main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Art Archive Paintings/Artwork by wick - Updated 9/2/05 "Morning Patrol"

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by wicktone, Aug 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wicktone

wicktone Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 30, 2003
    Pot, kettle, black, Deb! When are you going to submit some of your stuff to LFL, Topps, or whoever? I'll do it if you do it. :D

2. FalconFan

FalconFan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 25, 2004
    [face_thinking]
    [face_worried]

[face_chicken]

Non-sequitor!

;)

FF

3. ArtyEwok

ArtyEwok LFL Artist star 4 VIP

Mar 18, 1999
    Sweet stuff as usual, Wick :)

4. wicktone

Dec 30, 2003
    lol

The chicken face was a convincing argument...

5. Corellian_Rogue

Corellian_Rogue Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 30, 2001
    Great work Wick! Love the background, with the suggestion of horizon and that atomsphere trails are gorgeous! I love how you handle the complexities brought on by metallic surfaces, I think I've said once before but you truly are a master of reflections/light. Tis amazing on so many levels, as are you. Not only highly capable with people, scenery and environments but mech style too. I think you went back for seconds when they were handing out talent didn't you? :)

*jumps on crazy bandwagon to get Wick and Falcon working for somewhere their art can be seen everywhere*

Oh and I'm getting a copy of Painter this week! *jumps about like a fool*

And about the shrimp on the barbie thing, that's cool. But you mention Steve Irwin and I'll have to resort to drastic measures!

*measures woodchuck up for cement shoes*

;)

6. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    Beautiful picture, but I have a technical question relating to all the art I view on these boards, and I feel you are the one to answer it:

my monitor is very dark, leading me to move any picture I view, artwork or photograph, into Paintshop Pro and alter the gamma value. Your own work is a main offender in this problem, your bountyhunter picture of a month-or-two ago initially appearing on my screen as a black pannel with murky-reddish highlights around the character's forehead and hands.

In order to see the picture I increase the gamma to 4, where by the murk resolves itself into becoming a man (and a very cool picture, I might add).

How can I tell what brightness-level you intend me to see your work? I'm guessing that most of mine appears very light on your monitor, and occasionally I adjust it as I know my monitor-picture is dark, but I never know by how much to adjust it.

Is there some sort of test-picture we can all use to calibrate our pictures, or am I stuck guessing for everybody's work?

Okay, I think I'm done now.

7. odj_310388

odj_310388 Jedi Knight star 5

May 30, 2002
    Nice work wick, just wondering how that would work with the wings? They seem to be able to fold in some way but I just cant see it right...

8. wicktone

Dec 30, 2003
    This is a very good question. I use Adobe Gamma to calibrate my monitor, and I check it every couple of weeks. If you don't have Adobe Gamma, there are little exercises you can do to manually calibrate your monitor; Jasc has one here:

http://www.jasc.com/support/kb/articles/monitor.asp

There are also little light-reader looking gadgets that you can buy that you place against your monitor which will calibrate it extremely accurately.

Calibration slips every couple of months, so you need to recheck it about every 8 weeks if you're really concerned with accuracy (I keep on top of mine because I need to verify colours for four-colour press printing and the like). So if you've had your monitor for, say, three years, you can imagine how poorly calibrated it might become over that time period if the settings are never changed.

9. Lippy

Lippy Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 14, 2004
    You should BOTH go! where do you both live, cause If it was close you could hook up and compare notes at a local convention!

10. Your_Worshipfulness

Your_Worshipfulness Jedi Youngling star 2

May 21, 2005
    *jumps on crazy bandwagon to get Wick and Falcon working for somewhere their art can be seen everywhere*

I'm hopping onboard too! :D

"And about the shrimp on the barbie thing, that's cool. But you mention Steve Irwin and I'll have to resort to drastic measures!"

How about Paul Hogan, CR? [face_devil] + Congrats on the acquisition. (Yes, I'm jealous)

-----------
    "I'm offended, I tell you! I love that woodchuck of indiscernible gender. I admit, perhaps I should have seen the signs of a deeper problem when it began chucking less and less wood, but I'm no doctor. And that woodchuck loves to model its lingerié... how could I deny it that which it adores? I can't help it if it wants to buy me expensive gifts as a way to repay my tireless support and friendship."

Hmph. It's funny how all the sudden it's gained so much attention from you as soon as gifts are involved. Tireless support and friendship, my foot! It's starving for affection and doesn't know how else to go about in receiving it from you, it's supposed 'caretaker'.

"And believe me, I'll be putting that solid gold monster truck to a good use."

...Is that a threat? You're not going to ignore my 'exception' rule, are you? *suddenly feels unsafe as she looks nervously out the window*

---

Nifty looking ship. I like how you put in the subtle, softer lined work for a mechanical-panelled look. You know your skillful in lighting and how much I enjoy it, but I really find the 'glare' on the side of the ship appealing. You can see that the shape is very smooth by your handling of colouring and it's got some decent little details put into it.
    The 10 min bg actually suits it. The simplicity of it draws all your attention to the ship, which was the main focus to begin with, so it works.

Anyways, you could have easily gone the complete lazy route (something which I probably would have done), and simply applied a motion blur effect to the bg, stating that the ship is travelling at such a high velocity that nothing can be seen clearly.

