main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate Pandemics in the Age of Globalization: Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion: See OP Warning

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth Punk , Jan 21, 2020.

1. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    England is supposed to ease up a little starting tomorrow but between the London protest and the good weather this weekend lots of people have been heading for beaches, etc and not social distancing.

2. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    The moment summer started to come into the picture people have forgotten social distancing and it’s gonna bite us all in the ass

Luke02 likes this.
  3. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    Instead of WWI and mass gatherings pushing the disease around, it will be mass protests and stupid people pushing it. I fully expect another shutdown by Ocotber.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  4. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    What a crybaby

5. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    It's not quite that simple. The article that you linked to has only spoken to people with a clear agenda against the national health department, and they have been from the start. They have been picked up as "the lone voices", but in fact it comes from when they posted an article that was really embarrasing when it comes to scientific argumentation and it was obvious that there was more personal bias involved than actual arguments.

Sweden has differed I think in that our goal was never to eliminate the virus, but to keep it on a level that our health system could handle, and that we have done even if some regions have been stretched to the limit. Everyone who has needed ICU care has gotten it. Sweden failed to protect our elders that is clear and it will be interesting to see how this will influence routines and regulations regarding in care homes. I think the latest numbers show that more than 75% of our deaths have been people 70 years or older, and a majority of them lived in care homes. That also means that the virus isn't spreading as much in schools or shops and public spaces that are open. Sweden has done worse than our neighbours and some countries with total lockdowns, but we have managed better than other countries with total lockdowns.

I totally understand that at the moment it feels right to bash the Sweden approach. The numbers are against us, and it of course also feels better for all of you who have been in or are in lockdowns to look at the Swedish approach and then consider what you are going through worth it, or you might have ended up with Swedish figures. In the end except for the situation in the care homes, where Sweden totally failed, it will be hard to compare countries and the outcome of their approaches until well after the pandemic is over and we have all the necessary data. And our national health agency is at least open with the fact that they don't know if they have taken the right decisions, but that they are doing their best according to the data they have now.

6. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    Do you have an article that offers a good rebuttal?

7. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003

I will continue to act as though it's everywhere and that I can get it if I look at someone. My kids will NOT be going back to school till September at the earliest, Id South Korea are back on lock down again and they had it under control then we're certainly going to mess it up with this shower in charge. Still have the worst cases in Europe but we're already opening.
    It's insane

8. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    I can't find an article in English about the Swedish strategy. At the moment it seems as if all the articles in English are along the same path as the one you posted.

Rew and TCF-1138 like this.
  9. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
  10. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Literally! Like I actually cried afterwards, not from pain or fear or anything but from the fact it pushed down on my tearduct and involuntary made my eye water.

Darth Punk likes this.
  11. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    This sounds... not great.

Jedi Ben and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  12. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Leap into the meat grinder!

Juliet316 likes this.
  13. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    So long as the economy is fine who cares if everyone dies. World leaders 2020

Rew, Juliet316 and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  14. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Yeah, the death toll in Sweden is a grim number, and a lot of foreign newspapers are having a field day when they now see a chance to take us down a notch. However, where our failure lies is in protecting the people in nursing homes. Much of this has to do with previous, right-wing governments privatizing our care for the elderly, and these for-profit homes literally going to court to make sure that they wouldn't have to pay for protective equipment for their staff when the pandemic reached our shores (of course they ultimately had to provide protective gear, but it was too little too late).

Outside of nursing homes, our numbers are similar to countries that locked down completely. In some parts of the country, we've managed better than countries in lock down.

So Sweden hasn't done everything right, in fact, we royally ****ed up in some areas, but us not closing everything down doesn't really factor into that.

Obi Anne and Pensivia like this.
  15. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003

Yeah my mum with COPD will continue to stay home and have me deliver food once per week

Rew, Pensivia, Jedi Ben and 2 others like this.
  16. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    But how can the economy be fine if everyone dies, right? Kinda defeats the purpose of having an economy.

Juliet316 likes this.
  17. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Not everyone is going to die. Just a few million around the world. Maybe 10. Maybe 100. We need to run this experiment so we can find out.

Last edited: May 31, 2020
  18. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Hmm now I am curious what the worst case numbers would have been if we had done nothing

19. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    [​IMG]

20. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    An earlier model predicted that if we did nothing, there would be over half a million dead in the UK and over 2 million in the US (again, that’s if we did nothing). That study was the whole reason for the lockdown in those countries.

I don’t know what that model had to say about the world, nor do I know of any similar but more up to date models.

Last edited: May 31, 2020
    Rew likes this.
  21. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    It's insane and my parents are going to continue being cautious.

This isn't going to end well.

22. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
  23. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    I give it to July 4th and COVID-19 will once again be a dinner table companion like it was at Easter.

24. SW Saga Fan

SW Saga Fan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 19, 2015
    Hasn't it occurred to anyone's mind that the killing of George Floyd by policemen was the spark that has brought fire to an already overloaded barrel of powder in the current situation of the coronavirus pandemic?

Because:

1- The coronavirus pandemic has literally destroyed people's wealth, comfort and health, with tens of millions of people unemployed in the U.S. (as well as around the world) in just a couple of weeks;

2- People loosing their jobs, money as well as their loved ones because of the pandemic causes despair and outrage so their try to turn to their political leaders;

3- Political leaders are being irresponsible, not knowing what to do to solve the current health and economical crisis. Instead, they are trying to find scapegoats and pointing fingers towards people to blame;

4- People are loosing faith towards their governments and leaders around the world, so they now know they are on their own and have to manage things by themselves in order to survive and make it through once again in this current global health and economical crisis;

5- Now, people all around the world see policemen, who represent law and order in our societies, unfairly killing a man in the most cruel way by kneeling on him. Now people all tell to themselves: "What?!? Not only I can barely survive in this pandemic, but now, law enforcement officers will unfairly kill me like that?!" "That's enough!!"

George Floyd's last word represent what all people feel and are living through: "I can't breath!" Yes, nobody can manage to breath by struggling in this pandemic and economical crisis and by living in a more unfair world with rich people getting richer and having tax cuts, and poor people become poorer and dying, and democracy and liberties disappearing with politicians grabbing more power with this world health crisis (whether it is in Hungary, Hong-Kong, Azerbaijan, Iran, Morocco and even Jordan) . Demonstration are also occurring here in Canada against police brutality as well after those events. It's global now, not just the U.S.. And George Floyd's death might be the spark that will bring fire and consume this world...

blackmyron and Juliet316 like this.
  25. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    That's great @SW Saga Fan but COVID-19 does not care. It's going to come roaring back and were all going to wish we were back in time when problems we had were ones we could solve since that were made by humans, not by nature.