main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Padme Amidala Padme's green velvet robe from Episode 3

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by jedilucass, Dec 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Polly_Padme

Polly_Padme Jedi Youngling

Jun 6, 2008
    Many thanks,Kay_Dee!))
    So,someone find lining fabric and I remember,that it was a very identical from the original.

2. Polly_Padme

Jun 6, 2008
    Oh,I have a very hard day today...So,this is results of my hunting on fabric:
    [image=http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c209/Padmochka/Fabrics/3970_1.jpg]
    [image=http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c209/Padmochka/Fabrics/99de_1.jpg]
    [image=http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c209/Padmochka/Fabrics/a3a2_1.jpg]
    [image=http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c209/Padmochka/Fabrics/washedtourmaline.jpg]
    [image=http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c209/Padmochka/Fabrics/6fb2_1.jpg]

What you say about my hunting,girls?May be I found fabric,which is so close to the original?

3. kay_dee

kay_dee Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2002
    Well, you just reposted a link to a photo of the washed tourmaline green from Thai Silks that Obi-Dawn and I had shown people earlier in this thread. We are trying to help you by telling you that yes, that is the closest velvet you will find right now. The others you are finding are not going to look as close as tourmaline.

4. Polly_Padme

Jun 6, 2008
    Thanks for sugestions,Kay_Dee))[face_blush]

5. Polly_Padme

Jun 6, 2008
    Sorry for wrong question about another gown.But,I'am found on Ebay perfect fabrics for Senate gown from Ep.I
    I'am in making that gown but,I'am afraid to choose wrong fabric.Here are links:

http://cgi.ebay.com/100-THAI-SILK-TAFFETA-CLOTHING-FABRIC-SUPER-ORANGE_W0QQitemZ150260380483QQihZ005QQcategoryZ28158QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/Lot-of-2-Orange-Wrap-Shawl-Wedding-Bridal-Satin-Taffeta_W0QQitemZ160183183326QQihZ006QQcategoryZ63861QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/Silk-Taffeta-fabric-iridescent-orange-54-wide-bridal_W0QQitemZ230263596361QQihZ013QQcategoryZ28158QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/Silk-TAFFETA-Fabric-BRIGHT-ORANGE-By-The-Yard_W0QQitemZ380038359343QQihZ025QQcategoryZ28158QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

I'am found them and so afraid to choose wrong fabric((Girls,help me to choose identicate fabric!)
    Anybody know how can I contact with Scalper?She's create a very perfect replica of Senate gown..

Many big Sorry for wrong post.((

6. kay_dee

Jun 15, 2002
    Polly, we like to keep the costume topics to the threads they belong to. So this question about Padme Amidala Ep I dress fabric belongs here: http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=4141465

You should re-post it there please. Thanks :)

7. Polly_Padme

Jun 6, 2008
    Kay_Dee,this thread is locked((Oh,I need your help,girls with Senate gown from Ep.I!((So crying(:_|

8. kay_dee

Jun 15, 2002
    If you ever need a thread unlocked, go to the link that says "mods online" at the top or contact the forum Mod Sister_Sola and request for it to be unlocked.

For now, I've contacted an online mod to do it since you didn't know. I'm not a mod, so I don't have any administrative powers on this forum. The EpI Queen Amidala Thread is now Unlocked :)

By-the-way, how many costumes are you making Polly? And if you are a beginner making these costumes yourself, I might suggest starting with something a little easier than EpI Queen Amidala. Just my advise. Unless you have someone at home with a lot of skill and experience that is making all of these for you (or helping with parts of it). Most of us just don't have time to hold anyone's hand and tell them step by step what to do. You need to have a little sewing knowledge (or a lot for a complex Queen Amidala costume) to pull this off.

9. Polly_Padme

Jun 6, 2008
    Oh,that's very bad,because that topic locked((
    Kay_Dee,I'am sew since I was seven years old.So,I have about 11 years of sewing.My mom good sewing man,but she don't like make strange costumes and she said,that I have a great skills for sewing.Yes,it is,but I'am still have a problem with fabrics))So,I need only help with identicate fabrics for some gowns.Only Star Wars I'am begin to sew last 2 years.I'am creating for my friends and do a lot of work.Now,I'am want to create myself,because that's not happy to sew beautiful gowns for others not for yourself.So,may be you can PM me to help with fabrics for Amidala Senate gown from Ep.I?

I'll be happy to read your words,Kathy)

10. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 27, 2000
    If I recall correctly, a topic will re-lock itself if no one posts a new message in it within 24 hours of being unlocked. Perhaps that's what happened to the Amidala thread.

11. kay_dee

Jun 15, 2002
    Oh well. When Polly is ready to have it unlocked she can PM a "Mod Online" above when she is ready. Now I know why SisterSola posts 'opened and bumped' or whatever she does. LOL! It was unlocked, I had checked after the mod told me she did it.

Polly - I don't know a thing about the Ep I queen amidala gown. In fact, most of us can't tell you what fabric to buy just by seeing scans of swatches you post. We all know from shopping online that we often have unpleasant surprises because the photo a fabric store can post often looks so different than it really appears in person once we order it. The only reason I knew which green velvet you should order for this gown is because I recently was looking into making this costume. So I'd already ordered a lot of those swatches you posted. :)

12. Polly_Padme

Jun 6, 2008
    Oh,so hard to working with that forum))That's new for me)

So,Kay_Dee,and how looked that swatches,which you ordered?What real close to the original?

