main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Palpatine's face

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by YODAisWISE, Jun 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YODAisWISE

YODAisWISE Jedi Youngling

May 23, 2005
    Did anyone else think that Palpatines face was a little, cheezy or kinda humerous in this ROTS? Everyone in my theater when I saw was laughing at his face when Anakin was bowing to him, I was trying to listen. but now when I think about it, it was a bit odd looking.

2. P_F_A_F_F

P_F_A_F_F Jedi Youngling star 1

May 26, 2005
    That makeup looked horrible. It totally messed the scene up for me the first time I saw it. That and the way Palpatine is talking, I hated the way he sounded like he had flem in his throat!

3. AHAMODE

AHAMODE Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 30, 2003
    I was a little humorous, but wasn't it meant to look as if it was swollen? It "calmed" down later in the film.

4. Darth_Sam_Jackson

Darth_Sam_Jackson Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 13, 2005
    Why is he the only one not immune to lightning?

5. YODAisWISE

YODAisWISE Jedi Youngling

May 23, 2005
    I really think that the new technology made it worse. I mean in the OT the technology wasn't as good so it made the films, well a bit more evil. I liked Palpitines face in the OT, but in ROTS it just wasnt the same. And i think he wasnt imune to the lightning cuz it was his own lightning so it showed his true self.

6. DarthVader_

DarthVader_ Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 3, 2005
    I agree his face was bad after Mace went out the window, the make up could of been much better, but it was the voice that was crap just while he was talking to Anakin, when he put his hood up he sounded cool and like he should have. Not to mention Palps face and chin especially are bigger in this one comparred to ROTJ, are we meant to believe it's cos he is swollen from the force lightning or has Ian just put weight on?

7. Darth_Revan___

Darth_Revan___ Jedi Youngling star 1

May 25, 2005
    it was worse than vaders imfamous "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO* IMO

8. MANDALORIAN

MANDALORIAN Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 15, 1999

but it was the voice that was crap just while he was talking to Anakin, when he put his hood up he sounded cool and like he should have.

Exactly. The electronic messing with his voice was terrible and pointless. Like a kid with a voice changer. McDiarmid can do the voice - they should have left it alone. Like you say, when the hood goes on things improve.

Not to mention Palps face and chin especially are bigger in this one comparred to ROTJ, are we meant to believe it's cos he is swollen from the force lightning or has Ian just put weight on?

Ian hasn't put on weight. It is bad make-up. And, because it isn't CGI, Lucas really didn't care enough to make sure it looked good.

Personally, I would have preferred tha change to not have happened.

9. Stejo-Miwar

Stejo-Miwar Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 3, 2003
    Why is he the only one not immune to lightning?

--

I assume you are refering to "why didn't Luke's appearance change when he was hit by lightning in ROTJ?"
    Well I think, Palps was toying with Luke so the lightning didn't have time to do much damage. Also, in ROTS, the lightning was being deflected off Mace's saber, so maybe the lightning was double the intensity.

Just a thought...

10. jedichef1

jedichef1 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 17, 2004
    Ian's face was bad straight after it was altered, and also during his speach to the senate. But everytime there was a scence where he was wearing the black robe and had his hood up I thought that the face was pretty good and nearly spot on to the OT.

11. Darth_Turkey

Darth_Turkey Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 5, 2004
    Yeah, i think because it's the first time we see him with the hood down he looks different, but only cos we aint seen it before. I thought the reason his face was a little different was because it had only just been melted, in the same way Vaders face when the mask comes off looks different to when the mask goes on. It's 30-odd years later and a little healing has taken place and palps face is more saggy than swollen.

Plus, as mentioned above, i think the only reason palps face melts when lukes does'nt is because it's being deflected directly at his head, where as luke got it all over his body. Plus palps is surging the power stronger and stronger against mace, trying to beat him, while luke got short controlled bursts, to prolong his suffering no doubt.

12. Dukhat

Dukhat Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 3, 2004
    It's the same face as the one now in ESB for the recent DVD release of the OT. It doesn't make much sense since his face is much bigger than you see it in ROTJ. It didn't change at all from ROTS to ESB and then in the span of one year changes to a much thinner version?

