main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PAN&SCAN or w i d e s c r e e n ?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by empirestrikesback, Aug 5, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Qui Gon Jim23

Qui Gon Jim23 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 11, 2002
    Laserdisc would be nice. I guess I'll just have to settle for the VHS to DVD transfers I have. As long as they're non-SE widescreen copies, a little fuzziness doesn't bother me. Plus it's got those cute little segways that Carrie Fisher did for SciFi back in like '95.

2. ChancellorGoauld

ChancellorGoauld Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 6, 2002
    I hate widescreen. It makes everything so small and you have to squint. And it puts those stupid black bars everywhere.
    Definitly full screen is better.

3. ChancellorGoauld

ChancellorGoauld Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 6, 2002
    As if you'd get a DVD player. I don't think they'll take off, or ever be popular. You're wasting your money. Wait for technology to settle down a bit. You can't even tape shows on DVD.
    Stupid consumers.

4. Skytalker

Skytalker Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 18, 2002
    "I don't think they'll take off, or ever be popular. You're wasting your money. Wait for technology to settle down a bit."

Not true. Since the first players were on the market, i guess it was in late ´97, DVD has become a widely accepted medium with even more disc copies sold in its first 3 years than the audio-cd accomplished in more than ten years.

"You can't even tape shows on DVD."

Philips, Pioneer, Toshiba (and others?) have already launched their second generation DVD-recorders, which are already a lot cheaper than their first generation pecedessors. Just wait another two years and almost everyone will be able to buy a DVD-recoder. It´s just a question of time when the VCRs will be off market.

And in a couple of years, when the Blue Ray DVD (features High Definition TV resolution) will be available, those players will be backwards compatible, so that you still will be able to watch your old DVDs (as you can play CD-ROMs on DVD-ROM drives) with those players.

5. gwaernardel

gwaernardel Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 5, 2001
    Not to mention that stores like Circuit City are phasing out VHS tapes completely...

I think it's a little late to say that DVD isn't going to take off.

6. yoda4982

yoda4982 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 10, 2002
    squinting, i don't squit when i watch wide screen, but may thats you, if you notice before a movie that is wide screen starts there is not that message..."This movie has been formated to fit your screen"

They don't have to, its just like it is shown in theaters. and any one who still buys VHS, well, mine have become paper weights, (Except the SW OT ones, and i do have SE, i love it, please make a completed Edition GL)

YOda

7. stone_jedi

stone_jedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 17, 2001
    I think the Chancellor was being sarcastic. ;)

8. DarthMaul13

DarthMaul13 Jedi Youngling star 4

Nov 26, 1998
    I think he was too.

DVD players with burners are now on the market. They will probably soon be replaced by DVD players than can record off the TV.

As was mentioned earlier Circuit City has stopped selling VHS tapes and VCRs and other stores will soon follow. DVD is definately here to stay.

As for WIDESCREEN vs. Pan&Scan, WIDESCREEN is better. In a few years every household will have a HD Flat Screen TV, which is set to fit the widscreen format. So I would highly recommend buying only widscreen DVDs for that sake alone.

9. Darth_Jeb

Darth_Jeb Jedi Youngling star 3

May 14, 2002
    It's worth every penny for WIDESCREEN and as for those who have to squint, get a bigger TV.

10. Akumz_Razor

Akumz_Razor Jedi Master star 4

Jun 25, 2002
    I don't have a widescreen TV s maybe someone can clear this up; if you watch a widescreen movie on that TV, do the black bars simply dissapear? Conversely, if you watch pan/scan in a widescreen TV, is the image stretched?

11. ferelwookie

ferelwookie Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 4, 2001
    Speaking of letterboxed versions...does anyone know if it is at all possible to find the Non-SE widescreen versions of the OT on VHS anymore? I was on videoflicks.com not too long ago and did a search for SW and they have a photo of the widescreens and a notice saying they can contact you "when they become available" again. I don't have a DVD player (still) and probably won't bother to even buy one until 2005 or later when the OT is finally release on DVD. If anyone has any info on "legal" versions of the OT in widescreen, please PM me or post a link here. I'll be your friend for life! :)

12. CountBakufu

CountBakufu Jedi Master star 2

Oct 10, 2001
    I prefer W I D E S C R E E N or PAN&SCAN
    because I get annoyed over parts of the film that get cut off.

13. gwaernardel

gwaernardel Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 5, 2001
    Did they ever put out the pre-SE OT in widescreen on VHS? I don't know, to be honest.

14. stone_jedi

stone_jedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 17, 2001
    Yes - the THX version that was released around 1994-95 has both widescreen and fullscreen versions, although they are pretty hard to come by now. :(

15. Maladour-Fei

Maladour-Fei Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 17, 2000
    Yes, those are my most beloved tapes. I wish (and this will probably stay as a wish) that someone (GL) would just make DVDs out of them. No extras, no nothing. Just release the movies on DVD for the sake of the picturequality.

16. Skytalker

Jul 18, 2002
    Yeah...the OOT should definitely be re-released on DVD. They should just enhance the picture quality (colors, sharpness) and make a new mix of the sound in 5.1 channel Dolby Digital EX. That´s all.

17. bedada3

bedada3 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 9, 2002
    "most DVDs are produced as dual layer discs, so there`s only a still picture for a second or two when the laser focuses on the other layer."

Apparantly DVDs don't flow better than VHS if we have to deal with a still frame in the middle of the movie.

Anyway, WIDESCREEN, all the way.

VHS tapes can be widescreen and also have bonus footage. They could have even more bonus footage considering the 30 minutes wasted on previews at the beginning of each tape.

18. DarthNomis

DarthNomis Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 2, 2001
    W I D E S C R E E N all the way.

no contest.

19. Skytalker

Jul 18, 2002
    "Apparantly DVDs don't flow better than VHS if we have to deal with a still frame in the middle of the movie."

...It´s also just a question of time until DVD players will have enough buffer memory to solve that minor problem (I guess high-end players can already cope with it).

Btw, that short break doesn`t bother me at all if i get superior sound and picture quality!

20. eclipseSD

eclipseSD Jedi Knight star 5

May 11, 2002
  21. DARTH_CHINA

DARTH_CHINA Jedi Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    widescreen without doubts

22. Imperial_Guard

Imperial_Guard Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 13, 2002
    Widescreen. No question.

Sadly, all of my OT trilogy packs except for the latest SE release are pan & scan.

But I'll always buy widescreen from now on as long as its available.

23. Darth_Vader-Anakin

Darth_Vader-Anakin Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 22, 2002
    I used to only watch pan&scan because I hated the black bars at the top and bottom of my screen. I have sinced changed my position. Now when I buy movies I get them in widescreen.

24. eclipseSD

eclipseSD Jedi Knight star 5

May 11, 2002
    I am still waiting for some more 1995 WS Box Sets on eBAY.

25. Destined_Jedi

Destined_Jedi Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 29, 2002
    Widescreen all the way!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.