13. kay_dee

Jun 15, 2002
    I already told you this above. Look upward :) Thai Silks - Tourmaline Green? I've said this a few times and already gave you a link a few posts back.

14. hyperspace_police

hyperspace_police Jedi Master star 4

Jun 22, 2005
    Sometimes with this gown... It's a good idea to request a swatch/sample and see how it takes to emobssing... Cause some velvets emboss better than others.

I've made this dress... And that was the pain in the hiney part.

Can't remember where I got my fabric from but, it shipped from over seas... I love the gown... Just not the amount of work that the embossing took...

15. victorian-tea-rose

victorian-tea-rose Jedi Youngling

Jul 11, 2008
    I am currently working on my rendition of this gown. Technically 2 of them. I bought 2 different kinds of velvet. I'm going to make both and decide on which one I'm going to keep and sell the other one. I'm nearly done with the first one. I just have to add the sash, put on the symbols and make the brooch. I've been working on it after work and on weekends for about 3 weeks now. This is my first Star Wars costume and I've been totally bitten by the costuming bug! Gee, I bought one of the green velvets back in 2005 when I saw this robe in promo ads, etc. and I'm just now getting to start it, sad! But I've got my sewing room all set up and ready to go to town sewing all the costumes I've been dreaming up for awhile. This one's been fun and I can't wait to see how the final product turns out. Hopefully, I've worked out some of the bugs I've had before I do the next one so it should hopefully go a little faster and smoother! I'd like to post photos on the board, but I don't know how. Can anyone help me with that? Thanks-

16. princessleia911

princessleia911 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 25, 2005
    The best way to post photos is to use a site like Flickr or photobucket and then link the pics here. Both are free to sign up for an acct.

17. victorian-tea-rose

Jul 11, 2008
    Okay. I will do that, thanks!

18. Darth_Eagle

Darth_Eagle Jedi Master star 4

Jul 19, 2001
    Oh don't worry. ;) Just ask me how many of my SW Costuming projects are on hold ever since I got bitten by the Costuming Bug in 1999. Think my TPM Black Sabe Outfit has the longest record; started collecting materials etc since 2000 and still haven't done a single thing!

Even for this Green Robe, I did went only as far as getting the Satin and Pongee for the Inner Dress but it kinda get kept aside due to other more important projects popping up and I can't afford the Velvet as have to order it from US (I live in Singapore and getting good velvet here at reasonable price since need a lot, let alone the color I need, is HARD).

So it's never to late to start and complete your Costumes. ;)

19. victorian-tea-rose

Jul 11, 2008
    Glad to know I'm not the only procrastinator! I swear I have pieces and parts of sooo many costumes! When I see the perfect material, etc., I just have to get it right then and there. I know I won't find it again when I need it. Most of the materials for movie costumes are so elusive I just can't pass up the opportunity when something comes up!

20. victorian-tea-rose

Jul 11, 2008
    I'm almost finished with Green Gown Version 1. I just have to make the sash and put on the Naboo symbols. This one has basically been my "muslin" if you will. I have definitely learned a lot. The only thing I'm really unhappy with is the way the sleeves hang. They look great when the arms are extended out, but hang funny when they're at the sides. I don't know how I'm going to fix that for the next version since I don't exactly know what's causing it. Here are some pics for anyone who may be interested in seeing it:
    ]

21. victorian-tea-rose

Jul 11, 2008
    Here's more
    [image=http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3133/2777139898_d2d72fed5e_b.jpg]

[image=http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3295/2776285917_c3b142ee26_b.jpg]

22. Takianna

Takianna Jedi Master star 3

Apr 22, 2005
    Great job! Those are some great pics. Love the robe. I so want to make this. Maybe it could be a winter project.

23. Neimhaille

Neimhaille Jedi Master star 3

May 12, 2002
    :) I think what has happened is that the lining fabric doesn't stretch as much as the outer and you have topstitched around the sleeve opening. This makes the sleeve opening hang open quite stiffly and the weight of the sleeve hang all on the lining, and the outer fabric bunch or ripple over it. I would omit the top stitching around the sleeve opening, the original has piping around the opening which creates a softer rounder edge.
    Also the sleeve has a different seaming to most modern sleeves, there is a front seam which rotates the opening to sit in front of the arm not the outside, the seam is also quite curved to get a gentle kick up at the edge. Interesting open dart in the back of the sleeve too.

Hope this helps :) You might be able to just turn you current sleeve pattern so that the seam on the outside of the arm sits at the front and then recut the top of the sleeve. The sleeve head will then look like an S on its side rather than a C on its side.

24. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 27, 2000
    Thanks for the description of the sleeve shape, Neimhaille. It's helpful. :)

victorian-tea-rose, you're off to a good start. You mentioned this as your muslin, are you planning a redo? Your brooch is lovely, btw! (And I dig those black and white shoes in the background.)

25. victorian-tea-rose

Jul 11, 2008
    Yeah, this one is my "muslin", hence the less expensive panne velvet which is not an ideal fabric to use due to the sheen and stretchiness. I figured it works for a first run before I cut into the good stuff. Depending on how it turns out, I will try selling it on ebay or something. I am not crazy about the sleeves at all. Unfortunately, being new at analyzing and dissecting patterns, I am having a difficult time figuring out how to actually fix those for the next version. I understand the advice, just not how to actually draw and implement it, you know? It actually looks pretty nice on. The flash photo makes it look much more shiny than it actually is and looks shapeless on the hanger. Maybe when it's all finished I will get brave enough to put it on for a better pic with the hoop under it, etc.

Yeah, I'm a bit of a shoe fanatic as you can see...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.