main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate Pandemics in the Age of Globalization: Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion: See OP Warning

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth Punk , Jan 21, 2020.

1. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    dum de dum… just the good news fairy returning for another sprinkling of it.

2. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 6

Nov 21, 2012
    My kid just had his routine check up this morning. The doctor - wearing mask, and plastic face guard - spoke about the new surge and how basically everyone is in PTSD mode at this point. He wasn't worried about our 2.5 year old, especially since we live in a highly vaxed areas, but really wanted the vaccines ready for the 5-12 year olds out. I mentioned how crazy it is out there, and he gave a wry smile and looks flabbergasted.

3. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Look, 72,000 kids getting sick is just the price we have to pay for freedom!!! What's the big deal??!?!?

4. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    A couple of charter schools in North Carolina are already under quarantine, a few days into school, after Covid outbreaks.

Masks were optional there, although one has changed and is now requiring them.

5. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    Is DeSantis going to flinch?

Looks like he’s running the 2020 Trump Playbook on COVID. Plan things get better on their own. Reject data showing the crisis getting worse. Keep doubling down until your political future and ego won’t let you call the crisis a crisis or change course. Get voted out of office.

DeSantis isn’t facing re-election in three months - so maybe he weathers this. If he’s going to flinch or change course now’s the time. Maybe DeSantis listens to approval ratings.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2021
  6. DarkGingerJedi

Nov 21, 2012
    No I don't think he will. That's the point. So have the school board or whatever vote and do it anyway. Call his bluff. Make him do it.

Then he either doesn't, or he moves to defund them, and what....does he think he wins that scenario? Over a bunch of school teachers and community voters ignoring him because 70,000 kids are now getting sick?

And so far MAGA have easily ignored the pandemic because it hasn't affected kids. It has allowed adults to remain selfish. It allows them to ignore the pandemic because they innocent kids aren't affected by their selfishness. But once kids start getting sick, it's a whole different game. So by election time, what's he going to run on? I defunded schools that implemented masks, and lots of kids got sick.

Once kids get sick, you're gonna get angry people.

7. Vaderize03

Vaderize03 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 25, 1999
    Once school starts up, expect those numbers to jump exponentially within 2 weeks. It will be bad everywhere at first, but blue states will enact mitigation measures and hopefully prevent the worst from happening.

The Deep South, however, will see large numbers of dead kids. Maybe—just maybe—that will get the fever to break (so to speak).

CNN reported today that according to those close to Biden, he enacted the new CDC moratorium even knowing the Supreme Court would likely strike it down. His instincts are to do more; I’m hoping he continues to follow them.

Democrats need to seize the moment and message effectively here. Unfortunately, those are the two things they’re worse at.

8. DarkGingerJedi

Nov 21, 2012
    Been waiting for MAGA fever to break, as well as the cold sweat of shame and guilt that follows, for 4 years now.

I don't think it'll happen. Even with dead kids. That'll only wake up the rest of us.

9. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    The problem is that he claimed it's "illegal" when it's not. The Court did not prohibit an extension by the President in its last ruling.

They don't seem to be good at anything except fighting like hell against moderate leftists.

Rew, Nobody145, grd4 and 6 others like this.
  10. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    @Vaderize03 - Is there any info on the Delta variant and children from May’s COVID surge in India? Data to give us an idea what numbers could look like when school restarts.

Pensivia likes this.
  11. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    It already has started up in some places, like here. That's how we get stories like this:

Just the beginning, of course.

12. DarkGingerJedi

Nov 21, 2012
    Cue Deathsantis: Students will only be allowed one extra sick day due to covid. Any student who doesn't report to school, or uses up more than their 7 allowed sick days risks in-class detention, in-class suspension, expulsion, or will be forced to repeat their grade year.

13. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    All fine until it happens to the children of affluent non-Trumpy parents. Then the lawsuits happen.

14. MagnarTheGreat

MagnarTheGreat Force Ghost star 5

Jul 21, 2016
  15. DarkGingerJedi

Nov 21, 2012
    In his, and every MAGA mind, every single case of covid can be traced back to an individual crossing the mexican border. Someone should tell him Florida borders GA, MS, AL.

His 'I don't wanna hear a blip from you until you fix the border' got applause, but was shockingly hollow, considering where his state is right now.

16. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    I don't know how you've missed the boatloads of Covid-positive immigrants coming into Florida, @DarkGingerJedi. They're everywhere.

17. Vaderize03

Vaderize03 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 25, 1999
    The sad thing is, a lot of kids may die in the meantime. And of course, DeSantis will blame the Democrats, which a lot of his base will agree with.
    I haven’t found any randomized data, but kids are both more likely to be hospitalized and more likely to become long haulers. We’re not sure why yet.

18. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    My university (in Ohio) just sent the email that mask mandates are being reinstated indoors in all university buildings effective tomorrow.

Of course, there is Senate Bill 209, which is waiting for a committee right now. If it gets voted on, it will get passed (Republicans hold veto-proof supermajorities in both chambers) and will shut down all school and university mask mandates.

On one hand, Delta is becoming a bigger concern. On the other hand, I'm ****ing sick of being forced to inconvenience myself because of anti-vaxxers. I have reached the final point where I no longer give a single **** what happens to anti-vaxxers, including whether they die of COVID regardless of how they catch it.

I kinda want Senate Bill 209 to be passed to get rid of the masks because I hate wearing them and just let the Delta variant deal with the anti-vaxxers as it sees fit while I laugh at their stupidity. How bad of a person does that make me?

blackmyron likes this.
  19. MagnarTheGreat

MagnarTheGreat Force Ghost star 5

Jul 21, 2016
    Much like that coroner in Missouri excluding COVID19 as a cause of death, if you pretend it doesn't exist it doesn't mean it can't kill you.

Nobody145, Vaderize03, Luke02 and 6 others like this.
  20. DarkGingerJedi

Nov 21, 2012
    He uh…fell out of a weather balloon. So sad.

21. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
  22. SteelLepp

SteelLepp Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 1, 1998
    It might have been those sea lions

23. DarkGingerJedi

Nov 21, 2012
    high altitude sea lions are a real problem. I wish Biden would do something about this.

24. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    Tots and pears

25. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    Kudos to his family going public with this cautionary tale.