main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Palpatine "Gran Palpa" Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Pro Scoundrel , Jan 3, 2020.

1. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    Those are all very good questions. I don't think you'll like the answers...because they are none! Frankly, I would have preferred that Palpatine had been trying to lure both of them to him from the start. That would explain a great deal. As it is, the plot is confusing. Initially, he wants to possess Rey, which reminds me of how the ancient Sith advised him to possess Anakin Solo in the Dark Empire trilogy. And then he's satisfied with this dyad. Thus, I found it jarring, and I preferred the original graphic novels.

Anyhow, just for anyone who is curious, here are a couple of videos explaining Dark Empire. It's something that fans either love or hate. I actually like it, and I can see why George Lucas liked it back in the day. He did have some involvement in the beginning, but this is very much a successor story to Tales of the Jedi.

2. TheCowboyBuilder

TheCowboyBuilder Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 25, 2016
    Spoiler alert!!!

astinus4 likes this.
  3. TheCowboyBuilder

TheCowboyBuilder Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 25, 2016
    Exactly! it is clearly damage control as Kylo Ren is a great bad guy #2, but not the #1 ... I also wonder about if he's really dead or not, I mean wasn't he saying to Rey - Kill me and I'll pass over to you?
    How is this method any different?, how does it guarantee to us as the viewers that he is gone for good now ? - perhaps because it was done without anger as said earlier ... dunno ... needs a comic or some canon book to fully parse it.

So was the prophecy wrong then about Anakin destroying the sith ? - it cheapens the whole PT and OT saga , I always found that so satisfying, Obi Wan in agony screaming "YOU WERE THE CHOSEN ONE!!!, You were supposed to destroy the sith not join him!!"

And it all falling into place in VI - amazing.

I am still happy overall they brought back Palpatine to salvage the mess VIII had made by killing off Snoke.

But I think their original plan was to have Snoke be Plageuis, now THAT would have been ****ing bad ass!!!
    Plageuis was the one all along who was trying to cheat death ... would be a real turn up and an explanation of why Snoke is so powerful.

Didn't he say he saw the empire rise and fall ? if Sidious had cloned Snoke he wouldn't have witnessed that ...

chris hayes likes this.
  4. Lordban

Lordban Isildur's Bane star 7

Nov 9, 2000
    1. If we're looking at a long game, Snoke could have been initially cloned during the days of the Old Republic
    2. Even if he wasn't, considering he's pretty much an artificial construct, implanting memories from before the rise of the Empire is also a possibility

My Palpatine Eyes likes this.
  5. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    It would make sense for Palpatine the politician to be married. Most real world elected officials are married. We never see or hear about a wife in the movies, but we also don't see enough of his life on screen to know. Does the EU say one way or the other?

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  6. fugacity

fugacity Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 7, 2018
    It was handled very poorly. As much as I like the idea of him coming back, I don't know how to do it without cringing. TROS certainly chose cringey. Very EU/comic/cartoon.

If you want to do it, go "voldemort" on it. He hasn't been here all along, but there's a way he can return. He was vanquished by Luke, don't diminish that. Snoke is part of the project to reanimate him. You have to drop a hint or two that there's more than Snoke int he first two movies. Then the early part of TROS should be Kylo becoming aware of dark side forces at work at some mystery and that's what he goes to investigate.

"The dead speak" in the crawl is an epic mistake.

The way they did it, I don't know why he's really gone now. Can't magic work just like it already has? The dark side does un-natural things, apparently anything, so why not bring him backagain?

Death needs weight. Dead is dead to quote Lost.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2020
    Vasco_Rojo and TheCowboyBuilder like this.
  7. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    If the emperor can come back from the dead, discover that Leia and Han have a baby, and turn that baby to the dark side from across the galaxy then why didn't he do the same thing with Luke and Leia in the PT/OT era?

8. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    There is a brilliant Phantom Menace deleted snippet where Plapy and Maul are out on the balcony discussing finally revealing themselves to the Jedi and finally having revenge and the scene originally ended with Mrs. Plapy sliding open the balcony door and hollering out to them both to come back inside for coffee and dessert.

9. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    Palpatine didn't discover that Luke was Vader's son until the OT. He likely assumed that Anakin and Padme's child died with her, as had been displayed during her funeral procession.

El_Machete12 and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  10. LastSonOfAsgard

LastSonOfAsgard Jedi Knight

Apr 18, 2016
    So now that we know Sheev Palpatine won at the end and continued his journey as the powerful grey Jedi named Rey Skywalker. What new whacky hijinks do yall think he will get up to next? He's already buried the Skywalker lightsabers in a place where he indirectly killed Luke's adoptive family and a place covered in sand, which he know how much Anakin hated. So what's next for him? Will he try to take over the galaxy again or will he take some time off and enjoy the simpler things in life? The galaxy is his oyster and he's ready to start a new adventure.

11. The Regular Mustache

Dec 22, 2015
    Oh I know that but what I'm saying is that if he has the power to come back from the dead and has the power to find out that Leia and Han had a kid and he had the power to speak to that kid in his mind from across the galaxy and turn him to the dark side AND he had the power to create a powerful force user, i.e. Snoke, why didn't he have the power to sense that Luke and Leia survived childbirth? Seems bogus.

