main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Padme Amidala Padme Purple Dress - Loyalist Committee

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Mrs_MayimNaar, Feb 26, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FERDALUMP

FERDALUMP Jedi Youngling star 3

May 12, 2002
    That's all I have up right now-- I have the main page with the original dress, and then 3 Journal entries-the latest being the one you described. I will be updating, and adding a lot more pictures-but as of now--that's all I have :(

Thanks for your interest-Please be patient--I'm working on a WHOLE LOT of stuff right now :) :)
    Ferd

2. rvqavalon

rvqavalon Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 24, 2002
    What a precious child! She's way too cute, Ferd!

Oh, the dress looks great so far, too. [face_laugh]

Kate

3. Jedi Girl of Corellia

Jedi Girl of Corellia Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 23, 2000
    The dress is looking good so far Ferd! :D

I have a quick question for you all... would you say the inner sleeves (the smallest ones with no beading) are the same color of the rest of the dress? I want to know if I should use the same material...

And I now have all the beads and fabric and supplies for making the headress and dress. But unfortunatly I haven't had the time to get started :( Oh well, I stop work on the 23rd, then I have a whole week to work on it before I leave for college.

4. Jedi Girl of Corellia

Jun 23, 2000
    I think that the last time I posted it got messed up so it wouldn't go to the top of the threads :p I've had that happen a couple times before. :mad:

5. Jedi Girl of Corellia

Jun 23, 2000
    Well I finally started work on my dress! :D I've changed my pattern so that it laces up the sides, so that several different sized people can wear it. The original pattern also has buttons up the back, but I am changing that to a zipper. So far I have the lining nearly done, the boning has been giving me grief. It usually doesn't but it is just one of those days I suppose.

Well I am off to get some sequins! :D

6. Mrs_MayimNaar

Mrs_MayimNaar Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 14, 2002
    Ferd, are you able to draw or diagram the beading on the bodice, for the rest of us to get a better idea of what you did? It looks really good, by the way! And the colors are perfect!

7. FERDALUMP

May 12, 2002
    JGOC I think the innermost sleeves are made of the same material as the underdress--that's how I'm doing mine at least :)

My dress is going to have faux lacing up the back of the bodice, and actual fabric covered buttons on the side for actual dressing. I'm making it in these pieces: The bodice with beading and 2 sets of sleeves. The skirt with beaded and embroidered front panel and zipper back. The under crinoline with petticoat netting. The over coat with piping and large pocket sleeves, and the headpiece.

MrsMayim Sure I can sketch it out and post it. I used large tube like bugle beads to do the outline of the entire design. I did this in double rows. I did all the beading onto a piece of silk organza which I tinted purple. This fabric strong and I was able to draw the design and hoop it while I embroidered, then cut out the beaded "V" and stitched it to the satin bodice. Then I am embellishing it with the swarovski crstals to fill in the design. I did my design using sequins and bugle beads and such all in shades of Jet AB, and deep purples and blues.

Hope that helps out a little :) Ferd

8. Jedi Girl of Corellia

Jun 23, 2000
    Thanks Ferd. I think that's what I am going to do.

As for the way I am doing mine, I have the skirt, with a seperat petticote, the bodice, it laces up the sides and can fit a 26 inch waist to a 34 inch waist, and zips in the back. Then there is the little shrug, the one with the embellished sleeves. I am using McCall's pattern 3033. I will use the pattern as it calls for the undersleeves, then enlarge for the next sleeve layer. I still haven't figured out the outer coat. I think I am going to order that silk velvet from Dharma and use the devoire technique to get the texture, then hand dye it.

And the head piece and necklace are a secret ;) I want to finish those before I reveal how I did them, partly because I don't know how they will turn out!

9. Jedi Girl of Corellia

Jun 23, 2000
    I have a rough draft of the pattern I am using for the beading on the front! Each line represents two rows of beads.

[image=http://www.rmff.net/costumes/tut/royal/amipurple/pics/beadpatterntop.jpg]

10. Mrs_MayimNaar

Feb 14, 2002
    My doll dress is coming along great!!! I am making this dress for an 18" doll that looks like Padme, and I have all of the sewing completed for the underdress. I am going to begin the beading and sequins this evening. I'll post pics as soon as I develope my roll of film.

Here's a heads up for those of you looking for fabric -- JoAnn's etc. has a fabric on sale that will work for the outer cloak. It is called flocked or felted something. I can't remember the name, but I'm going back today for more supplies, so I'll look.

Anyways, the fabric is on sale for $6.99/yd. (regular $8.99). It is a bit on the thin side, but this may be a good thing, if you're planning on wearing it to any conventions. The Fabric has a swirly design in it, and is the perfect color!

11. Mrs_MayimNaar

Feb 14, 2002
    Well, the sewing is complete on my doll dress. It looks good so far, but the trim and beading will determine how accurate it will be.

