main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Padme Amidala Padme's Gold Picnic Dress v3.0

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by kay_dee, Feb 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 27, 2000
    Geez,I might have seen it on display, but my memories are soooo hazy. It's like I was in a dreamland the whole time I was there! LOL!

But I'd be glad to help you out with anything along the way. :)

2. cressie

cressie Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 12, 2006
    Hello all!

Wow I love this forum! I?ve been searching through this forum for the past two weeks and it?s been extremely helpful. I found this forum almost too late, I've already hand embroidered my corset. But thankfully I used a lot of the same techniques that are discussed here. I?ve just been too chicken to post anything. You guys may remember me from past Dragon-Cons and Rebel Legion- I was white battle Padme (untorn) and brown battle ep III Padme at Dragon-Con last year.

This dress is my absolute favorite of all the films. All of my other Padme/Leia costumes have just been practice for this one! I wanted to create this for my junior prom in 2002, but it has taken me years to perfect my sewing skills and to build my confidence to tackle this dress. So I?ve been planning this for awhile and it?s great to talk to other passionate picnic people!

So I started my version 1.0 Picnic dress the first of May and I?ve been working on it almost every night since.

Patterns used:
    I found the PERFECT corset pattern. It is the ?new look? brand from Walmart #6480. I used view ?C? without the decorative ribbons. It has the right number of panels! The only modifications were hook and eye tape instead of a zipper and I rounded the bottom of the front corset panel a little. I used Simplicity Costumes #4484 for the undershirt and Simplicity 8715 for the skirt.

For the under-material I used a heavy cotton blend that I dyed mustard-yellow. On the corset I used a semi-sheer golden fabric with a bit of sparkle over the cotton layer from Hancock?s. I know it is not the crinkled silk that a lot of people are using but it wrinkles great on its own especially with the embroidery and it was a lot cheaper than silk.

For the overskirt/under-top material I used 5 curtain panels from Wal-Mart called Dayton in gold. It is a lot darker in person than on the walmart website. I used this because the skirt/shirt is the easiest to upgrade in the future (and less time consuming than the corset) and I was just burned out from embroidering the corset. I just didn?t think I could handle the vineing on the skirt. I loved the feel and look of it on the mustard yellow cotton fabric- it looked like the perfect color without dying. Also, the crisscross design looks like vining after I got it on my dress form. I know it?s not exactly like the original but I?m happy with it and it took a lot less time.

Now I have a problem- I can?t get my shawl the right color. I bought the JC Penny shower curtain (Target also has the same design in a round table cloth which I cut up for the corset flowers) and I tried to dye it in RIT ½ box golden yellow,½ box tan, and a small dash of RIT brown (all of which I used for the inner fabric color) and it turned the tulle the correct color but the flowers turned brown/black and the green vineing remained the same. So my shawl now looks like a cape of death. :(

I only left it in the dye bath for 1 minute. Was that too long? I know someone mentioned 40 seconds. Can I put something on the flowers to protect it from the dye bath? Maybe clear glue? Any ideas? Thank goodness I found a roll of the rose embroidered tulle on e-bay so I can re-do this in time for dragon-con.

I?ll keep you posted on any new happenings and would greatly appreciate any hints/tips/ideas.

Loyal Picnic Lover,
    Cressie

3. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    Ohhh, I'm starting to get inspired to do a v.2 of my dress. It's a bit strange it was just my second SW costume ever and I was very happy with it when it was new, and it got me into RL, but now I would never put it on because I think it's too far from the original. At the same time I know that I don't have neither the time nor the money for a remake, especially since I would like to do other costumes for CE and C4 and if wanted to make a new picnic there wouldn't be time or money to spend on anything else. So now I'm wondering if I should slaughter my current skirt. I want to have a party picnic dress for the celebrations, meaning the bodice and skirt and maybe the cape but skipping the chemise and the buns. Strangely enought the chemise and buns are probably the most accurate on my costume. Since I don't want to use the current skirt as a costume maybe it's just easier to shorten it for the party version instead of making a totally new one. On the other hand the skirt in total has 27 m of hem, and I'm not sure I want to just throw all the work away. Well I have some time to think about it at least.

4. Benae_Quee

Benae_Quee Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 15, 2002
    Regarding the dying of the roses...

