for regular action figures.
    Special action figures (like 300th Figure Edition Boba Fett and the TRU exclusive figure and coin packages) may come in reclosable boxes, as do the 12" dolls, but I don't see them ever doing it on the regular 4" line. They probably wouldn't consider it cost effective. :(

19. khairul_azwan

Aug 9, 2002
    as cool as silver r2's packaging is, i'd like to see that reserve for exclusives only, hence the title "exclusive". i think i've "figured" (geddit...nevermind) out what bothers me about the saga pakaging in terms of colors: its not the blue but the lack of black! with potf2 and potj its basically been red/green black so i'd like to see a continuiation: blue on black! the black makes the card look more "solid". and why cant they put the poster checklist on the back of the cards like the vintage. more graphics/info please!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.