main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate Pandemics in the Age of Globalization: Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion: See OP Warning

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth Punk , Jan 21, 2020.

1. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    People who blame me disregard bars or the company’s policy especially during a pandemic should be fired

Master_Lok and Juliet316 like this.
  2. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    I don't think it's been brought up, but it seems worth mentioning that there's a documentary about the early COVID response in the US called "Totally Under Control" which includes talking to a lot of people that either were involved in state/local responses or had been in federal positions in the past, plus people that were covering this in the US or elsewhere.

Currently watching it, but so far the US response is a lot worse than I had thought it was. Which I think says a whole lot given how bad it looked to begin with.

3. Runjedirun

Runjedirun Force Ghost star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    I can't decide if watching this will upset me too much in the current moment or if it'll be interesting. I watched the trailer earlier this week.

Juliet316 likes this.
  4. CairnsTony

CairnsTony Force Ghost star 5

May 7, 2014
    A lot of people aren't aware that Jacinda Ardern, PM of NZ, was elected on less than 36% of the vote back in 2017. There's little doubt that her handling of the coronovirus pandemic has been an important factor in her re-election with around 49% of the vote, this time around.

To other national leaders: be more like Jacinda.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2020
  5. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
  6. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    White House to Tennessee: Mask mandate must be statewide.

So while Trump continues to mock mask wearers (even after a three day stay in the hospital where they pumped him full of drugs so he wouldn't crash) and boosts "we are over the pandemic", his government quietly mandates masks be mandatory throughout an entire state which btw is a MAGA one. Seven months later and Trump still thinks he is "America's cheerleader" (ugliest cheerleader ever btw) who says things publicly to make his followers feel good but even his own government knows he is full of "fill in the blank".

Seriously when we finally get out of the timeline where Biff steals the sports almanac!!

Last edited: Oct 17, 2020
  7. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    Yeah... its a bit of both, really

8. Runjedirun

Runjedirun Force Ghost star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    I went ahead and watched Totally Under Control last night. It made me angry and scared. Not overwhelmingly since I already knew the US Govt had lied to us but to just have it all confirmed and learn new lies, UGH.

We are letting the virus run rampant here now. Lots of people (my 70 yr old mom included) think heard immunity is the best and only answer. She'll ask me what else can we do and if you try to explain the models done in other countries, "How do you know it worked? How do you know they aren't lying to us about their numbers?" It's infuriating.

Our only hope is new leadership, but is January 21st too late to start fixing this? I recommend the documentary well done and informative.

9. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Cases are rising here, not so much in the urban areas but in surrounding counties. And Dan Forest, who is running to unseat Gov. Cooper, would reopen all schools with no remote learning option and no mask requirement. That’s DeathSantis level of nonsense; even Gov. McMaster in South Carolina is allowing a remote option. I need Cooper to win re-election as badly as I need Trump to lose, for my own safety.

10. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    We're already spiking here - daily cases surpassed 4000 for the first time since August. We're on our way back to July numbers.

The same old narrative by conservatives continues, though - an emphasis on the death rate is real low and maybe the number of deaths are lower than so-called 'experts' say while trying to avoid discussing people who recover are often suffering permanent physical damage and elderly people are the vast majority of people dying at all costs.

Edit: ... and Miami Beach is giving in and ending its curfew after a court ruling forced them to. In the hardest hit region in Florida. ****ing idiots.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2020
  11. Vaderize03

Vaderize03 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 25, 1999
    Florida hospital CEO’s need to file a lawsuit demanding absolute immunity from all things COVID when they run out of equipment and beds. Of course, they’ll want liability protection for when their employees get sick from having inadequate PPE, but they shouldn’t get it.

It’s bat**** insane. In many ways I still can’t believe it.

12. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    It seems as though almost every state in the union is at some level of insanity. It's a spectrum from wanting to maintain the illusion of normalcy to Florida.

13. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    I think Covid-19 is an enforcer of accountability the likes of which we've not seen in modern times within the United States, and particularly towards people who tend to brush off following rules. The virus can't be bought, negotiated with, or ignored, all of which are tactics that conservatives have used with other problems over the past many decades. It just does its thing.

The same people who see themselves as being above the rules in life are among the most likely to be infected (and, unfortunately, to infect others). You may not get sick the first several times you behave irresponsibly, but it will eventually happen.

14. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Yep, the previously perfect strategy of shameless arrogance doesn't work on a virus, who knew?

15. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Rew likes this.
  16. Lordban

Lordban Isildur's Bane star 7

Nov 9, 2000
    Oh, right, we're under curfew. I can't leave for work for another half hour :p

Ireland's also going into lockdown, for 6 weeks.

17. Lordban

Nov 9, 2000
    Bittersweet realization this morning: between the curfew, which lasts frm 9PM to 6AM, and the obligation to wear a mask outside, which lasts from 7AM to 3AM, there's only one hour in the day when I'm allowed to breathe fresh air without a filter. It's sobering to realize one has entered a world where breathing freely is no longer something one can take for granted...

18. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    You can always stand next to an open window... ;)

Lordban likes this.
  19. Lordban

Nov 9, 2000
    Blblblbl :p

20. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 6

Nov 21, 2012
    Finally got my flu shot. No line at cvs.

Head pharmacist says hes never seen anything like this in terms of people coming in to get one. Outmatched their highest expectations.

21. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    My pharmacist's appointment book was fairly full when I went for mine last week.

Rew likes this.
  22. Lordban

Nov 9, 2000
    Same phenomenon here. The first day of flu vaccine sales was yesterday, and because of this year's anticipated demand, pharmacists had stocked up more than usual. The figures are in, more than half of them ran out before the day was over.

Rew, Juliet316 and DarkGingerJedi like this.
  23. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Good people being smart plus the last few years of pharmacies now giving out the shot is a lot more convient than going to your doctors office or a clinic

Last edited: Oct 20, 2020
    Rew, Fifi Kenobi and Juliet316 like this.
  24. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 6

Nov 21, 2012
    yup. My doc apt got pushed back til next month and I didn't want to wait anymore. Luckily for me, just as I got my shot, a mom and 3 daughters, and another old guy got in line for shots. Glad I didn't have to wait.

Juliet316 likes this.
  25. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    [​IMG]

what in the hell is going on in the czech republic. it looks like they handled this brilliantly for 9 months, until one day they decided not to.

KissMeImARebel likes this.