main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Padu, KY Paducah Imperials Mission Statement

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by pacervader, Jan 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pacervader

pacervader Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 27, 2005
    I am so excited about all of the work each member has contributed to our Saga Weekend. As a dependable leader, always thinking into the future, I would love for us to be able to ponder the next stage of this club beyond this event as well. I would like for this thread to begin a collaboration of a mission statement for our FanForce, (what we like, expectations, hopes to accomplish, and boundaries). I would really like to know everyone?s ideas with regards to voting on officers such as Treasurer, Secretary, so on and so forth. We could also vote on our club dues and bi-laws. With these guidelines in order, along with our mission statement, we should really be able to have a strong following to the already awesome beginning of this excellent chapter. If each member would or could take a few minutes during the week to post their ideas and thoughts on our mission statement, that would really be appreciated. I hope everyone is excited about the growth of the NEW Mid-West Chapter and Garrison, I know I am!

2. LordINVAR

LordINVAR Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 13, 2002
    I agree that the club has thusfar has started out well, with plenty of enthusiasm, ideas and involvement. It would be good to keep it that way.

As past experience with other Fanforce chapters and groups have taught - just because it is starting out well, does not mean it will remain that way.

So a word of caution to consider: often, and recently - those seeking positions of authority, those who are not mature with authority, those who seek to run their authority like an iron fist, various political and alternate club agendas trying to be the dominant agenda and those who are involved to GET from the club as opposed to what they can contribute to the club - have led to fractures, splits, wars between groups and generally a loss of membership and any desire for involvement in some Fanforce groups.

This risk will be ever-present, and one our members must be conscious of and guard against - or the unpleasant examples of some clubs will be visited upon ours, and the awesome start this Fanforce is experiencing now will fade as quickly as it has arisen.

That said - my suggestion is that this Fanforce's main mission should be one of FUN. A place like-minded fans can come to share with others all the various aspects of what they enjoy about the Saga and where the pure fun of Star Wars can be experienced and honed into different activities and events. FUN. Fun just getting together for discussions, fun for things like diorama workshops, custom workshops, costuming, collecting/trading, movie and entertainment opportunities as a group, etc.

We can also use this community while having fun, towards works of service in this area, as a way to use and bring the fun of the Star Wars saga to helping and doing things for others. Everything from Parades to D.A.R.E. programs and fundraisers for local charities. It will give the club a purpose besides just a hang-out for geeks like me.

Fun would be the key word though. Once it becomes a chore and is no longer fun - clubs of this sort wane quickly.

Those are probably things we should decide while in session and not necessarily on a public forum. Most will want to have some kind of voting mechanism for club Officers and such - and unless the TFN Fanforce itself has requirements we must follow - adopting bylaws and a constitution of governing principles should be things the originating members of the chapter should decide together, so that their vision can be placed within the function and succession of offices so that it does not become lost down the road by future club leadership. There should be and remain a club board most likely to ensure among other things, decisions for the club, and so forth.

The aspects of dues and so forth, also should be decided in-session. The club should probably strive to be non-profit, or it faces tax liabilities it may not need.

3. pacervader

Jun 27, 2005
    You are right-Thank you for your sincere words of wisdom and the thoughtfulness you bring to the discussions. I could not agree more about this club being fun and would prefer that all voting that takes place, does so within the confines of a closed physical meeting of the members. It sounds as though you have had some experience with this LordInVar, so your guidance is truly thought-provoking. I am happy that I have found true fans who enjoy the same aspects of the saga as I do and I hope that as this grows we are able to maintain that same passion as this club was founded on.

4. TKYTROOPER

TKYTROOPER Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 18, 2005
    I agree we need both a M.S. and officers and I agree they are things better discussed in person. Might I suggest a special meeting for discussing these topics as well as any new ones that arise after Saga weekend. Not only do we probably need to focus on that for the next couple of weeks but hopefully Saga weekend will expand our local ranks. What do you guys think?

5. pacervader

Jun 27, 2005
    I agree we do need to have a meeting exclusivly for hammering this thing out outside of our regular meeting. Our regular meetings don't need to be bogged down with this stuff they need to be fun.

6. LordTreyger

LordTreyger Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 3, 2006
    I agree with everything that has been posted but I feel that our top priority is the planning of the saga weekend. Since this is going to be our first appearance in the community it is important that it goes off without a hitch. Still be a newcomer it looks to me that the people involved especially at the last meeting are all on the same page about wanting our chapter to succeed, and that is a great way to get things started.

I think if possible we should have a meeting a few days after the Saga and reflect to correct any errors so they don't happen at future events and then begin planning that future.

I am very pleased and excited with my involvement in the Paducah IMP'S!

See you all on Wednesday. Oh and one last thing we now have two troopers in our ranks, Congrats.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.