Shadao and cwustudent like this.
  12. jaimestarr

jaimestarr Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 13, 2004
    Snoke had A LOT of story potential. That said, don't you think that he was almost too close to Palpatine to be interesting? I mean, after TFA, I thought...really? Another decrepit disfigured master villain sitting on a throne? I liked this less than Starkiller base.

My thoughts:
    Luke and Leia were strategically hidden from Palpatine and his influence.
    Han and Leia thought Palpatine was dead, and the threat of the sith was gone. No need to hide a kid.
    Here's a question: Could Palpatine speak to Ben/Ren through the Vader mask because part his essence was attached to it? Also, how did Kylo Ren come across the mask?

Hmm. This is actually exactly how I read his return. I need to rewatch TROS, but it seemed to me that Plapy had just regained his physical form and was sith-tech assisted living machinery. No? He used Snoke to go out in the galaxy and enact his will, because he could not.

13. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Mar 13, 2014
    [face_laugh] That's funny. That's what real life would be like.

What would it be like if Palpatine had a wife? She might not be aware he is a Sith Lord. She might be fine with his long absences for work and stay back on Naboo - especially when he's a senator.

She also could be under his Sith influence while also being unaware. Or she both knows what is going on and is under the spell of his powers. Having a wife and family could also create reasons for Palpatine to slip away from government without suspicion as a cover for Sith dealings. And a family of in laws could help mask political funding from Sith sources. I could see Palpatine marrying into a rich and influential Naboo family. He could also go the other route to appear more humble and of modest origins.

The down side is how much time Palpatine would need to spend on a family behind the scenes. Or maybe that's not a problem for a Sith Lord to work around.

14. The Regular Mustache

Dec 22, 2015
    But TROS tells us that Leia and Luke DID know that Palpatine was alive. Luke spent 15 years looking for him. Also Leia had a vision of having a son that would turn to the dark side before Ben was even born.

15. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Mar 13, 2014
    Are we sure the Emperor didn't know about Luke and was simply waiting for the time when Luke would be strong enough to become his new apprentice?

Did they know Palaptine was alive or did they sense the Dark Side and power of the Sith was still lurking in the shadows. When Luke investigated further he started to put the pieces together and only then recognized it was still Palpatine behind it all.

16. The Regular Mustache

Dec 22, 2015
    What we're sure of is that the emperor was killed in 1983 and that in 2019 a retcon was introduced that makes a lot of the emperor's story very dumb and nonsensical and we shouldn't waste our time trying to use head canon trying to make JJ's story make sense.

jc1138 and cwustudent like this.
  17. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Mar 13, 2014
    If all we're going to say is "I hate it," why talk about it all. Let's be constructive.

18. The Regular Mustache

Dec 22, 2015
    This is what I keep asking myself lately. Why am I still talking about this mess of a trilogy? I should probably take a break from posting.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  19. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Mar 13, 2014
    As a kid I interpreted this line to mean the threat was to Anakin, not the Emperor. I guess that's why I've always thought The Emperor might know about or suspect Luke was out there and did nothing, waiting until a time when he might replace Vader.

20. jaimestarr

jaimestarr Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 13, 2004
    I'm not sure. I need to watch it again. I thought it was a shock to people that Palpatine returned. Leia's quit training because she had a vision that her kid would die if she completed her training. Right?

21. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    yah there's nothing in the movie that indicates anyone knows Palpatine is alive until "The Dead Speak!" crawl. He was hiding in Exegol the whole time manipulating events. Luke and Lando never figured out he was back just that there was nasty Dark Side stuff happening.

22. Havok176

Havok176 Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 6, 2016
    One thing that's bugging me is did Sidious die? Why should i believe he died this time if he can just keep coming back with his spirit. In DE he kept coming back until they send his soul to "madness beyond death" so he does not return. i read some of the supposed leak of a cut where Anakin helps Rey and defeats him by sending his soul to something similar but that was scrapped.

23. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Mar 13, 2014
    That would have been good to show it was the end once and for all of Darth Sidous. I'd of really like Anakin needing to part of it. Also if Exegol was revealed to be a special place where the Sith could actually be killed for good would have been nice.

Personally - and this is total head canon - I'd love it if Exegol was revealed to be a place like Mortis and ages ago the Sith found a way to enter it and conquer this Force Realm. From that time on they used it as a source of power.

Havok176 likes this.
  24. 2Cleva

2Cleva Chosen One star 5

Apr 28, 2002
    Just had to laugh and smh at this thread title, then look off in despair as people in charge thought it was a good idea.

[​IMG]

Darth Raiden likes this.
  25. Havok176

Havok176 Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 6, 2016
    At least something to inform the viewer this is the end of sidoious. Should have just used Korriban instead of Exegol. Only problem with that theory is if Exegol has that vulnerability why would Sidious be there? But than again this Sidious was a complete moron. Why would he announce that hes back? The Sidious we know works in the shadows not come out and say ah ha i have returned mustache saturday morning cartoon villain.

TheCowboyBuilder likes this.