For shoes, I was planning on making some satin beaded slippers to go with the dress, using scraps of fabric from the dress material -- kind of along the lines of the shoes from Ever After. What do you guys think of this? Has anyone else thought about what they are going to do for shoes?

Also, I know you can buy thin copper sheets that can be trimmed and shaped with simple tools. Does anyone know what I'm talking about? I thought this might work for the bindings of the hair piece. [face_clown]

Anyone have any costume updates?

12. FERDALUMP

May 12, 2002
    Sorry Mrs.M I have been Swamped!!!! Halloween is rapidly approaching and I am having to seriously limit my computer time, or else I'll NEVER catch up :)
    Great minds do think alike! I remember discussing the Ever After shoes with QS somewhere in regards to this dress. That is exactly the look I am going for. I am adorning (well Planning on) white satin flats for Sydney to wear with her costume. I am going to dye them, and embellish them with stones and such.

I will post an update on my journal as soon as I can... Ferd
    *EDIT*
    I've worked with aluminum flashing, too--but didn't see copper. I know you can find copper pipes and fittings, maybe that would work. I have seen sheets of tin and stuff for punching -so I'm sure there are copper sheets out there. I agree that you need to be careful with metals :( OUCHY!!

13. rvqavalon

rvqavalon Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 24, 2002
    Thin copper sheets? Like flashing? I've worked w/ aluminum flashing before, but never copper. Sounds like it should work, though you'd have to watch out for sharp edges once you cut it. Metal tends to be nasty after cutting.

14. Nostradamus

Nostradamus Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 2, 2000
    I finally read this whole thread.
    Great picture references.
    FERD, your little niece's dress will be adorable!

I was thinking about attempting to do this one next.
    I spent some time drawing it out on the way to Atlanta last week and did some more thinking about exactly how to do it on the way back.
    The look of the headpiece and the ability for it to be able to stay on Quincy's head will make this costume work.
    I think I have an idea to be able to make it work and I did see a velvet fabric in a suitable midnight purple (I think) I will have to go take a closer look at it an price it out soon.
    I was thinking about doing this costume in several pieces to allow for easier adjustments for an ever-growing Quincy.
    The coat will be the least flexible piece. I can probably make it so the length can be somewhat adjusted at the waist.
    I would make the skirt as a slip with adjustable shoulder straps. I would make the bodice lace in the back and maybe at the sides as well. I may take a cue from the Rennaissance designs and make the 2 sets of inner sleeves tie on......The lower front piece would be separate and attach to the inside of the bodice.
    I was thinking netting would work to keep a shape.
    I could possibly make the underdress wearable on it's own.
    I am going to have to search for some of the key fabrics to make this.

Tooling brass. It comes in copper too. It will take a lot of sanding and filing to get it to the point where you don't hurt yourself on it.

15. Jedi Girl of Corellia

Jun 23, 2000
    Also for the metal there is embossable metal. It is very flexable and you will need to lay a sheet down on newspaper and use a ball point pen to press the design into it. They sell it at JoAnns and Hobby lobby for about 6-7 dollars. I think there are two sheets in the package.

But I've used it for all kinds of projects, and if you put a coat of plaster on the back of it it will keep it's shape very well. It's easy to work with and can be antiqued very well.

Now for another bit of news. Since I've been at college I have not been able to sew because my parents said the machine would be too much of a distraction :p Ok. I think they may let me have it back because I have people offering me stuff to sew their things for them. :D Should be interesting to see how it turns out.

16. Mrs_MayimNaar

Feb 14, 2002
    Yay! We've got Nos on our team now! We can all count on having even more expert advice in the thread now -- a perfect compliment to all the other experts that are already present!

I ran into a problem with my embellishments last night. The inner triangle of the "V" on the bodice is all completely beaded, and it looks good. But the swirly patterns that go around the beading, as well as the sleeves and the front of the skirt, are giving me problems. They are simply too small to do beadwork on an 18" doll.

I thought of using fabric paint(the bubble paint or whatever it's called) to draw out the designs and then lay tiny beads or glitter or something over the fabric paint.

Anyone have any advice on this?

17. Nostradamus

Nostradamus Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 2, 2000
    Hmmmm. The doll.
    Very Interesting Mrs_MayimNaar!
    I must see pics of the doll.

I don't know what all that you have done with it already, but what about an ornate thread? I am not sure what they are called. I have used some of the heavier threads before for needlepoint projects (a long time ago) I seem to remember some of the threads being very shiney/rich/satiny that if you did small stitches, they Would probably pass for beads/beading.

I looked at the fabric tonight.
    It was too blue, not purple enough. :( Pattern too regular. I saw an other burn-out velvet that was the right color, but was totally flowery. :(
    I will continue to search tomorrow and become completely and totally distracted by this $1 per yard orange taffetta I saw a couple weeks ago. It might become my next can can dress, if it is still there. ;)
    I will look for those midnight purples. Those colors and fabrics should be big in the stores right now.
    Dollar taffetta. How can I pass it up?
    There might be purple too. I will bring my fabric digging tools.

