main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books Padmé YA novel CONFIRMED (Queen’s Shadow by EK Johnston)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by bsmith7174, Nov 13, 2017.

1. HedecGa

HedecGa Jedi Master star 4

Apr 19, 2006
    Well, it's about time.

2. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    Not excited for the Han one cause I feel we have over-saturated that character a bit recently. But HECK YEAH for the Padme novel.

KamenSentaiMetalHero likes this.
  3. Jedi Master Scorpio

Jedi Master Scorpio Star Wars Television star 5 Staff Member Manager

Oct 24, 2015
    The Padme novel has me intrigued for sure. It would be awesome if they managed to make a book that incorporates Luke and Leia learning about her. Either way add this to my already growing collection of Canon material.

BobaMatt likes this.
  4. Talos of Atmora

Talos of Atmora Force Ghost star 5

Jul 3, 2016
    No idea why you'd put a Padmé novel under YA but it should be interesting, nonetheless.

Yeah, no kidding.

KamenSentaiMetalHero and kalzeth like this.
  5. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Hopefully this is given to someone competent, with a strong a vision for the character. It's a chance to do something great and validate the character and the fans, maybe the only chance. So let's hope it's not wasted on an uninspired, routine effort. Let's hope it's better than some of the really crappy, lazy, fundamentally flawed TCW Padme episodes that totally misunderstand the character. Be better. Go above and beyond. Set a new standard for the character.

I was thinking YA might hold this back from being a sort of ultimate treatise on the character...but maybe if this is really good it can lead to something that in-depth.

6. grungebunny

grungebunny Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jul 20, 2005
    The young adult label shouldn't stop anything. Padme is hardly a character that would benefit from 'adult content'. The YA label doesn't mean it should lack maturity. A girl 12 should be able to read a decent Padme book with strong relevant themes.

7. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    If anything the YA label gives me a lot more confidence in this book's quality than if it was a regular adult release

bizzbizz, Jedi Ben, Ulicus and 2 others like this.
  8. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    While I don't think YA means the book will be uninteresting or simplistic (often the opposite!), I'd also really, really love someone like Luceno to write about the events that got cut out of Episode III. So I want both.

9. Yunzabit

Yunzabit Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2015
    Bad news everybody. Panini requested that jedibibliothek remove the Padme YA (along with the Han Solo YA) from their online catalogue. I think this has nothing to do with it not being released, but who knows :(

mes520 likes this.
  10. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Throwing the rug over the elephant in the corner doesn't change the fact that it's an elephant.

I'm not sure if that analogy works, but I'm flying with it.

11. Maythe14thBeWithYou

Maythe14thBeWithYou Jedi Master star 4

May 26, 2014
    This sounds cool, while the YA tag does have a certain...feel to it this should be good esp. if done by Claudia Gray. This hopefully is good.

12. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    If anyone is good for a YA book, it's Padme.

13. grungebunny

grungebunny Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jul 20, 2005
    A novel isn't something thrown together overnight. If Panini got the info they got it from somewhere. Maybe its something to so with announcing the projects?
    The Han Solo novel entry on wookiepedia has this edit tag 'Accidentally announced, takedown requested by publisher'

14. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    How likely is it to be done by Claudia Gray. I realize she would be a good fit but she just released a novel a couple months ago.

15. Talos of Atmora

Jul 3, 2016
    The only real umbrage I have with Padmé's novel being YA is the fact that a lot of the interesting stuff centered around her would be her political advancement on Naboo and conflicts with the Galactic Senate which I don't think translates very well into the young adult fiction genre. Then again, the approach to the story may somewhat differ from that so it could still work.

For continuity's sake, that's probably what it's going to end up being a literary version of.

Hypatia and CT-867-5309 like this.
  16. BookExogorth

BookExogorth Force Ghost star 4

May 4, 2017
    I haven't seen much of The Clone Wars, and I'm interested in this novel. Of what characterizations of Padme do you speak?

17. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    The one that gets most frequently cited is "Senate Spy", featuring Yoda's WTF decision to have Padme flirt with her ex for Separatist military secrets. The one where she went to Mandalore and fought evil tea smugglers was pretty preposterous too, but honestly that's not really a Padme characterization problem.

18. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Even worse than Yoda’s telling her to do that was her decision to go along with it.

I mean, I guess if you want to characterize politicians as being willing to do literally anything to score points...there it is. I liked the idea that Padme (and Bail) were principled though.

And don’t even get me started on Padme in the season six episodes.

Yeah, I hope the novel does better than that.

19. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    TCW just had no idea who Padme was on a fundamental level.

I'm gonna quote some Quango Fett posts I enjoyed back when TCW was airing. I spent a stupid amount of time digging these up, and some of them are quite long and/or repetitive, but I enjoyed them so much back then, and I want to give Quango some shine, because he deserves it. There's some really good stuff in these quotes.

I think we all had an instinctive understanding that Padme just wasn't right in TCW, but he was one of the few who cared enough about Padme to really dig into it.

I hope whoever writes this thing cares as much Quango did, at least enough to grasp Padme's character throughout her political evolution. It may not be particularly relevant to the story of this novel, though.

Still. Padme is not a Leia clone, she's not Satine, she doesn't have ROTS on DVD, she's not particularly sympathetic to the CIS, which is largely led by Nute Gunray and his ilk, and the Clone War is not the War on Terror.

20. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Some of that is very on point (especially the stuff about how sometimes she was basically just written as Leia; her father having an 'old Senate ally' was always such a "whaaa" moment) but: I do think it's worth noting that a lot of the political aspects also rely on EU stuff that Lucas apparently changed his mind on. The Clone War is not the War on Terror, but canonically it's not the American Civil War either; the misguided/appropriated idealists are supposed to be at least as much of a faction in the CIS as the megacorp stooges.

[This is actually leading me into a whole line of thought about how completely awkward it really is to have TCW existing in both the old and new continuities, but that's kinda off-topic]

21. Talos of Atmora

Jul 3, 2016
    That's because it doesn't and shouldn't.

Vthuil likes this.
  22. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006
    One of the problems I had with the entire Clone Wars political/corporation situation was no explanation was ever given why the Trade Federation and Banking Clan senators were still part of the Republic, particularly since the leaders were known Separatists.

My head canon is pretty much that the Banking Clan originally supported the Separatists openly until the Republic Navy came to Muunilinst and Scipio and forced them to surrender San Hill and his cohorts. They did to get rid of Hill (he eventually escaped) but declared neutrality instead. The same thing happened when the Republic arrived at Neimoidia and the purse worlds though Gunray escaped rather then get arrested.

But who knows, if we get more to the Treaty of 1647 it might explain the corporations' ability to play both sides of the war.

23. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    Whether or not it should, it does. There are so many Legends TCW tie-ins. The best example of this is The Clone Wars: No Prisoners, where Ahsoka meets Pellaeon and the Altisian Jedi, including Callista.

24. Lady_Skywalker87

Lady_Skywalker87 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 4, 2008
    YESSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!YES YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ITS HAPPENING!!!!!!!!!!!![face_party][face_dancing]
    I'm SOOO STATIC!!

That's because like most people, those who handled her after the movies fail to realize the Padmè thrives with in the realms of subtlety. Case in point, Senate Spy based on Notorious by Hitchcock was the perfect of opportunity to explore Padme as a woman, because of the setting but, it boiled down to basically a pissing match between her and hubby. Add the monkey wrench of Cato being a neutral planet and I needed Tequila(that I didn't have) to finish the episode.

I want it all, I want it all and I wanted NOW! [face_hypnotized][face_hypnotized][face_hypnotized] Seriously, if this goes well with this I could hope that a book comes along which will override some the nonsense that TCW has done with Padmè, including her marriage. Fingers crossed.

CT-867-5309 Thanks for the reminder that someone understood my growing frustration while the show was airing.:)

25. Yunzabit

Yunzabit Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2015
    Does anybody have the link for the Panini catalogue or an email to contact for Panini. I REALLY don't want this book to be cancelled and need confirmation.

Lady_Skywalker87 likes this.