main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Palpatine "Gran Palpa" Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Pro Scoundrel , Jan 3, 2020.

1. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    But that's basically what he did during the Empire era. Sure he wasn't on a hook. But he wasn't around either. Being on a hook conducting whatever behind the scenes isn't much different really.

2. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    Snoke was Palpatine's agent so things worked trough him i guess.

3. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    I think it’s the age old stronghold of the Sith.

It’s not Palpatine’s style because inherited it. That’s one of the things a Sith Apprentice takes ownership of when becoming the Master. Seem Sith style evolved a lot since they got setup on Exegol.

I think the cultists are actually the physical representation of the past Sith Lords inside Palpatine.

Taking them away it’s skeleton crew in the temple with care taker scientists and some security.

We know there is a human population - enough to man the Sith Fleet. But we never see what sort of housing they have or their cities.

I have no idea how that works.

4. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 6

Nov 21, 2012
    neither does JJ.

Again, the place should have been empty. To denote the concept that the Sith are gone, and possibly limping along by Palpatine a hook. Having thousands of Sith Cultists, and a thousand ships all ready in frozen ice, fully manned by who the hell knows, betrays the concept that the Sith are desperate or on their last legs. Nope. They're fully fine. There are millions of them doing alright. As if EP 6 never happened. If JJ is a master of anything it's nothing has consequence.

wobbits, 2Cleva and UnlimitedSarcasm like this.
  5. Daxon101

Jan 7, 2016
    There isn't millions of them. Although who those dark figures are, i guess they are the sith cultists loyal to Palpatine. I don't think it makes them sith. But otherwise, no Palpatine is still the last sith.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2022
    Watcherwithin likes this.
  6. Seeker Of The Whills

Seeker Of The Whills Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2015
    All this discussion about why Palpatine didn't just transfer his essence to Snoke or whoever had me thinking... Wasn't it specifically Rey he wanted/needed to transfer to because she was his granddaughter? That's how I understood it, at least. I guess it's never made fully clear... But to me it makes sense that he would want her because she is his heir and shares his power.

I think Palpatine letting Snoke and the First Order do his dirty work is consistent with how he set up Dooku and the Separatists in the prequels. Of course Palpatine couldn't play the double role of benevolent Chancellor/Emperor anymore.

Sauron_18, wreath and Watcherwithin like this.
  7. Daxon101

Jan 7, 2016
    Well i think that was the whole point behind hiding Rey on Jakku as knowing of her existence would make Palpatine attempt to find her. Even though she was just a kid, it seemed like Rey was important. If Palpatine could just transfer himself into anyone... i suspect Rey wouldn't have been important. And i suspect he wouldn't have had a cloned son who Palpatine rejected because he wasn't force sensitive.

8. Watcherwithin

Watcherwithin Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2017
    Right, once you’ve introduced Exegol, there’s no reason for it to be empty if it’s been secret since the empire fell. Whether Exegol and Palpatine should have been in the movie at all is the real question the critics have

Last edited: Nov 26, 2022
    wreath likes this.
  9. DarkGingerJedi

Nov 21, 2012
    The reason for me wanting Exogol empty is because it enforces the concept that the Sith are gone…or at least hanging by a thread. Having thousands of devoted cultists still around (never mind Palps for a moment) betrays Anakin’s sacrifice. Full stop Turns out he didn’t eradicate the Sirh cuz they were all fine and dandy on the home world building ships and chanting to Palpatine’s ready just in case clone body.

Having it be empty…like a real long forgotten home base…a tomb, would allow Kylo to rediscover something old that was essentially destroyed by his grandfather. And enforce the threat that Kylo must be stopped otherwise the Sith will return in the same way they Rey is going to rebuild the Jedi

10. wreath

wreath Jedi Padawan star 2

Aug 21, 2021
    he was one to find how to make sure to not die but like thats all of what i meant it wasn't like i was rewriting rots just explaining it in a different context which found a way to live beyond death but never truely used but only on others so my point still stands

11. wreath

Aug 21, 2021
    tho in the rots movie and in the tros book he dose mention that his master helped in a way or something

