main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate Pandemics in the Age of Globalization: Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion: See OP Warning

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth Punk , Jan 21, 2020.

1. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    If we're going full automation, not sure what would advantage the ultra-rich in not giving the population access, rather than sitting on a potential tinderbox? Alternatively why not just go full on Terminator and robot revolution ;) ?

2. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 6

Nov 21, 2012
    Why bother with evil robots when all they apparently need are website algorithms and half the country is ready to kill itself by not getting a vaccine cuz nano-bot microchips aluminum 5G.

3. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I like Emmanuel Macron’s statements on vaccine passports (paraphrasing here): If you choose not to get vaccinated, it is your turn to stay home. Not ours.

He also said he would not have his daughters lose any more of their adolescence because of some people who could get vaccinated but won’t.

I felt that one.

Of course France has its share of But I Don’t Wannas! who are protesting his mandate. But vaccine rates are going up.

4. DarkGingerJedi

Nov 21, 2012
    A California man who mocked Covid-19 vaccines on social media has died after a month-long battle with the virus.

"Got 99 problems but a vax ain't one," the 34-year-old tweeted to his 7,000 followers in June. He was treated for pneumonia and Covid-19 in a hospital outside Los Angeles, where he died on Wednesday.

And apparently one of the last things he said was he still would have refused getting the vaccine saying his faith would protect him. Ugh. These people. Why do they always assume god doesn't want us to use our brains and invent **** to protect us. They never choose that thought. It's always praying will save me.

5. Vaderize03

Vaderize03 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 25, 1999
    Justice Breyer spoke about this at a lecture I saw on YouTube from Harvard University a few years back; when asked about gerrymandering and the Court, he brought up research which showed that people who voted the same way were moving into neighborhoods with like-minded people, a trend which became dominant with the 2012 President election and has continued to worsen. He thought the Court banning gerrymandering would help, but has since been outvoted on the issue by his conservative (reactionary) brethren.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2021
    Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  6. paradigmes

paradigmes Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 9, 2021
    I have row with my brother because of his anti-vax views. He is big conspiracy theorist and supports moon hoax and other foolish ideas. He even made huge fool of himself recently on Facebook by post "the truth" about an alien baby cover up, until somebody told him that the photo he posted was simply a poor child which had harlequin ichthyosis. What is bad about his views is that they are dangerous. He didn't want let his wife get vaccine and she got COVID, which she recovered from, and he won't let his children have the vaccine. But worst of all is that they are the designate carer for my disabled, widowed mother, and did not take my mother to get her second vaccine because my brother got angry about it, so I took her for vaccine :(

7. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Probably the most depressing read of my morning - welcome to Florida in the midst of the Delta strain.

The worst part - that the chief nursing officer at the only hospital in the county refuses to get vaccinated.

"She empathizes with those who refuse. "I’m not going to push anything on anybody," said Tolley, who hasn't been vaccinated. "I don’t know what the virus would do to me, I don’t know how it would affect me, because everybody’s different," she said. "I also don’t know what the vaccine would do.”

8. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    How the **** did she qualify as a nurse then?

Rew, Nobody145, jcgoble3 and 9 others like this.
  9. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    My SO's sister is a nurse. She, her husband and her teenage son won't get vaccinated and regularly ridicule people who wear masks, while going out as much as possible with their other anti-vax friends.
    We haven't seen them since the pandemic began, and frankly I'm fine if we never have to see them again.

10. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Do these people use any medicine then? After all who knows what Calpol and Nurofen really do? It's terminal arrogance.

Rew, Nobody145, jcgoble3 and 6 others like this.
  11. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    Agreed. They are free to choose not to get vaccinated. Businesses are also free to choose not to let them in their store. I said it before, but we can force vaccination through inconvenience and we can do it quickly. If every stadium, concert venue, and theater required it with a ticket purchase, that would force most people to vaccinate. If it were required for renting a car, renewing a driver’s license, getting on a plane- that would do it.