- Suz ^_~

11. soitscometothis

Jul 11, 2003
    Thanks for the info, wick. My monitor is still something of a problem, I've had to up the gamma using my display adapter in setup because my monitor's manual controls are maxed out, but at least I've got an idea about what I'm aiming for. Thanks again.

12. aurelia-acc

aurelia-acc Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 14, 2005
    I knew I had missed something being away from the boards .
    What a beautiful artwork wick, I'm always amazed by yourwork with light and reflection and the details on the ship look so precise . I also love how you rendered the atmosphere . That's just great =D=

13. wicktone

Dec 30, 2003
    This is just a sketch I did tonight for fun, nothing terribly interesting. I'll reply to comments and PMs tomorrow... I'm about to fall asleep at the keyboard.

[image=http://www.sharpfish.net/at_st.jpg]

14. Kenu

Kenu Jedi Youngling star 1

May 22, 2005
    Man, I leave the net for a few weeks and I come back and your stuff is amazing as ever, and I can actually see improvement. Wonderful work!

15. The_Dark_Knight

The_Dark_Knight Jedi Master star 4

Jul 15, 2004
    Looking good Wick. Great job.

16. soitscometothis

Jul 11, 2003
    This is just a sketch I did tonight for fun, nothing terribly interesting

I hate you.

17. TroubledAnakin

TroubledAnakin Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 18, 2004
    Allright...let me just get this straight. You. sketched an AT-ST for fun.

I agree with Soitscometothis...I hate you too.

I couldn't have drawn that AT-ST as a sketch and ended up with anything like that - and I certainly wouldn't have attempted it for fun

*glowers*

Lovely work, but then, you already knew that!

18. wicktone

Dec 30, 2003
    Catching up since I was too lazy to do this last night...

Hardly! I saw your background on your Qui-Gon and Dooku piece and I know how intricately you can draw; you can't fool me now. ;)

The_Dark_Knight - thanks, man.

Thanks. Drawing that little droid was my probably favorite part for reasons unknown...

ArtyEwok - thank you.

That's awesome! I can't wait to see what you come up with in Painter. You'll love it, I swear... it'll change your life! Or possibly that's slightly over-dramatic, but it's great nonetheless.

Check. Note to self: cancel hyperactive zoologist jumping out of cake for Corellian Rogue's birthday party.

I don't think they actually fold up. The pencil sketch of it didn't seem to indicate that... actually, now that you mention it, I kind of want them to fold up. Hrm.

Just so the people at home don't feel left out, I've decided to make the notes I intend to bring to this hypothetical meeting available to the public. Don't say I never do anything for you all!

[image=http://www.sharpfish.net/convention_notes.jpg]

... writing letters backwards is really hard.

I'm shocked by your implication... shocked! My woodchuck and I merely prefer to show our affection and respect for each other through the art of mime. Someone like you would never understand...

That depends on whether I'm feeling altruistic. I suppose I should give you a break this time since you did perform

19. Daughter_Of_TheForce

Daughter_Of_TheForce Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 1, 2001
    I can't think of anything original to say right now, so ditto what everybody else said. :p :)

20. academygrad88

academygrad88 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 6, 2004
    I like your Debari drawing. Now, if I concentrate and work at it really, really hard I probably could come close to drawing as well as that quick Debari sketch you did. ;)

I love your AT-ST you did for fun. Very impressive!!

Oh yeah, I hate you too! :p (sort of like how I hate good looking thin women who can eat anything and not gain an ounce! Grrrr!!!!:mad: )

AG88

21. Otis_Frampton

Otis_Frampton LFL Artist, Moderator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 7, 2001
    Wicktone sucks . . .

. . . in Bizarro world.

-Otis

22. TroubledAnakin

TroubledAnakin Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 18, 2004
    This thread always makes me laugh. That's why I catch up every morning. *is in fits of giggles*

Yes, maybe I can draw intricately...if I really want to. But not in ten minutes. *leer* The background on that piece, being lineart alone, took at least ten minutes of just -thinking-, and an hour on top of it for actual drawing x.x

*still laughing, goes and finds something else to comment on*

23. odj_310388

odj_310388 Jedi Knight star 5

May 30, 2002
    Hey wick, congrats on your Daily Deviation Feature on Deviant art! :D

24. Corellian_Rogue

Corellian_Rogue Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 30, 2001
    Great AT-ST, I really love the palette you've developed for these Hoth style pics...you really work the metal to bring out the sheer coldness of the place. And with that splash of gorgeous red it's truly an eye-catcher and wonderful piece. Beautiful technique and design aside, I couldn't help but giggle when I saw this...I need to get my mind out of the gutter! ;) You know what I'm talking about.

Loved your notes by the way...any money you spent longer to get it looking messy than it would have taken you to just draw the damn thing as usual. :D

Check. Note to self: cancel hyperactive zoologist jumping out of cake for Corellian Rogue's birthday party.

LMAO!!!! :D I'm getting a stuff-of-nightmares mental image here. Thanks alot.

And my artful friend....if you haven't already noticed may I draw your attention to this:

About bloody time!

Oh and thanks for the vote of confidence with Painter, I hope I'll use it well. I've been oogling over Ryan Church's and your work for long enough I thought it was about time I invested in it. :)

25. benkenobi151

benkenobi151 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 16, 2005
    wick, i like your AT-ST, for a second I thought I was watching a minature video, good job, you will go far with that talent

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.