main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Palpatine was anakins father

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Starwars1987, Jun 13, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Starwars1987

Starwars1987 Jedi Padawan

Jun 3, 2018
    I had been speculating that Palpatine was Anakin's father. Palpatine had mentioned that he could create life and Shmi had said that there was no father and that she just woke up pregnant. Either Palpatine or Plagueis I think created him.

2. Blame_It_On_Lucas

Blame_It_On_Lucas Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jan 29, 2004
    Hmm. Pardon me for turning this into a Sequel Trilogy discussion, but you know what, I always personally interpreted that Plagueis created Anakin. However given that I'm just trying to make sense out of ANYTHING in Rise of Skywalker, now I'm thinking saga-wise it would make more sense if Palpatine created Anakin, like what you believe. It would connect Rey more to the Skywalkers, not by literal bloodline, and not seem as egregious that she took the Skywalker name. I don't know, I'm articulating things all weird right now.

3. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    It is hinted at in the ROTS book.

4. Darth Megatronus

Darth Megatronus Jedi Knight star 3

May 17, 2020
    Didn’t one of the comic writers recently say that Palpatine did not create Anakin?

5. oierem

oierem Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 18, 2009
    It was an idea that Lucas included in the first rough draft of Revenge of the Sith, but ultimately dropped it. Leaving it ambiguous is the best option, I think. Not everything needs to be explained, not when it's not a specific question raised in the movies.
    The whole legend of Darth Plagueis works better as an alluring possibility than a certain fact, from my point of view.

6. Darth Megatronus

May 17, 2020
    I agree. I actually prefer the idea of Plagueis being an ancient Sith Lord from thousands of years ago, rather than Palpatine’s master.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2020
  7. Sith Lord 2015

Sith Lord 2015 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 30, 2015
    Did Lucas ever explicitly say Sidious was Anakin's father, other than some vague idea in the 1980s? I really hope not. Too many family relations in the SW saga already!!! I think that's more than enough, and don't want yet another one.

8. Darth Megatronus

May 17, 2020
    not to my knowledge

9. FlintRock

FlintRock Jedi Youngling

Jun 23, 2020
    Anakin was a true Virgance of the Force. Neither Plagueis or Palpatine created him. If you read the Darth Plagueis novel... Plagueis was doing all kinds of experiments trying to learn the secrets of the mid-chlorians to keep someone alive or heal tissue that normally couldn't be healed. Eventually Plagueis was able to use the midi-chlorians to create life and cause pregnancies... But he did that inside of his secret lab. When Plagueis heard about Anakin he thought that the Force itself had struck back against what he was doing to create a being themselves that might one day destroy him. So he really was the chosen one. Plagueis went to see Anakin to get a feel for him, possibly kill him? Who knows when he was supposed to be with Queen Amidala's staff. But when he got there Qui Gon had already taken him to go see the council. A short time after that when he was celebrating with Palpatine about being named the new Chancellor and going over Palpatines speech and how Palpatine was going to name Plagueis (Hego Damask) as his co chancellor he feel asleep from all the wine. It was at that point Palpatine killed him. So Plagueis was never able to meet Anakin and Palpatine decided he would groom and attempt to turn Anakin when the time was right.

Anakin really had no father.

10. Blobofat

Blobofat Chosen One star 8

Dec 15, 2000
    Plus, why would Palpatine magic up Anakin in a lab when he's happy boffing away to create his successor?

11. AEHoward33

AEHoward33 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 11, 2019
    Why is it important that a Sith Lord should be Anakin's father?

wobbits and Sith Lord 2015 like this.
  12. HevyDevy

HevyDevy Force Ghost star 5

Apr 13, 2011
    Are you referring to Rey's father or was this a vague tongue in cheek comment?
    He was a Palpatine clone.

I like the Plagueis novel explanation that Anakin was the force's answer to the Sith's meddling.

I wish they had kept the originally scripted version of the Palpatine reveal. The "I am your father" revelation with an opposite outcome to Luke and Vader.

13. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    I like the idea that the Sith's Dark Side manipulation effected balance so much the Force itself conjured Anakin into existence. It's doesn't need to be something the Force did consciously. It could be a natural reaction to restore balance. More in common with the way weather systems work, not a Force Deity purposely creating a champion. It's about restoring natural balance with equal and opposite reactions. Like a tornado in a thunderstorm. A volcano letting off pressure deep inside the Earth.

What would get interesting is if Palpatine is aware of it when it happens. He doesn't know what it is exactly. Or how it happened. He does know his Dark Side action brought it about.

So he didn't purposely cause it to happen, but he can study it. I wish Palpatine would later recreate the same circumstance, this time purposely tricking the Force to create Rey. So again Palpatine doesn't create a chosen one himself, but this time he purposely triggers the Force to do it.

And Palpatine is confident enough that he can then control this person.

HevyDevy likes this.
  14. Mark Pierre

Mark Pierre Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 8, 2016
    *creeps in*
    No, he wasn't.
    *creeps out*

Vinylshadow and wobbits like this.
  15. wobbits

wobbits Force Ghost star 4

Apr 12, 2017
    Yes. When people started misinterpreting the comic with Sidious standing behind a pregnant Shmi, Matt Martin clarified that this was not confirmation of Anakin's parentage. It was a dark side vision produced by his own suspicions and thoughts about himself.

16. anakincol

anakincol Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2009
    Anakin was.the forces reaction to Plageuius messing around trying to create life unnaturally. That's how I have always figured it.

Iron_lord likes this.
  17. AEHoward33

AEHoward33 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 11, 2019
    When was Rey's father allegedly conceived? Why in the hell did Abrams introduce this story arc into the trilogy's narrative?:rolleyes:

wobbits likes this.
  18. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I don’t think it’s a coincidence that Tatooine is near Naboo, homeworld of Palpatine.

lord_sidious_ likes this.
  19. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I thought this had already been debunked, like officially...?

Vinylshadow and Sith Lord 2015 like this.
  20. Sith Lord 2015

Oct 30, 2015
    And I don't think physical distance in a universe with hyperspace travel really matters. I mean, isn't it possible in that world that you can reach any place in the galaxy within hours? Like a wormhole?
    Besides, are you suggesting that Palpy actually went to Tatooine to rape Shmi? [face_rofl]

21. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    No. I’m suggesting that whatever Plagueis and Sidious did on Naboo radiated through The Force to Tatooine.

22. Sith Lord 2015

Oct 30, 2015
    OK. But even then distance wouldn't really matter when using the Force. At least that was my impression.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2020
  23. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    And I for one am extremely happy that Lucas cut this bit. Not even because of the concept itself, which I'm not really a fan of either, but because of its very cheap play on the line from ESB. The whole way the scene plays out is way too on the nose and contrieved. There would have been much better ways to present this idea than the way it was written in the first draft.

Count Yubnub likes this.
  24. HevyDevy

HevyDevy Force Ghost star 5

Apr 13, 2011
    It is hard to say not watching the full cut, with how much editing was done getting to different emotional states, over many versions of the final cut. The earlier cut would have made his turn more believable but perhaps less emotional. I say this because I read the final script, but only saw a short excerpt from the "making of" book for the Palpatine created Anakin reveal. Knowing roughly what was taken out of the original story it sounded more intricate generally speaking. Anakin's descent even in what we have seen in deleted scenes like Padme and the delegation confronting Palpatine (and Anakin), and the earlier version of the discussion in "...changes to the constitution" on the bluray seemed more mature.

Anakin as a double agent during the Mace-Palpatine confrontation sounds darker but actually sheds light on some of the implications of the cut we got.

25. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    firstly he isn't Anakin's father
    secondly he didn't say he could create life, he said Darth Plaguies could influence the midi-chlorians. As soon as Anakin turned he said working together they could discover it, so that was just a ploy on his part.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.