I remember from 6 years ago in Art Club, we did neat dye experiment with plain tee shirts and parafin wax. The teacher applied the parafin with a pen-like tool and then dyed the shirt. She then boiled the shirt (after it had dried) to remove the wax and it was white underneath. I think she set the dye first, because I don't remember the shirt losing any color to it. I think if you tried it on a swatch of the cape material first (putting wax on both sides of the clusters), dye it, boil it, and see what happens. I vaguely remember something about an iron, but I wouldn't recomend it on the tulle.

5. kay_dee

kay_dee Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2002
    I know when I test dyed a scrap of my walmart curtain the roses took up the dye quickly. I figured I'd have to try using a gutta resist (they have other things easier to use than parafin wax) when it came time to dye my new shawl, but never got around to experimenting with what I purchased. You can check out the different types of resists sold by Dharma and choose the right kind for your dye technique.

Good luck with your costume!

6. Lady-Hermione

Lady-Hermione Jedi Master star 1

Jul 15, 2003
    Hello, everyone! I have been obsessing over the picnic dress for several months; I must have visited The Padawan's Guide at least once a day to gape at all the costumes that you guys have made. :) I hope to make one for DragonCon 2007. Of course, that means I have to learn to sew!

I decided to begin my venture into this new hobby by buying an easy pattern to learn to make a simple skirt. When I saw this from cressie:

...I got very excited. I bought that same pattern yesterday; I am using it to learn to make that skirt just to practice basic sewing, but I also got it because I thought I could eventually use it for the corset on the picnic dress! I'm so happy to see that someone else noticed the pattern too!

It probably won't be until at least next year until I begin my own picnic dress (I have much to learn before attempting something so elaborate), but I was wondering if the more experienced costumers here could answer a question I have. I am just wondering how much it usually costs to make such costumes-- the picnic dress, particularly? I've gotta start saving some pennies. :)

Thanks, everyone!

7. MiraxTHorn

MiraxTHorn Jedi Master star 4

Aug 22, 2000
    I took a look at this pattern. It does look pretty close with the modifications you mentioned. One thing to look at, though, are the relative widths of the front center and front side panels. I don't think they are wide enough as is. You might want to study some of the close-ups of the real thing, and try laying your embroidery pattern over a muslin mock-up of the front three panels to check it.

Just a suggestion from someone who's been there! :)

Regards,
    M.

8. MiraxTHorn

Aug 22, 2000
    While going back through all the pages of v3.0, I came across this suggestion from Ferd. Don't you think a yellowish T-shirt with the embroidery screen-printed on it and some kind of cute saying would be a hoot at cons? If anyone wanted to explore this idea, I think it would be really fun!

Regards,
    M.

9. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Jan 27, 2000
    Wow, it's great to see new picnic faces in here! :)

Lady-Hermione, I think the question of cost really comes down to how much you are willing to spend on it. If you go the route of trying to make it screen accurate with close to the same fabrics used then it will be more expensive. The costume is primarily made from real silks and many of us have found that in order to achieve the right color we've had to hand dye our own. So you could also be looking at the cost of dyes and all the accessories needed to go with them. If you opt for pre-dyed non-silk fabric it may cost you less but may not be as accurate.

The other thing to consider with the fabric is how much you want to use. The skirt on this costume is extremely full, fuller than what a lot of the commercial patterns call for, so you might opt to add fullness to your pattern along the way.

I think I may have posted somewhere along the line how much I thought I spent on my last version, but I don't really remember! [face_blush] It was quite a bit...maybe Mirax will come across it as she culls through this thread. I just can't recall. (I'm a new mom suffering from chronic sleep deprivation. My memory is shot! LOL!)

Here are some links to online silk sources to give you an idea of prices (plus, these are good sources for silk):

Thai Silks crinkle silk chiffon
    Dharma Trading Co. silk chiffon (not crinkled)

Dharma is also a good place for ordering dyes. I used a combo of their Fiber Reactive Procion dyes in the marigold and camel hues.

Mirax, that T-shirt idea is so fun! If I was going to a con I'd wear one...but I doubt I'll be at any anytime soon.

10. spacelady

spacelady Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    The other thing to consider with the fabric is how much you want to use. The skirt on this costume is extremely full, fuller than what a lot of the commercial patterns call for, so you might opt to add fullness to your pattern along the way.