Total BS.

I always thought that it was Mace also reflecting Sidious' power back onto him, thus disfiguring his face, though it was really overacted by Ian. He did a great job in ROTJ, I don't see why Lucas wanted to mess with it so he becomes a weird B-movie caracter in ROTS. Maybe Lucas is just dumb and can't tell.

13. Darth_SaberTooth

Darth_SaberTooth Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2003
    I actually liked the face.

It looked pretty cool and scary at the same time.

But for those who doesn't take star wars that serious, they tend to say "LOOK! Palps has an ASS on his forehead! OMG, i seriously thought he was gonna take a load of crap outa that!"

And that just ruins everything..

14. Sidious_T

Sidious_T Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 2, 2004
    "Maybe Lucas is just dumb"

Not maybe...........

15. jabba_the_matt

jabba_the_matt Jedi Youngling

Feb 26, 2005
    Yeah, this was pretty much the most unbelievably bad part of ROTS, simply because it should have been so easy to recreate the look of the make up in ROTJ.

And yes, people were laughing in my theatre (all three times).

16. Yodas_Got_Bed_Head

Yodas_Got_Bed_Head Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 18, 2004
    The theater I saw ROTS in, seemed to be the size of a sports arena. So Palpatine's face did look quite odd. As a matter of fact the back of his head looked liked it was giving birth (it looked really swollen - IMHO).
    Again, I sat in the very last row (which took about a 7 minute mini hike up the stairs) and Mace's face looked like it was swelling during certain shots of the duel as well.
    I plan on seeing the movie again, in a normal theater so I can pick up the things I missed.

17. Darth-Trepidor

Darth-Trepidor Jedi Youngling star 3

May 10, 2005
    Where did all this "True-Self" talk come in? I didn't hear anything about it being his "True-Self" is this proven somewhere, if so, please post it!
    Frankly, I think they should have just left his face alone. He looked MORE like the Emperor WITHOUT that terrible make-up job, especially when he smiles and says "the power to save your wife" before Anakin pulls his lightsaber.
    I didn't like how DEEP his voice was during the whole "The power to cheat death..." sceen. It didn't seem to fit. The Emperor didn't have a deep voice.

18. ohwise1

ohwise1 Jedi Youngling

May 26, 2005
    Dont be silly no its not

19. Darthcarpet

Darthcarpet Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 5, 2004
    Whats wrong with vader's nooooooooo at the end why do people make a big deal out of it i thought it was a natural response if your wife just died wouldent you be feeling the same?

then again you could be married to Barbra Streisand 8-}

20. Anagorn

Anagorn Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 3, 2003
    I thought it was just great actually.
    It´s like he´s coming to terms with his new look and voice.
    Like a demon showing his true nature and settling down
    after a transformation of appearance and sound
    and adapting to a new shape.

21. Force-Keeper

Force-Keeper Jedi Master star 5

Jun 16, 2004
    I think it was the fact that he wasn't wearing a hood that made everyone think the makeup looked bad; I mean we?ve never seen him without a hood on in previous movies so it looked a bit strange at first. As soon as Palpatine put his hood on he looked straight out of ROTJ.

22. stormcloud8

stormcloud8 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 24, 2002
    Ian's fluctuating voice was ominous and perfect. I loved it.

The make-up definitely seemed a bit off, though, that was a bummer.

23. DarthSil

DarthSil Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 19, 2003
    I loved it. It kinda reminded me of Gary Oldman in Dracula.

24. StoneRiver

StoneRiver Force Ghost star 4

Oct 6, 2004
    I agree with Force-Keeper here. The make up looked odd with his big wrinkled arse head (a la Prune Face figure from ROTJ), but as soon as the hood went on he looked just right.

With regard to his voice, I would say Ian overplayed it a fair bit and whoever said it, you're right, they didn't need to put any effects on his speech. But saying that, it still rocked.

25. stormcloud8

stormcloud8 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 24, 2002
    The single biggest problem with the Palps makeup was his neck, I think. It has that weird horizontal wrinkle on it. And he looks terribly bloated. Is he that much heavier now than he was in ROTJ?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.