main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate Pandemics in the Age of Globalization: Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion: See OP Warning

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth Punk , Jan 21, 2020.

1. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    I was thinking about this last night as well, I think many people just gave up on social distancing last night even if they had been careful before.

Rew likes this.
  2. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 6

Nov 21, 2012
    I don't blame them for not socially distancing in this situation. They're fighting for their lives and our country, in many ways. Our society put a lot of these people on the front lines during the pandemic, told them they had no choice but to work, told them to work while sick, told them to risk their life for the rest of us, and then the still state murders them openly in the streets.

Rew, Nobody145, Vaderize03 and 6 others like this.
  3. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    Yes indeed it's a desperate situation.

I just found a story about this (sorry if it has paywall for some)

4. CairnsTony

CairnsTony Force Ghost star 5

May 7, 2014
    I can absolutely sympathise with the protesters, but social distancing has basically gone out of the window. Even if I was in the US, being an abject coward, I'd be really angry at the injustices meted out, but too scared to go out there and protest.

5. DarkGingerJedi

Nov 21, 2012
    Well. I hear protests are starting in London now too. I also have no doubt that Trump will twine about how if there can be protests why can't he have maga rallies. Life is so unfair for him, you know?

These protests feel like they're going to continue all summer. The police certainly aren't doing anything but to make it worse, and our national 'leaders' can't really step in and 'inspire' the protesters to go home; in fact part of the problem is the establishment in the first place. So who know, we'll probably martial law or huge military presence in cities, possibly shutting down things but for now different reasons.

6. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
  7. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    Exactly

8. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-52868465 - large crowds marching on the US Embassy in London. From the footage I'd say no social distancing is being practiced, tho pics on the BBC website show some people in masks. I'd say the US and London might see a spike thanks to all these gatherings. London protest is peaceful so far.

9. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    I hope those London protests remain peaceful @LAJ_FETT - too bad about the social distancing.

Meanwhile, in America:

Last edited: May 31, 2020
  10. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    So far they have been peaceful. (There might have been the odd idiot here and there but nothing like what I've seen in the US on the news).
    18K for a Covid test is highway robbery..

11. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    At least she had insurance... can't imagine what this is like for people without insurance :(

12. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    That's true. Makes me really appreciate the NHS here.

Rew, Pensivia, Darth Punk and 3 others like this.
  13. DarkGingerJedi

Nov 21, 2012
    What a racket. 18K for a test. During a pandemic! That money doesn't go to the doctor or the lab assistant, that's for sure.

14. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Probably not even to people like nurses and doctors on the front line treating patients.

Rew, Nobody145, Juliet316 and 5 others like this.
  15. CairnsTony

CairnsTony Force Ghost star 5

May 7, 2014
    I'm appalled. When I started exhibiting symptoms of the virus last month and went for a test, it didn't cost me a cent.

Rew, Nobody145, Count Yubnub and 3 others like this.
  16. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    People in my apartment complex almost universally aren't wearing masks and are constantly trying to get into the pool area (which is sometimes locked, sometimes not). There was a massive adult birthday party in the apartment upstairs with a bunch of people together without masks. The local Publix had about half the people with masks, but those that didn't weren't even trying social distancing - they were deliberately going about their business like the virus didn't exist.

Pensivia likes this.
  17. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Last edited: May 31, 2020
  18. Vaderize03

Vaderize03 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 25, 1999
    Definitely not. CEO executive packages and bonuses.

Cases will likely spike as a result of the protests, following which Trump will blame the protesters for trying to ‘keep America sick’ so that the economy doesn’t bounce back. He’ll even claim the protests were organized by the Democrats to spread COVID even more in an attempt to hurt his re-election chances.

Rew, Nobody145, Pensivia and 3 others like this.
  19. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    He just tweeted that he's designating antifa as a terrorist organization

20. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I had a Covid19 test about 2 weeks ago, negative cuz I'm been social distancing since before it was a thing and use masks and gloves now. I knew the swab went up your nose and was prepared for it mentally. What I wasn't prepared for? It goes so far up your nose it actually touches the tear duct in your eyeball! That part sucked ahaha

21. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    I've heard the UK ones go pretty deep into the back of the mouth as well.

22. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Health officials in California warned that the state was opening up too soon and too quickly. But the state and local governments are bowing to political pressure.

23. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    *shudders*

Pensivia likes this.
  24. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
  25. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I am pretty sure most states are opening up way to early. If Trump thinks things are bad for him now they’ll be about 10x worse in the fall and that goes for the nation as well. At this point I am almost certain the fall comeback of Corona will be worse than the first wave

Count Yubnub and Vaderize03 like this.