Oh yeah. The actual skirt was 50 yards. So it's a lot fuller than what patterns call for. :p And even that is an understatement. [face_laugh] :p

Btw... I've been researching the skirt a lot, cause my sequins aren't just gonna sit around forever. ;) And I know how the top layer is gold, and the bottom layer is dyed pink and yellow all over, but there's one thing I can't just quite figure out. :p How sheer is the actual top layer? It's probably pretty sheer isn't it, otherwise, why would they make the bottom layer pink and yellow? And it can't be just for looks, cause no one can see it. [face_laugh]

Thanks a lot! :D

~Spacelady

11. lessien

lessien Jedi Youngling

May 7, 2006
    Could you give me please your address because I want to send you the payment.[face_praying]
    I very too much delayed with the examinations, the holidays...
    Thank you !

Lessien

PS : sorry for my english

12. kay_dee

Jun 15, 2002

Um, I don't think any skirt uses 50 yards of fabric. There was a 50 yard quote from Trisha on the entire costume, and seriously now that I've seen the real one and mapped out my pattern I don't think this costume uses 50 yards. It's got to be a misquote or misinformation (we know there are misquotes and wrong info in the book as well). It's just a 2 layer circle skirt. 3 panels total (from what we could tell a half circle in front, 2 quarter circles making up the back).

I think we mentioned when we got back from FIDM that the top layer and bottom layer are both sheer crinkled chiffon of the same weight and weave. This is roughly a 11mm (at the thickest, but I doubt it) or 8mm weight crinkled chiffon (maybe something in between). Your guess on the splotchy dye job on the lower layer is as good as mine. Maybe it acts as a funny sort of camouflage so that the skirt can be sheer while obscuring the clear outline of her legs underneath? (just a guess).

- kay dee

13. ewok78

ewok78 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 20, 2005
    Can you tell me how many yards or meters you use for the skirt and the blouse ?

what do you think about this ?

http://cgi.befr.ebay.be/DRESSMAKING-CRINKLED-SILK-CHIFFON-FABRIC-BY-YD-L-BarK_W0QQitemZ120011933025QQihZ002QQcategoryZ28158QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

14. CrimsonVision

CrimsonVision Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 4, 2002
    Totally random note that I had to share with you ladies. Last night I was watching 'War of the Worlds' while duitfully sewing for DC; I'd never seen it before so I figured if it was bad I'd pay more attention to the sewing. ;)

Anyways. At one part when Tom, his daughter and that other guy are hiding in the bunker they show a shot of the Aliens through some curtains. I laughed and exclaimed 'Hey, thats the Padme picnic shawl curtain!'.

My Fiance looked at me and just shook his head. ;)

EDIT: Found a screencap of it:

[image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v483/CrimsonVision/DakotaWOTWSC475.jpg]

15. Obi Anne

Nov 4, 1998
    the 50 yard quote, isn't it possible that that's a quote for the hemline or something?

16. Lady-Hermione

Lady-Hermione Jedi Master star 1

Jul 15, 2003
    50 yards for a skirt? :eek: That's scary, spacelady. lol

Thanks for your replies. Obi-Dawn Kenobi, I think since it will be my first try at a costume, I probably will not be too obsessive with detail in regards to fabric and exact colors. (Then again, I dreamt about making this costume last night, so who knows where I'll be when I actually start! Ha ha!) I just want to make something that is recognizable as the picnic dress, and looks as close as possible without devoting an unreasonable amount of time and money to it. Though the definition of "unreasonable" probably varies a great deal around here... lol! :)

Thank you for the fabric links. $4.15 a yard isn't nearly as bad as I imagined-- as long as I don't need 50 yards, that is! ;) And congratulations on being a new mom... here's wishing you a long, relaxing nap sometime in the near future! :)

That's so cool about the curtains, CrimsonVision! Great screencap! Do they still sell those at Target or Wal-Mart? If they do, I probably better go pick some up now and hang on to them.

17. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Jan 27, 2000
    Thanks! I could use a good nap. :)
    I haven't seen the curtains at Target but maybe Wal*Mart still carries them?

I agree that the old 50 yard quote from Biggar sounds very wrong. My skirt is not a circle skirt, so I used roughly 12 yards...maybe? But surely not 50!

Annnnndddddddd....my sequins just arrived! They look incredible and there are SOOOOOO many! Fantastic!
    Thank you Mirax. I love them! :D

18. kay_dee

Jun 15, 2002
    Don't think that's how big the hem line is (a few yards yes, not 50).