You can even tie it to train tickets for larger trips like Amtrak. It would be harder for things like bus and subways - but could be incentivized if you used vaccine passport to get a discount ride. Same with any rideshares that can force it. I’m not sure what theme parks are doing now, but I have trouble believing Disney isn’t at least requiring vaccination status in some way as they track literally everything you do in the parks. And you can also mandate it for conventions, hotels, etc.

The fact is- this is possible and could be done with government support. It’s these idiots that keep it from happening.

12. Vaderize03

Vaderize03 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 25, 1999
    Multiple nurses at my hospital refused to follow guidelines during the height of the pandemic in regards to their personal lives, and a lot of them got sick. There were some who went to Trump rallies in October of 2020 and posted it on social media; that behavior is why my system now is going to fire anyone who is not fully vaccinated by September 1st and has basically said "bring it on" in regards to legal challenges.

They're tired of the bull****, and so am I.

13. DarkGingerJedi

Nov 21, 2012
    There are idiots in all professions.

14. Runjedirun

Runjedirun Force Ghost star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Nothing, theme parks are doing nothing. They are opening their doors and welcoming the masses, politely asking non vaccinated people to mask up with no intention to enforce it. A few lucky people got into Disney after their vaccinations kicked in before they stopped requiring reservations and stopped having distancing markers in lines. They even had plexiglass up in queue lines to protect people at Disney and it's been taken down. You can watch vloggers on youtube at any amusement park, it'll make you not want to go, if you care about staying away from the virus. Even vaxxed, that's too much close contact in crowds for me. And I love amusement parks.

Pensivia likes this.
  15. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    But all professions should have CPD requirements that prevent what we're talking of here. It'd be akin to a firefighter declaring there's nothing wrong with arson or lawyers saying it's OK to break the law.... Oh wait, you got a few of those too.

Rew, Nobody145, jcgoble3 and 7 others like this.
  16. DarkGingerJedi

Nov 21, 2012
    Couple of nice graphs from LA/San Diego County (I believe) showing efficacy of vaccines in that area.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Rew, Pensivia, CairnsTony and 5 others like this.
  17. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    pirates don’t eat the tourists, etc.

18. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    I'm going to go so far as to say they should not be free to not get vaccinated. I'm sure it's been said ad nauseum, but there are people out there who legitimately cannot get a vaccine, and if those of us who can get a vaccine and choose not to, then we're basically saying that the right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness of these people is weighed less than the incredibly minor inconvenience of getting a vaccine. And that is pure madness.

19. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    I assume you mean non-religious ideology?

jcgoble3 likes this.
  20. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-57962995

Cases have been falling steadily in the UK for the last 5 days, which could mean (fingers crossed) that we're past the peak of the 3rd wave. :)

I read an interesting theory that would seem to explain this - that a lot of people treated the Step 3 as Step 4, so the effect of the lifting of all restrictions on 19th July might not be as pronounced.

21. CairnsTony

CairnsTony Force Ghost star 5

May 7, 2014
    Sadly, there are nurses who are anti-vaxxers. Not even kidding.

22. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    But there would invariably be some business that would pander to the anti-vax crowd in the name of a buck [face_plain]

23. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    That's fine. There's ways to deal with them as well. And you can start with fining them federally. Though, I imagine the cancel culture crowd would take care of them easily enough.

24. black_saber

black_saber Force Ghost star 5

Apr 4, 2002
    As if better call Saul tv show is based on a true. Sarcastically speaking.

What’s it going to take to get these idiots to get vaccinated?

25. DarkGingerJedi

Nov 21, 2012
    Nothing. We might see another 5% but that would be about it.

The rest of them have made it political. And it's now wrapped up around Trump winning, them winning, the election, voting fraud, and whatever else. They'll never budge. Trump could tell them to, and they wouldn't. Jesus could tell them to and they wouldn't.