main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate Pandemics in the Age of Globalization: Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion: See OP Warning

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth Punk , Jan 21, 2020.

1. Vaderize03

Vaderize03 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 25, 1999
    Amazing how the MAGA crowd’s answer to everything they disagree with is always a noun, a verb and abortion.

Of course the idea that masks protect those who are already here is completely lost on them, since the post-born are worthless in their eyes.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2020
  2. Bilbo Fett

Bilbo Fett Force Ghost star 5

Apr 19, 2017
    Not to mention that the choice to wear a mask confers more benefit to those that one comes into close contact with than it does to yourself, provided that you choose to wear the right kind and put a little effort into wearing it properly.

But that in a nutshell is why we're, as a whole, failing so miserably at it.

Rew and anakinfansince1983 like this.
  3. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    WTF is going on in Georgia?!?!?!?!?! Even Texas, while it has many many more cases, allows for counties to pass mask ordinances.

GA sounds like a concentration camp!!!

4. SW Saga Fan

SW Saga Fan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 19, 2015
    2020 is really a good one: after the plague, we get another plague.

https://www.dhakatribune.com/world/...-seals-off-village-after-bubonic-plague-death

The WHO says there's no high risk and says the situation is well managed.

Now, where have I heard that before from the WHO? Oh yeah! Back in January and February for Covid-19!

Juliet316 and MotivateR5D4 like this.
  5. Vaderize03

Oct 25, 1999
    Different animal. Bubonic plague is a bacterial infection that can be eradicated with macrolide antibiotics. Not even in the same ballpark as COVID.

6. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    Apparently this is how they enforce mask-wearing in other countries :eek:

7. SW Saga Fan

Apr 19, 2015
    Good to know, I always already in this state:

[​IMG]

8. SW Saga Fan

Apr 19, 2015
    Authorities in India are very efficient to make sure people respect the rules unlike western countries. You just need to look at how their police have managed the lockdowns and punished the offenders:

Princess_Tina likes this.
  9. SW Saga Fan

Apr 19, 2015
    The U.S. health secretary, Alex Azar, is on a visit for 3 days in Taiwan in order to learn how Taiwan has managed to contain the coronavirus pandemic under 500 cases and 7 death. It is the highest-level visit to the island by an American diplomat in more than 40 years since the U.S. switched diplomatic relations from Taipei to Beijing in 1979.

10. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    Can you imagine?
    South China Sea: Beijing mobilises invasion craft along coast as Taiwan tensions escalate
    https://www.nzherald.co.nz/world/news/article.cfm?c_id=2&objectid=12354855

11. SW Saga Fan

Apr 19, 2015
    This should go into Asian Geopolitics section.

Juliet316 and Princess_Tina like this.
  12. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
  13. Vaderize03

Oct 25, 1999
    Social distancing. Adequate testing and contact tracing. Wearing masks.

Shame Azar had to travel to the other side of the world to be told the perfectly obvious.

Rew, CairnsTony, Nobody145 and 4 others like this.
  14. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    To add on the bubonic plague thing: https://www.healthline.com/health-news/seriously-dont-worry-about-the-plague

It's already in the US, it just is primarily not spread person-to-person, so transmission isn't as common, on top of what Vaderize said regarding it being treatable. I know areas that do have signs warning people to keep distance from animals that may be carrying it though.

15. SW Saga Fan

Apr 19, 2015
    You forgot to mention: no disinformation on the internet, and no toxic american / libertarian culture which pushes people to say nonsense stuff as: "I don't want to wear a mask! I want to protect my freedom!" or "5G causes covid-19!"

We also had an anti-mask protest here in Montreal, but they weren't necessarily people from Montreal, they were thousands coming from all over the province of Quebec and some in Ontario: https://www.mtlblog.com/news/canada...-has-sparked-a-lot-of-conversation-on-twitter

Just like this person on Twitter, I'm also waiting for the next protests againt the rules obliging you to wear your security seatbelt when driving, respecting the red light at traffic intersections, no drinking when driving, and no cellphones when driving:

Fifi Kenobi, Rew, Nobody145 and 8 others like this.
  16. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    I've mentioned this before, but I think it's likely that there's a correlation between those who refuse to wear a mask (or do so only grudgingly) and people who variously ignore many of those other laws whenever possible. I wouldn't be surprised to see some doctoral research along these lines in the future.

17. Lowbacca_1977

Jun 28, 2006
    For what it's worth, I have found that they aren't thrilled with being compared to drunk driving. And in some cases get extremely angry about that comparison.

Which is all the more reason to make said comparison, imo.

Healer_Leona , Yodaminch, Rew and 8 others like this.
  18. Vaderize03

Oct 25, 1999
    Bigger concern here will be availability of the necessary antibiotics should widespread outbreaks occur. Thanks to decades of outsourcing—not to mention cornering of supply chains thanks to pharmacy-benefit managers and group-purchasing organizations—the US could run dry really fast.

You know, like what happened with PPE. And both parties are responsible.

19. CairnsTony

CairnsTony Force Ghost star 5

May 7, 2014
    That was my immediate reaction.

In the age of mass, instantaneous communication, any eejit can get on their laptop or phone, and within minutes be reading up on what strategies Taiwan is adopting to deal with Covid-19.

When I read about a scientific breakthrough on the other side of the world say, that I think people here should know more about, I don't jump on a plane to talk to people there in person about it. I google it, like any sane person, and then inform the curious where I read about it.

In this instance, I would have thought a few emails and phone calls would have set things up nicely, in order for the information to be sent through in minutes; not least because right now might not be the best time to be setting up a meeting on the other side of the world in person.

20. SW Saga Fan

Apr 19, 2015
    I think his visit is meant to be more symbolic, especially in a changing geopolitical environment in East-Asia, but also for recognition of Taiwan's success in containing the pandemic after being denied once more a seat in the WHO three months ago, despite calls from many countries to include Taiwan.

His visit is still appreciated by the Taiwanese public, especially after being isolated and almost insulted by the WHO when the director-general, Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, falsely accused them "to be racist" towards him simply because Taiwan's government criticized the WHO's handling of the pandemic. Director-general Tedros also said he received tweets from Taiwanese people being racist towards him, while in reality it has been proven to be Chinese bots. A citizen from an outside country won't be able to see the differences, but in China, they use simplified Chinese writing, but in Taiwan, they use traditional writing...

Juliet316 , Rew and Master_Lok like this.
  21. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000

22. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    According to Vladimir Putin, his daughter has received a vaccine for the virus, as Russia has developed the first vaccine and wants to mass produce it.

This sounds... unlikely.

Darth Guy and Master_Lok like this.
  23. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Maybe he wants to get rid of his daughter. Who knows.

24. Lowbacca_1977

Jun 28, 2006
    And people say Trump and Putin are very similar

SW Saga Fan and Juliet316 like this.
  25. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Agreed. Very unlikely for what little I know about Putin.

Taiwan is doing some great things, of course everyone tip-toeing around China and boneheads like the WHO director-general prevent us from knowing some of this. I hope we can have better relations going forward.

SW Saga Fan and Rew like this.