main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Padme Amidala Padmé's Packing Dress in AOTC

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Dorme, May 26, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cressie

cressie Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 12, 2006
    I too saw the MR display at dragoncon and I couldn't wait to have my picture taken in my packing gown beside their version. They didn't look too happy when I did this:[image=http://cressie.dotphoto.com/SAN1/FC/3B/C5/iFC3BC5C0-AA94-4E49-9E91-FA1792E918B9.jpg]

I have to agree with KayDee, it's like putting a price tag on our hobby. Not being able to buy these costumes is the reason I re-learned to sew many years ago and I take great joy and pride in creating one of a kind creations for myself. I am actually thankful that these costumes were not commercial in 2003 because that was how I found my hobby for costuming!

Now and forever will I be asked at conventions: "is that from Museum Replicas?"

But I did have a good little chuckle to know that my costume was made at 1/4 the cost of the MR version. Plus it was custom fitted to my body with actual beads- not the flat embroidery on the prototype. So take that! :)

I promise I will post more details of how I made my version and the patterns I modified soon, I have to get caught up with school now that Dcon is over. I have lots of pictures from Dragon-Co and I'm sure you'll see lots of people you'll recognize from this thread:

My photo gallery

Boyfriend's photo gallery- with higher quality pics

It was great to finally meet old and new friends from this board at D-con!

2. princessleia911

princessleia911 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 25, 2005
    Great job on this, Cressie and it was good to meet you too. I especially enjoyed your comments during the NY Jedi show(IF you can call it that, LOL) and had a few friends laughing hard at your comments ;)

3. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 27, 2000
    Great job on your dress Cressie. :D I love the picture of you standing next to the MR prototype.

4. Jedi_Jess_5

Jedi_Jess_5 Jedi Youngling

Sep 8, 2008
    Hey everyone! I'm Jessica that always runs around in the picnic dress at conventions. I've always lurked but I decided to actually start posting. THe main reason for this post is to apologize to anyone that was in the costume contest at Dragon con. I won last year in the Padme category and was therefore not going to enter again this year since I didn't have a new costume yet. Cathy from Matters of the Force caught me and told me about the Best of Show category that they had started this year of past winners competing against each other so I entered that. Well, it didn't quite turn out that way since evidently it wasn't ezxplained to the judges what that category was, and since they didn't actually announce the categories as contestants were coming out, I guess they thought I was in with the Padmes. Anyway, they called my name and I didn't know what to do, so I went ahead and went up on stage, and as soon as it was over found Cathy and asked her what we were going to do. She said that if I wanted to, we could give it to the next person in line, who was Cressie, and I said to do it since I wasn't even supposed to win. But by the time all this happened, Cressie was already gone and I couldn't find her in the hallway. So I just wanted to say sorry, especially to Cressie since she should've been on the stage getting an award. You looked great! I just wanted everyone to know that I would never intenionally reenter something I had already won in.

5. cressie

cressie Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 12, 2006
    Yay!!! I'm so excited! We have the awesomeness of Jessica on the board now!!!! :)
    Jessica, don't worry about it. That was really sweet what you did, i'm sure most people would just keep the award. Your Picnic gown IS stunning! I really appreciate the award, I've been entering that costume contest for years and never won. I was really excited when Beth told me I had won the next day!

You and your Mom have awesome costume skills! I'm sure you'll be bombarded with questions about how you made the Picnic. Welcome to the boards!

6. Jedi_Jess_5

Sep 8, 2008
    Thanks! Everyone that I've met at conventions that are on this board are always so nice and I just thought I could talk to you all year instead of just when it's convention time!

7. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 27, 2000
    Hi Jessica! It's nice to see you over here. :)
    Look at what I just came across on the Dragon*Con website:

[image=http://www.dragoncon.org/images/rotating_photos/photos-212.JPG]
    So pretty!

And congrats to you, Cressie!

8. kay_dee

kay_dee Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2002
    Hi Jessica! I'm so glad you've decided to post on the boards now. You and your mom did such an amazing job on your picnic gown it still have me intimidated to start my new one because it will never be as good.

It sounds like the MOTF costume contest was very confusing for lots of people this year. I will tell you, I've been in it and watched it for quite a few years now. It almost seems to me it does not matter what category you put yourself in on your application sheet. The judges have always been the ones who really say "X" is best in show, or "Y" is best craftsmanship - etc. I think it really should be that way too. People should say they are Original Trilogy or Padme, whatever they are, but then the judges in contests usually determine out of the lot who gets the top honors :)

I couldn't stay to watch the awards being handed out this year. Did they do a best craftsmanship award again?

9. luminousbeing78

luminousbeing78 Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 9, 2005
    Congrats, Cressie! Your packing dress is beautiful! I've seen some really good pics of the costume contest...everyone looks great! Did anyone enter the Friday night contest, ot the masquerade?
    Jessica, your picnic dress makes me want to hurry up and finish that last skirt panel!! And re-embroider my corset! And dye my underskirt...you get the picture...:)

10. Jedi_Jess_5

Sep 8, 2008
    Thanks everybody! It's always great to get compliment since this is one of my biggest passions in life, as is everyone else on this board! And Kay-Dee, that's a really big compliment from you since everything you do is so awesome! They didn't give out anything for craftsmanship or anyhthing like that this time. They just did best in show which was supposed to be my category but I guess the judges thought that was out of everybody. Although I have to say that if it weren't explained to me what that category was, I would probably think it was out of everybody too just from the title of it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.