main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate Pandemics in the Age of Globalization: Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion: See OP Warning

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth Punk , Jan 21, 2020.

1. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    A week from the election and the US is seeing peek COVID-19. What timing.

But what happens next week and the week after as numbers continue to rise.

2. Lordban

Lordban Isildur's Bane star 7

Nov 9, 2000
    A lame duck Trump administration fighting to stay on despite having lost hard, and forgoing further COVID response.

3. CairnsTony

CairnsTony Force Ghost star 5

May 7, 2014
    Per capita infection rates, and other grim data:
    https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

If I'm reading it correctly, the top infection rates in Europe per million read as:
    Andorra: 58,431.
    Vatican City: 33,666.
    Belgium: 29,923.
    Montenegro: 27,690.
    Czechia: 27,276.
    Spain: 25,549.
    San Marino: 25,093.
    Luxembourg: 24,886.
    Gibraltar: 20,245.
    Netherlands: 18,661.
    France: 18,351.
    Switzerland: 15,638.
    UK: 13,857.
    Iceland: 13,659.
    Slovenia: 13,571.
    North Macedonia: 13, 357.
    Malta: 13,034.

There clearly aren't anywhere near 33K people in the Vatican, such are stats; and the very high figures for micro-states reflect the fact that practically everyone there has been tested, probably repeatedly. This may give an indication of how much higher actual infection rates are in other countries.

Of course there are many other variables too: rates of testing; who is being counted; how individual countries are handling the pandemic, and so on.

We can of course expect some of these figures to continue to go up sharply in the coming weeks. France's growth curve is near vertical, though Italy (still not high enough to qualify for a top place), and the UK, are trying very hard to catch up.

Almost reads like a sort of perverse medals table that no one wants to top.

NB: no sign of Sweden anywhere, after it has been consistently reported to have one of the highest infection rates.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2020
    Pensivia and Lordban like this.
  4. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Is the US the highest per capita in the world?

5. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    I have gone full Vulcan when greeting people now outside of my wife and kids:

[​IMG]

I also tried to push the no touch high five/smear from Demolition Man but not enough people know it:

[​IMG]

6. CairnsTony

May 7, 2014
    No. There are several countries that are higher; though of course it has the highest total figure.

The US's rate per million is: 27,352. Compare that with:
    Qatar: 46,990.
    Bahrain: 46,957.
    Aruba: 41,501.
    French Guyana: 34,527.
    Israel: 33,967.
    Panama: 30,075.
    Belgium: 29,923.
    Kuwait: 28,877.
    Armenia: 27,875.
    Montenegro: 27,690.
    Czechia: 27,276.
    Peru: 26,948.
    Chile: 26,372.
    Brazil: 25,560.
    Spain: 25,549.
    Luxembourg: 24,886.
    Argentina: 24,663.

Pensivia and Jedi Knight Fett like this.
  7. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    There's always the Arnold Rimmer salute from Red Dwarf as well..

8. Rew

Rew Chosen One star 5

Dec 22, 2008
    I’m... totally going to use that line.

You know, between that and “Zoomsgiving,” you’re on a roll today, @Runjedirun. :p

9. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    Sweden has the advantage of having a pretty low population density. Overall its numbers look much better than those in the rest of Europe, but when you look at its neighbours, who are far more similar in size and density, Sweden looks really bad. Not so much against Denmark, but definately against Norway and Finland. The numbers in Norway are currently rocketing up, but that still puts them at just 1/5th to 1/6th of the new cases Sweden has, whose numbers are going up in the same way. Factor in population, and Norway's numbers are a bit above 1/3rd of Sweden's, while Finland is roughly at 1/4th of the numbers. Sweden, Finland and Denmark have all shot past their high-water marks in spring, Norway has just reached that number now (on a 1 week rolling average).

10. CairnsTony

May 7, 2014
    Yes I know. I was referencing the numerous comments, not just here but all over social media that attempted to paint a picture of Sweden being one of the worst affected countries, primarily based on how they compare with other Scandy countries. As you can see, there are quite a few countries with much higher infection rates.

That is not an endorsement on my part of any form of herd immunity strategy, merely a call for more rigorous analysis of the data we have when compared against those policies. Sweden's infection rate currently stands at: 11,652 per million.

Germany has a far greater population density than Sweden, with a lot of large, densely urbanised cities, but their infection rate currently stands at: 5,690. It looks set to go up sharply, but it does suggest that the country has had one of the most effective strategies in dealing with the pandemic so far in Europe, and is set to go back into lockdown; something which is being resisted in many other places.

11. KissMeImARebel

KissMeImARebel Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    Team Vulcan Salute (... but since no one else is doing it I side with Team Elbow).

Darth Punk and Juliet316 like this.
  12. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    If we are talking new ways to say hello through bodily touch. I am team elbow. But I also think hello exists for a reason.

KissMeImARebel and CairnsTony like this.
  13. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    Two useful charts here, the first is the total number of cases per capita (for US and the EU countries):
    http://91-divoc.com/pages/covid-vis...a-source=jhu&xaxis=right#countries-normalized

And the second is the 7-day average, which better shows who's having the largest spikes now:
    http://91-divoc.com/pages/covid-vis...a-source=jhu&xaxis=right#countries-normalized

Main takeaways being that the US is still way up at the top in total cases, although several European countries are trying to close the gap or surge ahead

Count Yubnub likes this.
  14. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    It just seems people around the world forgot how dangerous and spreadable it can be

15. PCCViking

PCCViking 6x Wacky Wednesday Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Jun 12, 2014
    They know. They just don't care.

