main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate Pandemics in the Age of Globalization: Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion: See OP Warning

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth Punk , Jan 21, 2020.

1. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
  2. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    Fast and reliable testing is needed everywhere. Around here you are told to stay at home from work as soon as you show symptoms, but then it can take a couple of days to get a time to test, and another 48 hours before you get the result. That means that if you are a teacher or working with health care there is a minimum of 4-5 days when the person can't work and there is need to find a substitute, which is starting to get really tricky. If you could get a test and a result within 24 hours that would help a lot with keeping the health care system and education system staffed.

3. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    Wow, I didn't realize the testing time was that delayed elsewhere (read: outside America). The one time I needed a test here I scheduled it for later the same day and got the result the next day. So 36 hours tops, I think.

4. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    Got my latest test back in just over 24 hours (36 ish). Negative again thankfully. I have a bad sinus infection sadly but at least it isn't COVID related.
    Required to take another test in December and January- fine by me. They can test me weekly for all I care.

5. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    I booked a test last Thursday, and the first available time was on Sunday. I still haven't gotten the results. So yeah, there's certainly a delay here.

6. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I had to wait a day to get tested because there were no appointments, but when I got the test, it was the rapid version and my results were back in 15 minutes. Those are not as reliable but I did not have symptoms, I had just been around someone who came down with it.

7. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    My local top tier research hospital requires it's staff to get flu shots, but not the coronavirus vaccine ... Wtf

8. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    How can they require something that isn't available yet and when it will be is still unclear?

Last edited: Nov 24, 2020
  9. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    I mean that they aren't requiring it even when it's available. They told their staff it's up to them if they get it.

10. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Not sure if they will require it here in the UK for frontline NHS and care home staff but those groups are at the top of the current priority list.

11. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    They're at the top of the list for Missouri's plan too. It just confused me that you'd require flu shots but not shots for something worse than the flu.

Juliet316 likes this.
  12. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    The first at home test just got approved by the FDA but we will really not see those on the market until March or no. Ultimately until you can test yourself at home everyday, testing is simply going to lag and again that won't happen to the spring or so.

Lowbacca_1977, Juliet316 and Rew like this.
  13. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Well, my results came back, and I have tested positive for Covid-19.
    I've had a fever since Wednesday night, and some coughing, along with feeling very tired and fatigued.

I have no idea how I got it, as I have been exceedingly cautious, but apparently not enough.

14. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Ah crap. I hope you just get a mild case.

15. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 6

Nov 21, 2012
    Feel better mate. That really sucks.

16. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
  17. Vaderize03

Vaderize03 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 25, 1999
    Stay hydrated. If you feel short of breath at any time, call your doctor immediately.

If you’re able to find them, zinc and copper supplements along with elderberry may shorten the duration of the illness. Zinc actually inhibits the enzymes used by multiple viruses to replicate; while randomized trials have not been done here, there is a substantial amount of anecdotal evidence that this type of supplementation may lead to a milder and shorter duration of illness.

Keep us posted. Let me know if there’s anything I can do.

18. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    I've read in the UK press that Vitamin D can help as well. Doctors recommend taking that in the autumn/winter here since we really don't get enough sun to make it naturally at this time of year.

19. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    I don't thin there are any quick tests around here, they all take 48 hours to get a result.

20. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
  21. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
  22. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    @TCF-1138, wishing you the very best. i'm sorry you have to deal with that.

23. Pensivia

Pensivia Force Ghost star 5

Apr 24, 2013
    Best wishes for a speedy recovery @TCF-1138 !

24. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    Yeah, hopefully it'll be something you just shrug off @TCF-1138. Just bad luck you've caught it in the first place.

25. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Best wishes TCF 1138.

I have convinced my extended family to do a Zoom Christmas where we mail each other gifts, open them on camera, and play some sort of game my aunt is gonna come up with.