I figure I won't be able to start on the Senator costume until I find the correct color & texture fabric for the coat. I don't want to mess around with dying anything.

I have been looking at some of the patterns suggested in this thread.
    I am going to use the Simplicity #9836 Young Renaissance Maidens to start with. It is a girls pattern so that will give be a better idea of the scaling of some of the pieces. I wanted to get that pattern anyway to make some Ren coordinates for Quincy to wear to the Faire next year. I think we are going to be getting season passes next summer, so we will need several different outfits to mix and match.
    I was thinking this particular Senator Amidala dress could actually go both ways--Ren and SW.
    I would use the corset thing in veiw A with out the center lacing. Use the 'apron' idea from view B just give it a slightly different shape. I would use the double sleeve idea from veiw C but put the spilt sleeves in the coat. I would make the dress bodice much more simple, so it could be worn under the corset thing. The "V" piece on the corset could be done as a separte detatchable piece (like the apron/tie thing)
    I would have to put some of the fancy stuff on the outer sleeves.
    If I do it neatly, those pieces could be worn just like that to the Faire.
    I was looking at the Simplicty #9533 Renaissance Legacy coats. It will take some mega-modifications.

18. Mrs_MayimNaar

Feb 14, 2002
    Nos, unfortunatly the only pics I have of the doll right now are from last week when I hadn't finished very much of the sewing. You can see them here, but they are very incomplete! Since those pics were taken, I have finished the cloak, added the panel that hangs down in front of the skirt, and lots of other stuff.

As for the designs on the front, I went ahead and used fabric paint. It actually looks ok -- not nearly as good as I would have liked, but good enough. I'm just a perfectionist. My husband liked it anyways... For the triangle thingy on her corset, I bought teeny little seed beads that were too small to sew on, but were perfect for the dress. I cut out an inset of fabric to put the beads on and (don't laugh!) modge-podged them on. I painted the fabric with a layer, put each individual bead on with tweezers, and then used watered-down mp to layer on the sealer coats. It shockingly looks really good! Then I just sewed that onto the corset.

As for the fabric I was talking about, it's shown in the link above, with the doll pics. It is at JoAnn's for $6.99/yd. It's called micro-suede, and it is in the "scroll" design. It's too thin to be accurate, but it will work for those of you on a budjet, and will be good for wearing in convention centers, etc. because it's lighter.

19. Mrs_MayimNaar

Feb 14, 2002
    I found something at JoAnn's the other day that really made me think about the headress: lightweight, sewable Copper Wire-mesh. It is bendable and moldable like a soft metal, can be cut with regular scissors, and can be sewn like fabric! Plus it comes in copper, gold and silver.

It occurred to me that this would be great for creating the headress base. The braids could be glued to it or even sewn to it, and then a second layer could be sewn over the hair to create the copper part. You could then add sculpey or even copper fabric paint on top of that to get the full effect (it is too transparent to be used alone.

I am going to go back and purchase some for myself with my next %50 coupon -- I think it's like $8.99 for two sheets.

20. Padme_Girl

Padme_Girl Jedi Youngling

Jun 14, 2002
    hi i know that this conversation is probably over but i just wondered if anyone had seen the new pic on the star wars website?

http://www.starwars.com/episode-ii/imageattack/2002/09/img/ep2-1a-11145.jpg

hope this helps!

21. FERDALUMP

May 12, 2002
    Padme_Girl You Rock!!! :) :)
    Thanks so much for the pic. I hadn't seen it yet, and I am just about to tackle the sleeves for Sydney's costume. Yeah! Just in the nick of time.
    And YEAH!! I feel so good about the fabric I bought! Woo-Hoo! :) :) Ferd

22. Mrs_MayimNaar

Feb 14, 2002
    My husband just sent me an email with that pic in it! How awesome is it??

Figures -- now I have to redo the sleeves on my doll. 8-}

23. Jedi Girl of Corellia

Jun 23, 2000
    that picture is so amazing! The one part of the costume I thought I would have to do guess work on and there it is!!! Thank you!

24. Darth_Eagle

Darth_Eagle Jedi Master star 4

Jul 19, 2001
    Hope you all don't mind me putting the picture up here too! ;)

[image=http://www.starwars.com/episode-ii/imageattack/2002/09/img/ep2-1a-11145.jpg]

25. FERDALUMP

May 12, 2002
    Ok-I was working on the headpiece last night and actually just about finished it. It was painted and we were putting the hair into it when we put it on Sydney's head for the 12th time, it suddenly looked too long by an inch or so. ARGHHHH!! Luckily, I think it won't be too bad to cut down slightly. I want it to be noticeable, but not look like this huge thing sticking out of her head! LOL! :)

Anyone who saw it at CII, can you tell me approx how long it is from top to bottom?
    I know I have to scale it down for a 6 year old. I have several pictures of it, but would like an idea of inches to go from.

I have journaled all of this progress with pictures and will post them as soon as I can.

Ferd :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.