12. wreath

Aug 21, 2021
    yes he cares about power but the sith is the way to go for him so he sorts of cares about in his own way which is evil

13. wreath

Aug 21, 2021
    agreed

14. wreath

Aug 21, 2021
    He sort of was but by the time of rotj he kind of knew it would fail he then did the same with ben and rey and it failed just only care about sith that aren't low lifes like maul or dooku or even vader after anh since fact that the more powerful not low life you are the more important you to palpatine

15. wreath

Aug 21, 2021
    I don't know its more like they tell her tio do stuff then like them controlling her is sort of what he means its not really possession since if it were possession then they would have complete control over the body which they wouldn't

16. DarkGingerJedi

Nov 21, 2012
    Palpatine just wants a nice retirement sitting in the backside of a powerful dark sider's mind like Rey or Kylo. Maybe do some golf. Travel a bit. Write that book he always wanted to.

Ya know normal Sith retirement stuff. Why does everyone want to get in the way of that.

2Cleva and Bor Mullet like this.
  17. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Plapy just wants to go fishing

Bor Mullet likes this.
  18. Sauron_18

Sauron_18 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 1, 2005
    Most of us have seen this Episode I concept art piece of a Sith that was among the first explorations in the path toward designing Darth Maul:

[​IMG]

But notice that the piece is titled “Sith (Palpatine).” This hasn’t made sense to me for a long time. How could this be meant to be Palpatine? But then I realized that I’d been thinking too much of the Palpatine we got in the final movie, the patrician-looking senator. This piece, by contrast, imagines what a younger but still monstrous version of the Emperor from ROTJ would have looked like.

[​IMG]

It’s interesting to see another version of what Palpatine could’ve looked like when he was young, especially if Abrams was thinking of having him rejuvenate in early versions of Episode IX. What if the younger Palpatine had been this evil-looking from the start?

Last edited: Dec 7, 2022
  19. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    :eek: I've never noticed that before!

20. Daxon101

Jan 7, 2016
    I think its fairly set in stone at this point that palpatine wasnt always disfigured. Otherwise it makes the lighting in the face thing pointless.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2022
    wreath likes this.
  21. DarkGingerJedi

Nov 21, 2012
    All characters go through exploratory phases, even if they don't quite make sense within the story. Ian McCaig did many concepts of Anakin that looked like a 14 year old kid, and had Jedi in black almost ninja/police-like uniforms.

And he did just as many concepts of Palpatine in various senatorial costumes.

22. Sauron_18

Sauron_18 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 1, 2005
    That’s true. But for Episode I, the only info we have is that the artists were working back from the Emperor’s look in Return of the Jedi. The only other concept art piece I’ve seen of Sidious from Episode I is the following:

[​IMG]

I know the question of his facial markings wasn’t defined until Episode III. But a lot of the other Sith art, including art for the apprentice, also shows similarly pale and bald figures. So I wonder if McCaig was initially operating under Lucas’s original idea that Sith would look like Regan from The Exorcist.

23. DarkGingerJedi

Nov 21, 2012
    That's because - most likely - production art started before Lucas even had a script going. He probably told them the very basics: Anakin, Palpatine, Obi-wan, the Jedi, the Sith were init. And they started pumping out an aesthetic.

There's like a famous video clip of Lucas approving art for ROTS, and then rather disappointingly says "Now all I have to do is finish the script"

I can't find it now, but my memory has always been that there were old concept, or just basic idea, that Palpatine was really this deformed Sith figure and used the Force to make everyone see a younger more handsome man.Basically they were all literally blinded by the dark side. Maybe Ian said it some where. But it never took off. It never became a real concept.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2022
  24. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    He was originally (during the production of ROTS) meant to switch back and forth between the two faces after the scene with Mace and the lightning attack. George was so pleased with the Emperor makeup that he decided to just stick with that, though.
    Or so the story goes. I don't remember where I got that info, if it's in The Making of Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith, in the audio commentary or somewhere else.

25. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    Total speculation your honor. I move that Ginger’s words be stricken from the records.

JUDGE STAR WAR: Sustained. Now don’t make me warn you yet again Ginger.