main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate Pandemics in the Age of Globalization: Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion: See OP Warning

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth Punk , Jan 21, 2020.

1. black_saber

black_saber Force Ghost star 5

Apr 4, 2002
    Sorry about the politics, I mean the pandemic is bad but that will end at some point but the war on terror has been going on since 9/11.

We are still in this pandemic for the long hall. I was only pointing out which one we are more likely going to be out of the woods theory.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2021
  2. Vaderize03

Vaderize03 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 25, 1999
    Mentioning Trump or the War on Terror in relation to the pandemic is the equivalent of Godwinning this thread. Let's not go there.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2021
  3. ZanderSolo

ZanderSolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 18, 2007
    Talked to my old lab manager yesterday. Him and his wife had both shots as soon as available and a booster 2 months ago. They both have breakthrough cases, tested yesterday morning, and are waiting to find out if its the delta, omicron, unicron, omegamon, my viral apocalypse pony, or Covid Classic version.

He said they both feel miserable (in their 70’s). But he feels like they are basically getting watered down symptoms from the 3 shots. It shut down the toxicology lab he runs.

4. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I got my booster on Wednesday. Symptoms weren't as bad as the second dose (which wasn't that bad to begin with, just a very sore arm and some body aches that were remedied with Tylenol) but a bit worse than the first. Arm was way less sore, but I felt very tired about four hours after getting it. Still, very happy I got it and recommend everyone else to do so if you're able. A day or two of feeling like crap is way preferable to getting Covid.

5. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    My 18 year old has his booster scheduled, so everyone in the family will be triple dosed next week. In the meantime, parents are going nuts in opposition to the late-semester restrictions at the high school arising from a COVID surge among students and staff. The bulk of FB comments in the parent group: "I/my child are so done with COVID." This pandemic is a huge hassle and the cancelled drill team competition/spelling bee/swim meet/chess club tournament is going to ruin my child's future. I made the spelling bee up, but you get the idea.

6. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Thank you everyone for your well-wishes, I had a PCR test today and they must've had a pretty open lab schedule because it came back negative today. So my odds are pretteh... pretteh... pretty good.

7. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    Fantastic news, Ramza. Very happy to hear it.

8. Vaderize03

Vaderize03 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 25, 1999
    No ‘Rona for you!

Very glad to hear.

9. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    Jedi Merkurian and Luke02 like this.
  10. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 6

Nov 21, 2012
    I'm still somewhat battling this sinus junk. Finally got a telemedicine apt w my Dr who gave me a quick round of Antibiotics. Hopefully that will fight this thing off. If that doesn't work they want me to come in to their symptom checker center to get tested for covid. (even tho I took a home test a few weeks ago and passed)

I know I don't have covid. This thing is almost out of me, but just sticking around in my nose/throat.

Fifi Kenobi likes this.
  11. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    @ZanderSolo That sucks, horrifying and also somehow comforting all at the same time. We had a couple breakthrough cases among staff but all of them were very mild. The one I talked to said felt like a head cold you get this time of year anyway and is so thankful not only she is vaccinated but so is the rest of her family as they all tested negative. Hope they feel better and you stay safe!

@Rylo Ken Our finals are in two weeks. Our biggest fear is we have a massive surge in cases within the building over these last two weeks and therefore need to cancel finals and reschedule them for when we get back in mid-January. Of course we could just cancelled them all together since we have not had finals in two years and *SUPRISE* we did just fine without them. But that is a topic for another thread/day. And hear you about the parents. I took to the boys last night to our basketball game since I agree to be the scorekeeper and was so happy they sat behind me since everyone on the scorers row was masked. Look up in the stands and see maybe half the PARENTS are wearing their masks properly. Either they have as a chin diaper or not wearing it at all. Guess we see why the kids try to do the chin diaper as well.

@DarkGingerJedi There is a lot of little bugs going around besides COVID so I am sure you just pick one of those regrettably. We have quite a few kids out this past week with "COVID like symptoms" but fortunately only a few positive cases.

So the still way too early data from South Africa, here is a few recent reports:

Cannot bank on any of this holding up but any good news is welcome at this time.

12. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
  13. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
  14. Runjedirun

Runjedirun Force Ghost star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    My kids have two weeks of school before the 2 week winter break. So far, no outbreaks *knock on wood*. There's one kinda nice change this year, after 5 snow days the remaining weather days will be virtual learning days. So, we can't wrack up so many that they have to add days on in the summer. Finally, progress. There's definitely a rise of cases in the county the last few days, due to Thanksgiving travel, shopping, activity. I've noticed lots more movie ads that say "only in theaters" in the last few weeks. I am glad my youngest hasn't asked me to go to any movies. We are both vaccinated now, but I want this new variant to F off so we can relax and enjoy a movie.

I still have this really vivid memory of a mom in March of '20 at the bus stop. "So do you have any plans for Spring Break?" And me thinking we aren't going to make it until Spring Break, so I said "Thankfully, No." Every time I read an article like the one like @anakinfansince1983 linked above I have memories like that flash back. I am SO over this Pandemic, the problem is, it isn't over.

And now to dye my hair with a little box of dye because I learned how because I couldn't go to my hairdresser last year. Well, I hate it, but it's cheaper and I still don't really want to sit in a salon for 2 hours. Grrrrrrrrrrrr

Juliet316 , Luke02 and Pensivia like this.
  15. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    Graduating to the endemic stage sounds like fun. Do all 8 billion of us get a certificate? Not a death certificate obviously. Some kind of “certificate of completion.” That sounds like a euphemism for “death certificate,” but I assure you it’s not. Though it could be. I’d nominate it as a death certificate euphemism if a death certificate needed a euphemism.

16. bizzbizz

bizzbizz Jedi Master star 4

Dec 16, 2015
    Twitter running with the Australia has fallen # with right wing nutters thinking we’re setting up death camps for anti vax people jesus wept

17. black_saber

Apr 4, 2002
    I hope Australia doesn’t have as big of a nut head citizens like the United States of nuthouse america.

Luke02 likes this.
  18. bizzbizz

bizzbizz Jedi Master star 4

Dec 16, 2015
    My state has had protests for weeks over unvaccinated people not allowed into unessential shopping aka everything but the super market or chemist

But the protests have been taken over by qanon and nazi’s **** load of trump flags as well

Not the brightest bunch they think
    The police have been putting
    The vaccine in pepper spray

19. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    If only it was in pepper spray; a big chunk of the unvaccinated are people that need to get pepper sprayed for other reasons anyway

Count Yubnub and bizzbizz like this.
  20. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    I'm sorry to hear the protests in Brussels, which were supposed to be peaceful, turned violent. What I don't understand is why some of them were (reportedly) wearing black hoods [face_dunno]

21. black_saber

Apr 4, 2002
    Is it still too early to tell if the vaccines can fight the omicron variant?

22. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    Without having heard anything about this, lemme take a guess: because they're evil?

23. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    Well, they're definitely not the good guys, that's for sure. I'm just surprised this is the first I'm hearing of this. I don't think this was reported very widely before.

24. Tang Lung

Tang Lung Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 4, 2013
    Yes , we all get a certificate (of authenticity) from Kevin Martin [face_rofl]

25. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002