main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PAN&SCAN or w i d e s c r e e n ?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by empirestrikesback, Aug 5, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. empirestrikesback

empirestrikesback Jedi Youngling

Aug 2, 2002
    Many forums have erupted into debate about whether Pan and Scan or Widescreen is better.

Come here to debate just this topic and not cause other threads to go off topic.

Do you like

A) Having the whole screen filled and missing 40% of the picture

B)Seeing all of the film but having the black bars

C)No Preference

2. PlastiqPhantom

PlastiqPhantom Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 26, 2002
    Easily widescreen.

It's much better

3. empirestrikesback

Aug 2, 2002
  4. ferelwookie

ferelwookie Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 4, 2001
    B. Definetly.

5. Shadow_of_Evil

Shadow_of_Evil Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 18, 2001
    !!!!!!WIDESCREEN!!!!!!!

6. Ben_Skywalker

Ben_Skywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 20, 2001
    I'm sorry but this really doesn't have anything to do with Star Wars Misc. This might be a better place for this thread :)

Unless of course you're comparing Pan & Scan or Widescreen for the AOTC DVD ;) :p

btw, I'd have to go with choice B :)

7. Lord_Hydronium

Lord_Hydronium Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 11, 2002
  8. empirestrikesback

Aug 2, 2002
    Sorry if this seemed off topic. I should have said:

For Star Wars viewing, do you prefer the fullscreen or the widescreen version.

This is for all the films:

A)TPM is in widescreen only on dvd
    B)AOTC is going to be in both except for the VHS
    C)They no longer produce Star Wars Trilogy Widescreen tapes

So it really applies to all the trilogies.

Sorry if it souded different

9. Quixotic-Sith

Quixotic-Sith Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 22, 2001
    Widescreen for my OTs (non-SEs) - they have a date with my friend's DVD burner when it arrives.

As for the rest...

Meh... whatever.

10. BobaFett688

BobaFett688 Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 7, 2001
    Well, here's how it is for me. Tapes, I don't bother trying to find a widescreen version of (unfortunately I bought the OT SE when I was like 10 and I didn't like widescreen at the time, so it's in full screen. However, I will NOT, I repeat NOT ever even consider buying a DVD if it's not in Widescreen. Thankfully some DVDs are only in widescreen, or can be toggled between wide and full, or are double sided, but I hate it when a store only carries the full screen version. I hope this problem doesn't happen when AOTC comes out, because ten bucks says that Target (which is probably where I'll end up buying it) won't carry the Widescreen version.

Bottom line is W I D E S C R E E N.

11. SmoovBillyDee

SmoovBillyDee Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 2, 2002
    Widescreen by a mile. It's so much nicer seeing the rest of the picture (like when Luke says that he sees a Sand Person in ANH).

12. JediJadegirl

JediJadegirl Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 16, 2002
    remastered THX non-SE OT in widescreen

that is all.....

~*Jadegirl*~

13. yoda4982

yoda4982 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 10, 2002
    Acctually they did make TPM on video with wide screen, but i love windscreen, thats all i watch the "Saga",(there is no trilogy to me) on. so WIDESCREEN, i own the SE of the original, i don't care its all SW to me

All i want is a DVD, i have TPM dvd, love it, going to ge the widescreen AOTC dvd, and the Episode 3 widescreen DVD, and the box set of the saga dvd, all 6 widescreen.

Yoda

14. AgentCoop

AgentCoop Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 16, 2002
    I'm one of those people who is constantly trying to explain to anyone who will listen why widescreen is the only proper way to view any movie (provided that it's not a really old movie, as many of the older classic films actually were originally shot with a "square" picture).

The analogy I most often use is of chopping the sides off of a painting simply to fit it into a smaller frame.

Another thing that bugs me is TV shows that are shot in what I call "faux widescreen". ER, The Sopranos and Angel come to mind. In the case of a program that is made for television, widescreen is a silly affectation. Unfortunately, many of the shows that make use of it (like the aforementioned) are also really good, so I wind up having to watch them anyway.

15. SkywalkerSolo

SkywalkerSolo Jedi Master star 3

Jun 26, 2002
    Always Widescrreen!!!!! There is no other!-Sky

16. Yoda_Windu

Yoda_Windu Jedi Youngling star 2

May 28, 2002
    I dont know much about teh 2. I kn0ow wide screen has the 2 black bars on top and bottom, and sory, but I really hate that. Why do people prefer widescreen so much? what is the big deal with it?

17. Lord_Hydronium

Jun 11, 2002
    Check out the pages that have been posted above. You can see how much you miss with pan & scan, and why widescreen is the best.

Um, in my opinion-thingy.

And a bunch of other people's as well.

18. stone_jedi

stone_jedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 17, 2001
    remastered THX non-SE OT in widescreen

Damn straight. :)

Widescreen all the way.

19. Lord_Hydronium

Jun 11, 2002
    Yeah! Go SE widescreen!

:D

20. BigBossNass1138

BigBossNass1138 Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 13, 2002
    W I D E S C R E E N ! ! !
    It's the only way to be, I'm afraid. The only proof you need is the opening scroll. Watch one on P+S, then watch the same one WS. WS is just so much easier to read! On P+S by the time you get the whole line, it's too far away to make out the words easily (we all have the opening scrolls memorised anyway, so we don't need to read them, but that's beside the point). Anyway, I would not dream of getting the P+S version of AOTC on DVD. That would just be silly.

21. Maladour-Fei

Maladour-Fei Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 17, 2000
    I would have to be forced at gunpoint to buy a movie in Pan&Scan. I bought a widescreen TV just to enjoy movies at it's best and I wouldn't wanna sit there with a old boring "halfmovie"...

22. Skytalker

Skytalker Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 18, 2002
    Yeah, I agree. We need a THX DIGITALLY REMASTERED WIDESCREEN version of the NON-SE OT on DVD !!!

23. gwaernardel

gwaernardel Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 5, 2001
    Just get the laserdiscs....yeah, you need to buy a laserdisc player but it's not that hard, is it?

24. Skytalker

Skytalker Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 18, 2002
    ...laserdisc is an old technology and laserdiscs and players are extremely expensive and nowadays they are seldom found in stores (at least in europe).
    What will you do, if your LD-player doesn`t work any longer and it can´t be repaired cause LD-players are not produced anymore?
    Even more important: The DVD picture is superior when compared with laserdisc, the discs are more handy and most DVD feature lots of bonus material (cut scenes, etc.)

Btw: The most actual Amps/Receivers with Dolby Digital/DTS processors don`t have a RF-input which is needed to play the multi channel digital sound of a laserdisc.
    AND: on the OT NON-SE Laserdiscs the sound is only in 4-ch dolby surround.

Surely a new release of the NON-SE OT on DVD would feature a new 6.1-ch Dolby Digital EX mix and a superb anamorphic widescreen picture!

Edit: And don´t forget: You have to turn around laserdiscs ´cause the whole movie doesn`t fit on one side while most DVDs are produced as dual layer discs, so there`s only a still picture for a second or two when the laser focuses on the other layer.

25. gwaernardel

gwaernardel Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 5, 2001
    Well, yes, it would be nice to have that but since Lucas has pretty much stated that he's washed his hands of the pre-SE OT I wouldn't hold my breath. In the meantime I'll watch my widescreen DVD's in all their glory. Not as great as DVD, true. But a whole lot better than cruddy VHS. And widescreen. Oh yeah.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.