Fifi Kenobi and Juliet316 like this.
  16. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    It's a combination of not caring but also fatigue. People are tired of staying home and isolated. I certainly am (although I can still go home to visit the parents) but I still practice social distancing and all that.

17. Dark Ferus

Dark Ferus Chosen One star 8

Jul 29, 2016
    Appropriate hugger by default but I usually resort to elbow

Darth Punk , Rew and CairnsTony like this.
  18. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    Results will look very different for the US if you separate it out by state. Currently the least-infected state is Vermont, where a cumulative .3% of people have received a positive test at some point. The highest-infected state is currently North Dakota, where 5.1% (!!!) of people have received a positive diagnosis at some point, with cases rapidly rising (South Dakota is #2).

19. Lordban

Nov 9, 2000
    Well, I already knew the upper crust didn't intend to respect a new lockdown here. What's new is how pissed off the "France that gets up early" is. In the end, it seems most people here blame someone else and intend to carry on as usual despite lockdown; I wouldn't be surprised if there were demonstrations to attempt to get it lifted. And I don't expect a lockdown that doesn't get respected to work, obviously...

20. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    That Sweden is having a herd immunity approach is one of the biggest myths around. Our public health department has never had herd immunity as a strategy. Where Sweden differs from many other countries is the long term planning. Less restrictions that people might respect over a longer period, rather than fluctuating between less restrictions and hard lockdowns. The Swedish strategy is also not to eradicate the virus and stop the spreading completely, it's about making the compromise of keeping society as open as possible, while not overwhelming the health care system. This might seem cold, since that means a calculation that more people will get infected than if you lock everything down, but there is also the calculation that if we keep the virus away from vulnerable populations then most of the people that gets the virus will only get mild infections. There is also an interesting curve that shows that a majority of the people who died at the start of the pandemic in Sweden, were already infected when Sweden and other countries started with regulations and lockdowns. A hard lockdown hadn't mattered. That together with finding corona virus in tests from December shows that the virus was probably spreading earlier here than in our neighbouring countries.

Anyway we are definitely in the second wave here looking at the number of cases. Over the weekend the patients in ICU doubled,but for the rest of the week they have remained on that level. Hopefully those numbers won't continue to spike, but that we will see them stabilize before going down. We are also testing a lot more than in the spring, so it's not possible to compare absolute numbers. I can't find any numbers comparing the rate of positive tests between spring and now, that would be more interesting to look at. The second wave is also worst in our major cities, which means that the problem there is definitely related to public transport and crowding when you have a higher population density than the rest of the country.

And I prefer the vulcan salute, since it's a good test to see how nerdy the other person is.

21. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Look at all you normies new to life without physical contact. I was avoiding physical contact before it was cool.

The next step is the Don't Touch Me Face, which I mastered a long time ago. Get on my level.

22. Lordban

Nov 9, 2000
    Conversation this morning:

"We were all stressed and depressed during the last lockdown."
    "I wasn't, it was easy for a grouchy bear like me."

Jedi Ben likes this.
  23. CairnsTony

May 7, 2014
    I was actually defending Sweden's strategy to a degree, but it probably didn't come across that way. Most people I've spoken to are harshly critical of Sweden's strategy. The science behind wearing masks, social distancing and washing one's hands is pretty unequivocal now, but aspects of lockdown measures are more open to question. I'm actually pretty tired of reading posts on my FB feed and on Twitter talking about what an unmitigated disaster Sweden's policy has been; there's more to this that I think is overlooked as you point out. Having said that, sources differ on whether this has benefitted Sweden's economy much, if at all, if the intention was to do that. At least most people have been able to stay in work, so that's something.

Having said that, lockdown here in Aus was absolutely draconian and it appears to have been remarkably successful. We have returned to normal in North Queensland; the second wave has been and gone. Fresh outbreaks have typically been where someone has lied about where they've been; and we would have been covid-free here in Queensland had the women who went on the shopping trip to Melbourne and brought it back with them, not lied about what they declared. It is still all but impossible for me to travel outside the state or abroad, but at least I can go about my business with complete freedom on a local basis at least.

24. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Yeah, I personally know exactly one person who lost their job due to this, and that's me. And I'm still able to get by as a freelancer. Everyone I know has been able to keep their job.

That being said, obviously a lot of businesses and fields have still been hit hard by this. Restaurants, pubs and stores (both the local, small ones and big franchise ones) have been put out of business.

As for Sweden's strategy, generally I think it has worked pretty well. Even though we never went into lockdown, it's not as if life has gone on as usual here. People generally keep their distance, many restaurants are take-away only, people work from home to a much larger degree, and large gatherings are almost non-existant. I won't be able to see my family this Christmas, as inter-region travel is not recommended, etc. etc. etc.
    The one thing I find ridiculous is that we're still not recommended to wear masks. I've seen maybe twenty people wearing masks since the pandemic started. I think this is an unfortunate case where our state epidemiologist was convinced (along with most experts) that masks wouldn't help, but then when overwhelming evidence showed the opposite he doubled down so people wouldn't know he'd been wrong. It's rather stupid.

But as Anne said, Sweden was never going for the herd-immunity strategy. That's something that foreign (I think German originally, but don't quote me on that) media completely made up.

CairnsTony likes this.
  25. Lordban

Nov 9, 2000
    Foreign politicians would be the original culprits.

CairnsTony likes this.