BTW, I mis-typed when I said I don't think any skirt uses 50 yards. I mean any picnic skirt. Well, if someone makes their skirt 3 layers rather than 2 they could maybe get close to 30-35 yards.

Sorry, it's been a while since I layed out my patterns and I can not tell anyone how much fabric to purchase. (As it is I just looked through my bins of patterns and can't find my circle skirt pattern. It's lost in my sewing room some place) I really think it's best to purchase your patterns or design your patterns, then get the appropriate amount of fabric for your version of the design. Off the top of my head I *think* my commercial circle skirt pattern required about 8 yards of 60" wide fabric. At one point I considered making my skirt 3 half circles and I think I needed closer to 12 yards for each layer (double that and it's 24 yards). None of these are exact quotes though since I can't find my patterns at the moment.

Just find your own patterns, and double the amount of fabric it calls for since the top and skirt need 2 layers of fabric. (each item is doubled over itself).

19. Obi Anne

Nov 4, 1998
    Forgot to answer this post in my last post.

Anyway I think that since we are so spread out it would be hard to make t-shirts and organise the shipping and handling, but what if we found someone who cold make a some kind of graphic that we could just have hosted somewhere on the net. Then everyone who was interested could just download it and take it to a local printer that makes t-shirt and have it done. Of course that would probably mean that we would have to go white on the t-shirts but I think it would be a lot easier. Then of course we would need to find someone who could make the graphic for us.

edit/ grammar is evil

20. Benae_Quee

Benae_Quee Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 15, 2002
    http://www.zazzle.com/product/235943867201100622

This is just a mock-up for now. I took Obi-Dawn's drawing, cleaned it up in Photoshop (removed the paper texture) and then colored it. Unfortunately, it won't let me make the image any bigger on the shirt :( It would be nice to have the design on the whole front, and not just near the top.The back can say something else if people want. What about something like...

You know you're a picnic costumer if...
    1.) You obsess over the color and size of a sequin
    2.) You bought curtains for your house to match your dress
    3.) Your friends call you Trisha
    4.) blah blah blah, insert text here :)

I can make a mug too :D That would really set us over the top, drinking coffee out of a mug with the picnic embroidery on it LOL

21. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Jan 27, 2000
    OMG! Benae that shirt is hilarious! I think I need to order one. :D

22. kay_dee

Jun 15, 2002
    Cute shirt idea. I'd probably leave off the 'of the' and just say something like:

Padme Meadow Picnic Costumer
    TheForce.Net
    Costuming & Props

The other ideas are cute too.

BTW - My Sequins Arrived! A big thanks to Mirax for all of this, she's making many or our picnic dreams come true :) The color is off-white (it doesn't look as what as what mirax photographed). So, I still stand by this color as being the best choice out of the colors we were given to choose from on the card. If she hadn't said they were slightly lighter I wouldn't have noticed (and I'm the one who picked the color).

I hope that makes people feel better.

- kay dee

23. MiraxTHorn

Aug 22, 2000
    I love the shirt idea! Too cute! I'd buy one!

I spent several hours last night gathering data for the next thread. I've got a few more pages to go through and then I'll need to put it all together with kay-dee and Dawn's previous summary. We should be ready to launch v4.0 some time early next week.

The second box arrived today, so sequins for everyone who's paid so far will be shipped tomorrow. I'm printing labels now. There are still 18 people on the list who haven't paid, three of whom have let me know they will be doing so next week. If everyone else could do so as quickly as they can, I would appreciate it. I need to get the sequins out of the way so I can get my patterns back out and get to work! :)

I really hope you're all happy with how everything turned out!

Regards,
    M.

24. PadawansGuide

PadawansGuide Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 26, 2002
    I would totally be in with the Picnic t-shirt idea too! Maybe cafepress could do the shirts or something?

I got my sequins today too (so many sequins!) - they are so great - thank you Mirax!!

Now I guess I'm going to have to redo my costume one of these days. Or years! :) I'd definitely use crinkle fabric next time. It's going to be a while before I redo it though - the first one just about did me in! :)

Actually, I will be interested to see how easy these sequins are to sew through. The ones I used were so hard, they would just break when the needle hit them. Which is why I glued them on. That worked just fine, so I might do that again.

25. JainaMSolo

JainaMSolo Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 19, 2001
    My sequins are heeeeeeere! And there are about eighty bajillion of them! YAAAAAAAAY!

I love you Mirax!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.