main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate Pandemics in the Age of Globalization: Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion: See OP Warning

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth Punk , Jan 21, 2020.

1. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
  2. CairnsTony

CairnsTony Force Ghost star 5

May 7, 2014
    Well on a side note, I can read and write both traditional and simplified Chinese reasonably well and switching between the two really isn't that difficult (I posted some stuff on this in the language thread recently). I've also been to Taiwan and loved the place; one of my favourite countries. I'm not dismissing the role of bots in the grand scheme of things, far from it.

I care that they receive wider recognition for their stance on many things; and I get the approach to Taiwan politically; the country may as well not even exist in the higher echelons of world politics. I just don't think it's the best timing, otherwise politicians may as well resume their globe-trotting, which these days is nearly always symbolic to some degree. Ordinary citizens mostly don't have that luxury right now; and whilst ordinary Taiwanese citizens may, for the most part, be grateful for the visit, I'd sooner we got a global grip on this pandemic first. All of the stuff regarding the pandemic can be sorted out over distance.

SW Saga Fan likes this.
  3. Vaderize03

Vaderize03 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 25, 1999
    Reminds me of the Chinese adenovirus vaccine that they started giving their military in June. Clearly it’s been a global game-changer.

4. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    Our district is insane. They had their board meeting last night and it was PACKED. (I watched it on streaming). They introduced their new principals and had a LOT of teachers standing in the back protesting having to go back to school. It was a 3 hour meeting. I wonder how many cases will stem from just that meeting!

Meanwhile, there were cases in ONE household in Auckland, NZ and now they are asking everyone to stay home. Complete different ends of the extreme.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2020
  5. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    And they are already hording in Auckland, NZ:

I guess the first instinct in life is to panic no matter what the situation is.

And on the lighter side of the news,

*warning language*

Princess_Tina and Juliet316 like this.
  6. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Wait and see what will happen if they really find a vaccine

7. jedijax

May 2, 2013
    @Luke02, where's the Benny Hill music to go with that video lol.

Fifi Kenobi likes this.
  8. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    I was thinking more of the "Curb Your Enthusiasm" instead:

Fifi Kenobi likes this.
  9. SW Saga Fan

SW Saga Fan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 19, 2015
    Speaking of bullies and covidiots, here in Montreal, my brother passed by an Apple shop in downtown, the employees put some stands in front of the shop in order to help people get into line. They asked one of their clients to put his mask on and he refused, then the employees didn't allow him inside.

So what do you think this client did?

He turned the stands of the employees upside down: throwing the chairs and the tables on the streets, into windows and into cars. He got so angry because he was denied to enter the shop. Then the police came and close the entire street... just because of someone refused to wear a mask and was acting as a Hulk...

10. Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd Force Ghost star 4

Dec 27, 2012
    That's insulting to hulks.

11. DebonaireNerd

DebonaireNerd Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 9, 2012
    Like Four COVIDS in one day....
    [​IMG]

12. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
  13. jedijax

May 2, 2013
    @Luke02 yeah that works even better lol. That "tough" guy was carried out by that relatively skinny dude. I want to see the sequel!!!

Juliet316 likes this.
  14. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I know I probably shouldn't laugh at this depressingly stupid **** but this is the funniest anti-mask freakout I've seen so far. (Warning: lots of cursing!)

Vaderize03, Rew, SW Saga Fan and 4 others like this.
  15. CairnsTony

CairnsTony Force Ghost star 5

May 7, 2014
    Indeed. But I suppose after officially declaring its eradication a few weeks back, they feel confident that this is still in a containment stage. If they crack down, there is the chance they could deal with it once and for all.

The nearest confirmed cases to me in Queensland are more than 1500 kms away, but the state has closed all its borders nonetheless. It's not as draconian here compared with Victoria, but if we get a lot of new cases I'd expect that to rapidly change.

Juliet316 and Rew like this.
  16. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 6

Nov 21, 2012
    Arlington, MA had their school board meeting last night where they released their hybrid model and its a complete ****show from what I understand of it. One of the best comments online was "You have second graders opening in person 2.5 days a week at 8:30am, but kindergarten starts at 8:30am remotely 5 days a week. Am I supposed to leave my 5 year old home alone to start remove learning while I drive to school to drop off my second grader? Is that okay now?!?"

Obviously some of this wasn't thought out at all.

Or like how teachers are being forced to teach not only the kids who come in, but also simultaneously teaching kids who choose remote learn by a screen behind them. Then there are other questions about high school students being forced to change rooms every period, in 3 minutes, while still staying 6 feet a part in the hall. lol.

I feel like by October we will all be remote and these plans will be thrown out.

17. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I think the guy in that clip hit most of the words on our disallowed word list.. :p

18. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    The funny thing is that he goes on while being dragged out by his son! At that point he's just a parrot.

19. Runjedirun

Runjedirun Force Ghost star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Our poor district threw out their plans just weeks after making them. And they are still desperately trying to figure out plans for safe return. Because even though they agreed on an all virtual start, they also agree it's important to get kids back into the building to learn. I really feel for the educators and staff stuck in meetings until midnight hashing out plans that just get tossed.

Pensivia and DarkGingerJedi like this.
  20. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
  21. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    Around here the talk isn't so much about the schools, but how crowding in public transport can be avoided when people are working and children are going to school. The recommendation is definitely to work from home, but more people are probably going to come into the office compared to what it was like in spring.

22. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Work places could probably stagger their hours (come in earlier or later than the kids travel hours) to alleviate some of the crowding. I think some work places in London have already done that to avoid crowding on trains and the Tube.

23. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    And at least one of the larger cities have staggered the schoolday for the upper secondary schools.

24. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    Right now @LAJ_FETT , governments around the world should be giving out incentives for businesses to keep their employees if possible. I honestly it will not be until next spring when Point of Care/Home Kit testing is readily available along with therapeutics and *fingers crossed* the vaccinations are starting to take flight that we can get out of really an "hibernation" and really start think about a very slow "recovery" from all of this.

And more growing evidence that why some people (roughly half) of people simply have little to no effects of COVID-19:

https://science.sciencemag.org/content/early/2020/08/04/science.abd3871

So hopefully in six months or so we can begin to learn how to make it so the other half has the same thing. Question is can people keep their "fill in the blank" until then.

25. Vaderize03

Vaderize03 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 25, 1999
    Most likely scenario is that the virus becomes less virulent over time and settles into a pathogen that causes little more than the common cold. We’re at least a year away from that, though.

Also, evidence has emerged that the more vaccinations you’ve had, the less likely you are to develop severe disease. This makes sense as vaccines ‘prime’ the immune system, much like lifting weights makes one’s muscles stronger.